The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Adarah
no, I won't be going home over the winter holidays... I'm not sure where I'll be exactly, but somewhere in the UK :wink: . But it wouldn't make any difference where I was going to uni, I'd still be unsure what to pack :redface:

:biggrin: Fair enough! Just go with your instincts and what you like. Prioritise what you want to take and you never really wear all the stuff you take.
Adarah
Hehehe! :biggrin: I'm not even at Imperial and already the men are following my command! :rofl: Although I never actually told you to wear a shirt :p: - I do think shirts are nicer than t-shirts though... you can't really go wrong with a shirt :wink:

ugh hate blokes in shirts!
Reply 42
Oh God I'm so totally getting loads of new clothes for uni. I've already got 4 wardrobes full, christ knows where they'll all go at uni!
Reply 43
red_roadkill
Oh God I'm so totally getting loads of new clothes for uni. I've already got 4 wardrobes full, christ knows where they'll all go at uni!

Uh... I think you only get one wardrobe at uni... although you might be able to put things in boxes on rollers underneath your bed?
Adarah
what are you packing for uni?

everything :p:
Reply 45
Sorry Adarah, but there is no easy way to pack for uni from overseas. However well you think you've packed you will inevitably:
a) remember that you forgot something the second you plane lands (not so much of a problem, since you can buy anything)
b) pay for overweight luggage. There's no way out of this one, or perhaps that's just me..
Reply 46
Ugh well clothes aren't really a problem, they aren't exactly heavy and im a guy so I don't have heaps of clothes :biggrin:. My main problem is bringing my computer :frown:, im going to have to rely on my parents I guess, im not lugging that on a train, impossible!
Reply 47
Thats where a lap top comes in handy :smile:
thats what parents with cars are for!!! ill be piling everything into the back of two cars!!
Reply 49
swiss.tony
Sorry Adarah, but there is no easy way to pack for uni from overseas. However well you think you've packed you will inevitably:
a) remember that you forgot something the second you plane lands (not so much of a problem, since you can buy anything)
b) pay for overweight luggage. There's no way out of this one, or perhaps that's just me..

I've decided I'm going to try and ignore the costs on this and take people with me, as I will probably need three suitcases, so one for each person - the thing is I couldn't pay overweight, as I wouldn't be able to get the luggage to the halls of residence myself. I don't fancy getting off the plane and changing trains twice and so on alone with more luggage than I can comfortably carry... so maybe my parents or my mum and a friend will be coming with me to carry the stuff :p: and have a short holiday in London :smile: . But still - they will need their own luggage too somehow eh... and so one... it'll be really difficult to work this all out. But for sure I've got to try and pack the minimum, only I'm just not sure what the minimum is supposed to be as I don't want to have too little and I don't want to have too much... :s:
You're right though, I'm bound to forget to think about something, I doubt there is a way to avoid that, I just have to hope it's nothing expensive I forget or something that I don't need straight away.

Yeah, you have it a bit easier Soapysudds :wink: - but for those who need to get all the stuff on a plane ... (including my really sharp kitchen knives - I must remember not to put those in the handluggage, but into the suitcase! - same goes for nailclipper and the like too I suppose :hmpf: ...)

But luckily I have a laptop, which can just go on as handluggage :smile:
Reply 50
Adarah
I've decided I'm going to try and ignore the costs on this and take people with me, as I will probably need three suitcases, so one for each person - the thing is I couldn't pay overweight, as I wouldn't be able to get the luggage to the halls of residence myself. I don't fancy getting off the plane and changing trains twice and so on alone with more luggage than I can comfortably carry... so maybe my parents or my mum and a friend will be coming with me to carry the stuff :p: and have a short holiday in London :smile: .

You'll have to get used to the whole having loads of luggage and changing trains thing. What do you think will happen in June?
I had a bad experience this year involving a flight home to Switzerland, huge suitcases and paying 80 POUNDS for excess luggage...
Reply 51
swiss.tony
You'll have to get used to the whole having loads of luggage and changing trains thing. What do you think will happen in June?
I had a bad experience this year involving a flight home to Switzerland, huge suitcases and paying 80 POUNDS for excess luggage...

I'm not too sure what I'm going to be doing in june - I'll probably stay in London, either that or maybe dump some stuff at my aunt and uncle's - they like a long train journey away too of course. :frown:
But seeing as I will have to earn money for next term during the summer anyway and wages are good in London - I might just be staying in London.
:s:
I'm taking a LOT with me - like two suitcases and two boxes that are being sent - and i'm coming from overseas. The boxes are being sent from Singapore and Denmark (I live in Singapore but i'm danish)...and i'm taking like a few coats, 5 jackets, looooaaddss of tops, trousers, shoes, bags etc etc..I'm quite worried i'll be taking too much :s
Reply 53
caroline_cl
I'm taking a LOT with me - like two suitcases and two boxes that are being sent - and i'm coming from overseas. The boxes are being sent from Singapore and Denmark (I live in Singapore but i'm danish)...and i'm taking like a few coats, 5 jackets, looooaaddss of tops, trousers, shoes, bags etc etc..I'm quite worried i'll be taking too much :s

u sure are, hehe

im ok with my laptop, err dunno what else, haha
Reply 54
caroline_cl

Been thinking about this some more....
I'm just taking things by suitcase... I'm worried that I'll not be taking enough, opposite to you!, because I just can't get that much into a few suitcases. I'm going to be so hot on the plane, wearing my wintercoat, a jacket, a jumper... :eek: :wink:
I'm only going to take two coats I think. On long winter one and one small black one that's 7 years old or so. I always wear it when I'm going out somewhere to get drunk, because it's so old I don't care what happens to it. It was only 30 Deutsch Marks at the time, which is nothing really. I often just leave it lying around where anyone could steal it, but no one ever does - I wonder why? :rolleyes: :wink:
I'd really recommend you take something like that with you, sounds like you will be drinking a lot at uni - no point in ruining a good coat.

I'm taking 3 jackets. One jeans jacket, one cream and one old rose pink one, as I've decided to just pack things that will work well together, a capsule wardrobe, like Sprigged suggested earlier in this thread.
So I just decided on a basic colour range, went out and bought a few more clothes to go with that colour range and now I'm all set I hope. If it's not enough clothes I will have to buy some there though :redface:
How many suitcases are you all thinking of bringing?
I'm going to music college in London and I'm from Ireland so I have to fly over. I have 2 massive ones and a medium one and I was thinking of getting my mum and sister to fly over with me so i can use their baggage allowance. It's soooo hard though cos my halls are self-catered and have nothing- I have to bring my own saucepans, cutlery, duvet, pillows and everything. It's going to be an absolute nightmare!
Reply 56
sugarplumc
I'm going to music college in London and I'm from Ireland so I have to fly over. I have 2 massive ones and a medium one and I was thinking of getting my mum and sister to fly over with me so i can use their baggage allowance. It's soooo hard though cos my halls are self-catered and have nothing- I have to bring my own saucepans, cutlery, duvet, pillows and everything. It's going to be an absolute nightmare!

See if you can buy or borrow bedding stuff from your uni. You could also buy cheap pans etc from charity shops/wilkinsons etc which would help.
Reply 57
the thing to do is just only take things you can't replace. A big trip to tescos once you get to your halls and you'll be able to get all your bedding, kitchen stuff etc. there.

also ahve you considered posting stuff in packages? my brother has just come back from a year in the US and he sent most of his stuff back this way.

lou xxx
sugarplumc

hehe, yeah, Im self catering as well. Already got half the kitchen stuff, and I reckon my clothes/coats/shoes will fill up one large suitcase, and two large holdalls....that on top of probably around 3-5 boxes...

Luckily im getting a lift, but god knows if ill fit it all in!!! :eek:
Reply 59
sugarplumc

I'm thinking about doing the same - taking people with me to carry my suitcases and to use their baggage allowance! Not sure how many suitcases... I mean, I can't really use all the family suitcases... there are a few old ones that I can take and one shell one for all the stuff I'm scared might brake. So yeah, one hard shelled one and probably two others, like you. But I haven't tried to pack all my stuff yet :s:... and like you I'm self-catiered too. Pots and pans and plates will go in the big suit case with the towels and maybe the duvet - so that it can't brake... I'm planning on takeing a lot of things on as hand luggage. I'll be a nightmare for sure :frown:

Latest