The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lou p
the thing to do is just only take things you can't replace. A big trip to tescos once you get to your halls and you'll be able to get all your bedding, kitchen stuff etc. there.

everything is so expensive in the UK though! I'm definitely taking the things I already have like bedding, duvet, cutlery etc with me. And I want to take a large bottle of olive oil with me :redface: and my shampoo (1.74 euros here (1.20 pounds) but it's 2.30 pounds in the UK ... :eek: ) )... but of course if I then had to pay overweight on the luggage that really wouldn't be worth it... I think I will have a lot of fun with my suitcases and a pair of scales :s:
Reply 61
i'm taking everything that i wear on a regular basis, particularly if it is something warm. i'm not a fan of launderettes, but at the same time i don't think that there is any point in taking stuff that i might not wear, or will only wear once. i think it's kind of easier for me, though, because i could get home from uni within an hour and half (by taking two buses and walking a bit) for probably no more than a fiver if i really needed something, lol.
Reply 62
champagne!
Reply 63
I'm worried I'll be taking too little.

My mom's going to buy me 2 medium-sized suitcases but I'm trying to fit everything in one suitcase and a hold-all.

Hmm...
Reply 64
dpali
I'm worried I'll be taking too little.

My mom's going to buy me 2 medium-sized suitcases but I'm trying to fit everything in one suitcase and a hold-all.

Hmm...

for everything ???

i'd have thought that all of my clothes would just about go in one suitcase, but i reckon i'll need another one or two for other stuff... i'm thinking towels, household items (e.g. plates), laptop, shoes, large jumpers, bizarre items that just can't be left behind (e.g my beloved pot-plant, the very leafy henry/henrietta twitchy ramroff bean of the jungle) and, most space-consumingly, BOOKS. seriously, i'm going to be taking about 50.

edit: 50 books. not 50 suitcases.
Reply 65
Ill probably take 2 suitcases of clothes and do some shopping when I get there before freshers week. also gonna take bedding, toiletries, towels, just a hell of a lot of stuff.
Reply 66
mik1w
Ill probably take 2 suitcases of clothes and do some shopping when I get there before freshers week. also gonna take bedding, toiletries, towels, just a hell of a lot of stuff.

what i want to know is where do you put suitcases at uni?

having been interviews at the uni i've got in to, i am aware that the room i can expect to live in will be approximately the size of a large car.
Reply 67
I guess on your bed while you unpack, then put them under the bed, or on top of a wardrobe or something. not really sure.
Reply 68
buttons7

having been interviews at the uni i've got in to, i am aware that the room i can expect to live in will be approximately the size of a large car.

I'm planning on taking my stuff in cases, then when I get there I'll take everything out and get my parents to take the cases back with them!
Reply 69
buttons7

I'm going to unpack straight away and pile it all onto my bed and my parents leave with empty suitcases... I think :confused: (except for a small one I keep, but they naturally get the good hard shelled one)

but then how the hell do I get back? :confused:

damn :frown:
I'm going to pack everything I wear, basically. :cool:

TBH though, there's stuff I still own from when I stopped growing (15 or so)
that I only wear if I KNOW I'm not going out or seeing anyone etc. ¬_¬

And I don't know about suitcases-
It's only an hour's drive to my Uni, I think we'll just load up the car
in one way or another. It can be in boxes, or muddled heaps for all I care.
Reply 71
Adarah
I'm going to unpack straight away and pile it all onto my bed and my parents leave with empty suitcases... I think :confused: (except for a small one I keep, but they naturally get the good hard shelled one)

but then how the hell do I get back? :confused:

damn :frown:

yeh, that's my problem. i'm going to a uni which has 8 week terms and makes you take all your stuff back with you in the holidays... and makes you live in a glorified box. i'm not seeing how this is going to work.
Reply 72
I guess I'm lucky that my Halls lets you stay in the holidays (christmas & easter).

I'm going to be taking my whole wardrobe, plus the essentials (cleaning products, cutlery etc, bedding,), Laptop, printer...maybe my tv (Not sure though), Hi-Fi and iron! Hopefully this will fit into 1 big suitcase, a smaller one and a few bags and a few boxes! Lol! Has to fit in one car though! :biggrin:
Reply 73
I feel so sorry for all you lot coming from overseas - my uni is a 20 minute journey from my home lol, so I can shuffle my stuff really easily! I may not get into halls though coz it's so close.

The capsule wardrobe idea is great - just taking things that go with everything... I like that!
Reply 74
buttons7
yeh, that's my problem. i'm going to a uni which has 8 week terms and makes you take all your stuff back with you in the holidays... and makes you live in a glorified box. i'm not seeing how this is going to work.

I've applied for Halls that let you live there during the holidays, only not summer of course ... seem you have more problems than me, for me it's only summer I've got to worry about.
Reply 75
~Raven~
The capsule wardrobe idea is great - just taking things that go with everything... I like that!

yeah, before I finally pack I'm going to try everything on and make a list what goes best with most other things and what less so and then I'll just have to be harsh and leave those items behind (and those that don't go with anything much anyway). Well... not only leave behind... my mum has said she wants nothing of mine left there really unless it's in a box in the attic! :eek: I've got to clear everything I have out (I currently live with my dad in Italy anyway, so meh, I don't really care, but it's going to be a lot of work getting rid of all my things).
Reply 76
Adarah
I've applied for Halls that let you live there during the holidays, only not summer of course ... seem you have more problems than me, for me it's only summer I've got to worry about.

that's cool. i couldn't apply for halls, though, as the university in question is a college-based one, so all rooms are the same. i think they let the rooms out in holidays sometimes (hence being kicked out, unless you pay for vacation residence or something), plus in december the rooms have to be used for interviewees. if i remember rightly from the interview, though, they will let me have a v.small cupboard in my room to leave stuff in in the holidays. (woohoo!)

i'm so glad i only live in the next county, lol.
Reply 77
buttons7
that's cool. i couldn't apply for halls, though, as the university in question is a college-based one, so all rooms are the same. i think they let the rooms out in holidays sometimes (hence being kicked out, unless you pay for vacation residence or something), plus in december the rooms have to be used for interviewees. if i remember rightly from the interview, though, they will let me have a v.small cupboard in my room to leave stuff in in the holidays. (woohoo!)

i'm so glad i only live in the next county, lol.

At least you get that cupboard, I'm sure it'll come in really useful!
yeah, I could apply for a 38 or 34 hall, so I made sure to pay out the extra for the 38 one, I don't think I'm going 'home' for holidays anyway... my mum is making me clear out my whole room so she can use it as a guest room, the one in my dad's flat I think can sort of stay as it is, but he'll want to use it as a guest room too, so my stuff might have to go in boxes, but at least it's allowed to stay there... (my mum lives in Germany and my dad in Italy, haven't used my room in Germany for ages, so she's right in 'throwing me out', but it feels a bit strange, that's all :redface: )
think I'll make London my home :rolleyes:
take a good solid suitcase...stove it under the bed!!! u might need it when u move out n move back in! it'll be helpful! as far as packin goes....i'm just dumpin stuff i've thought of. the rest...will buy 'em! that will mostly consist of stuff i forgot! :rolleyes:
Reply 79
r_raghav11
take a good solid suitcase...stove it under the bed!!! u might need it when u move out n move back in! it'll be helpful! as far as packin goes....i'm just dumpin stuff i've thought of. the rest...will buy 'em! that will mostly consist of stuff i forgot! :rolleyes:

We have one really good suitcase... but I'm not too sure about keeping it... my family might want it... :s:
Yeah, buying stuff there - might have to do that. maybe it's best if i buy my pot and pan and things like that there... they will take up too much room in my suitcase otherwise. not sure how i'll cook food if I don't have anything to cook it with when I first get there but i'm sure i'll manage.

Latest