Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Hank_Moody

Original post by Hank_Moody
Thanks to both of you - and I've never heard the expression "clothes horse" before, that's my new favourite english word :biggrin:

oh boy will you need one of those! Storing them in the bath if you have en-suite is my tip
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Rahl
oh boy will you need one of those! Storing them in the bath if you have en-suite is my tip

Especially when you pay £1 for a dryer to dry your clothes and they come out damp :colonhash:

Top tip: don't over fill them.
Reply 1582
Original post by TheTallOne
Especially when you pay £1 for a dryer to dry your clothes and they come out damp :colonhash:

Top tip: don't over fill them.

That tip is a year late :colonhash: I used to stuff mine till there was no space left :colondollar:
Reply 1583

Original post by kuks
That tip is a year late :colonhash: I used to stuff mine till there was no space left :colondollar:

It depends which dryer you use as well. Some will just not dry regardless of the load. What I do is I go in and select a dryer that someone has just been used. If it's really damp inside then don't use it, but if it's warm and dry then go for it.
How did Warwick gain such a reputation for Maths? Im looking to apply there next year, as a firm or insurance, but over the years it has suddenly jumped to what is the second best university in England! (for Mathematics), and thats no easy feat, how!?
Original post by Jampolo
How did Warwick gain such a reputation for Maths? Im looking to apply there next year, as a firm or insurance, but over the years it has suddenly jumped to what is the second best university in England! (for Mathematics), and thats no easy feat, how!?

In the 46 years the university has been around, lots of investment has been put into the Maths course, some say that it is one of the uni's flagship departments. Even 10 years ago there were about 800 undergraduates in total enrolled - and that made it the largest undergraduate department at the time. On the whole, I think the department is now used as a magnet to try and get the best staff, not just for the Maths department but for the entire university.

Since the move to the new building in 05-06, I think the facilities make it even more attractive to new undergraduates, compared to some of the facilities that other Maths departments have.
Does anything happen on campus/near campus after the Saturday 10am when 30 week let people have to move out? Do people generally just go home for the holidays or do some people stick around campus/Leamington/Coventry/the local area?

Thanks
Reply 1587
vast majority of people go home after the end of the under graduate term, there are still some masters and phd students about but thats pretty much it, even people who have to rent private in leam or cov and have paid for the full year usually go home....see old friends, saves money on bills, and as most other people are home, i think certain campus things like the duck stay open but usually on a much reduced time schedule, basically nothing much happens
Reply 1588
personally i really like the runny drip paint art on side of the stair case in the maths lecture building :biggrin:
Original post by yabbayabba
Does anything happen on campus/near campus after the Saturday 10am when 30 week let people have to move out? Do people generally just go home for the holidays or do some people stick around campus/Leamington/Coventry/the local area?

Thanks

Easter (especially in later years) can be a bit more busy than Christmas because people are revising for (more) important exams, but otherwise life on campus quickly dies out. In the week leading up to the start of term it might get a bit busy again (for people who have some room over the holidays) simply to give them time to settle in/shop/stuff.

When will university confirm us about the accommodation??
And what if I change course AFTER I receive my accommodation is confirmed will I lose my originally appointed room???
Original post by cazzy-joe
When will university confirm us about the accommodation??
And what if I change course AFTER I receive my accommodation is confirmed will I lose my originally appointed room???

What's your current situation - do you have Maths firm? (Can't fully remember)

You get your offer in the first half of September.
What's your current situation - do you have Maths firm? (Can't fully remember)

You get your offer in the first half of September.

Yes, maths - firm
morse - insurance

I'm quite worried right now coz I have to post them my documents to verify my results as I applied as independent candidate and also one friend of mine who did IB got accepted by Warwick but till date she has not receive CAS yet.
Hope everything won't be hotchpotch on results day.
Yes, maths - firm
morse - insurance

I'm quite worried right now coz I have to post them my documents to verify my results as I applied as independent candidate and also one friend of mine who did IB got accepted by Warwick but till date she has not receive CAS yet.
Hope everything won't be hotchpotch on results day.

Ok, so either you need to switch courses completely by the 31st July or try switch after the accommodation offer. Make sure you submit your results to them before the 31st August as well.

If you switch in August (and perhaps before you electronically sign your contract in September) then there will be a chance you will be moved into group 4. At the moment you will be in group 2 or 3 for accommodation depending on what your results are.

What do you plan on switching?
Ok, so either you need to switch courses completely by the 31st July or try switch after the accommodation offer. Make sure you submit your results to them before the 31st August as well.

If you switch in August (and perhaps before you electronically sign your contract in September) then there will be a chance you will be moved into group 4. At the moment you will be in group 2 or 3 for accommodation depending on what your results are.

What do you plan on switching?

To chemistry:frown:
I had unofficial discussion with a tutor though but haven't completely take on action.
To chemistry:frown:
I had unofficial discussion with a tutor though but haven't completely take on action.

Hmmm, do you think you will make either offer? If you don't make your offer then it will be inevitable that you will have to come in through clearing if you don't switch, and you will be placed in group 4 for accommodation. Yes, Chemistry in the past has been available in Clearing, but there are no assurances at the moment.

So option 1 will be to try and switch in the next 7 days. Contact the department on Monday and formally announce that you want to switch, and basically you have until Friday to sort everything out with both departments and Warwick Accommodation to ensure that you will retain accommodation. Get phone numbers and try speed things along with this because you need to have completed everything by the 31st July. If you can't switch in time then still try switch as early as possible - group 4 is done on a first come, first served basis, but it is likely you could end up in Westwood sharing (your choices might then be irrelevant), or depending on student numbers, off campus.

Option 2 is where you try meet one of your current offers. If you do then hurrah, you have a place at the university. Although you need to sit it out for 3 weeks until accommodation is sorted out and an accommodation offer is given to 100% ensure you have a place on campus. Then you need to try switch to Chemistry, which might be possible since it does go into Clearing. But you might end up stuck with MORSE/Maths (if you still want to do it then that's great, but if you don't then you could be wasting a year of fees and living expenses). Also there is the chance that you miss your offer and end up having to enter via clearing anyway, and you will be further down the list for group 4, with an even lesser chance of a place on campus.

So is the reason you are switching because you don't want to do the course or don't think you can get in? Also, you are lucky since you hold two offers and you can decide to try and sacrifice one of them to get into Warwick and still hold the other one as firm/insurance if needs be. And if say the Maths department refuses your switch, you can always try the Stats department. Obviously you need the Chemistry department to accept, but I'd say they are usually quite welcome to the idea, provide you have the grades.

Best of luck :smile:
Hmmm, do you think you will make either offer? If you don't make your offer then it will be inevitable that you will have to come in through clearing if you don't switch, and you will be placed in group 4 for accommodation. Yes, Chemistry in the past has been available in Clearing, but there are no assurances at the moment.

So option 1 will be to try and switch in the next 7 days. Contact the department on Monday and formally announce that you want to switch, and basically you have until Friday to sort everything out with both departments and Warwick Accommodation to ensure that you will retain accommodation. Get phone numbers and try speed things along with this because you need to have completed everything by the 31st July. If you can't switch in time then still try switch as early as possible - group 4 is done on a first come, first served basis, but it is likely you could end up in Westwood sharing (your choices might then be irrelevant), or depending on student numbers, off campus.

Option 2 is where you try meet one of your current offers. If you do then hurrah, you have a place at the university. Although you need to sit it out for 3 weeks until accommodation is sorted out and an accommodation offer is given to 100% ensure you have a place on campus. Then you need to try switch to Chemistry, which might be possible since it does go into Clearing. But you might end up stuck with MORSE/Maths (if you still want to do it then that's great, but if you don't then you could be wasting a year of fees and living expenses). Also there is the chance that you miss your offer and end up having to enter via clearing anyway, and you will be further down the list for group 4, with an even lesser chance of a place on campus.

So is the reason you are switching because you don't want to do the course or don't think you can get in? Also, you are lucky since you hold two offers and you can decide to try and sacrifice one of them to get into Warwick and still hold the other one as firm/insurance if needs be. And if say the Maths department refuses your switch, you can always try the Stats department. Obviously you need the Chemistry department to accept, but I'd say they are usually quite welcome to the idea, provide you have the grades.

Best of luck :smile:

Hmm thank you so much for a very very long reply:biggrin:
I'm quite sure I will meet the morse offer but maths is 50/50 coz of STEP/AEA but morse do not require one of these.
I can't switch before 31st July as I want to make sure I get my results first and then things will be much easier by then like if suppose I have to find other university through clearing and all and yeahh there is chance I wont meet the offer but it's very unlikely (according to me :biggrin:)
I'm actually wanting to switch because I do not want to study maths/morse now and not because I wont meet the offers.

there is westwood sharing too??? I dint know that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1597

there is westwood sharing too??? I dint know that.

I lived in Westwood. Basically, what happens is Westwood has very large rooms, and in some of the rooms they put in two beds so the room can be shared. Although each person has their own bed and internet socket, the sink, desk, wardrobe are shared. At the start of term, there will be a few people who decide not to do their current course, or they just don't show up so that frees up some rooms. Then as the courses start, some people drop out or find a place off campus. Eventually, by the end of the first term, everyone sharing has their own room somewhere.

However, since there is a new accommodation building, this will affect the numbers of rooms available so I don't know how much the scheme will be used this year, if at all.
Reply 1598
Do you need a black suit during your first term as a PPE fresher? Are there in general many events that require a suit and if so, which one are these?
I don't think this year Maths Phys students were taught through the 'workbook' method for Analysis I, rather you have lectures along with MORSE/Maths Stats students. I created the following timetable for a typical week in term 1. This only includes lectures and seminar classes. Tutorials and supervisions are not included, but perhaps add 3 hours per week to that. Core modules are shown in blue (if it isn't blue and more like purple, I apologise, but I'm colour blind :colonhash:), option modules are shown in red.
Foundations is a Maths module, different from Physics Foundations.
PF is Physics Foundations (weeks 1-5)
E+M is Electricity and Magnetism (week 6-10)
CMSR is Classical Mechanics and Special Relativity.
In two blocks PF and E+M share the same times, the third lecture is at different times.

I've also included one 'Tutorial' in there as well as it is timetabled, you have a choice of 3.

Intro to Geometry is an optional module in weeks 6-10
The Friday Foundations Tests occur on even weeks (wk 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10).

I count 20 hours of contact if you do Intro to Geometry and also have a Foundations test. Else on a 'good' week you get 16 hours.

In terms of taking a language module - it's 24 or 30 CATS (can't really remember exactly how much). You can't take 'beginners' language modules in year 3, at least that is the case in the Maths department as of next year. I think language modules add about 3 hours to the week (contact time).

You will have more work in later years and the earlier you take language modules, the more you can take in later years (Erasmus if you can do it as well after year 2 might be an option). It also counts less if you take it in year one and screw up.

I'd doubt you will have as much free time in later years. Remember you need to commute in during the mornings and evenings, adding perhaps an hour or even more to your day.

Thank you so so much! This has helped a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest