The Student Room Group

Confusing conditional offer for EU student

I was so happy that I have received an offer that I did not realize how impossible it is to meet their requirements... I'm Austrian, there is another education system, but I hope I can still explain it somehow. I know I can ring up the university, but firstly I want to know if I can change something at all...

the offer is:
"1.5 OVERALL IN THE AUSTRIAN MATURA INCLUDING 3 IN Mathematics AND 3 IN EITHER
French OR German"

Sounds ordinary at the beginning, but there are only six subjects where I'm going to get a grade, and even if I pass the other four subjects with a 1, it will be only an overall score of 1.6, which is not enough.

It is impossible to fit the requirement with the two 3 in Mathematics and German.

Would I ruin my offer if I contact them or is this maybe just totally normal that they set such conditions which are impossible to get with the grades they want to?

I hope I have explained good enough that at least someone could understand this :frown:
You won't ruin your offer by contacting the university. E-mail them with your concerns :smile:
IndiePixie
You won't ruin your offer by contacting the university. E-mail them with your concerns :smile:

This exactly!
Reply 3
thanks for the fast reply.

Do you maybe know if such conditions are normal?
Reply 4
Ginger2102
I was so happy that I have received an offer that I did not realize how impossible it is to meet their requirements... I'm Austrian, there is another education system, but I hope I can still explain it somehow. I know I can ring up the university, but firstly I want to know if I can change something at all...

the offer is:
"1.5 OVERALL IN THE AUSTRIAN MATURA INCLUDING 3 IN Mathematics AND 3 IN EITHER
French OR German"

Sounds ordinary at the beginning, but there are only six subjects where I'm going to get a grade, and even if I pass the other four subjects with a 1, it will be only an overall score of 1.6, which is not enough.

It is impossible to fit the requirement with the two 3 in Mathematics and German.

Would I ruin my offer if I contact them or is this maybe just totally normal that they set such conditions which are impossible to get with the grades they want to?

I hope I have explained good enough that at least someone could understand this :frown:

it would also help if you explain how you are graded because a 1 or getting a 3 doesn't mean anything to me.

definately just contact them and explain :smile:
Reply 5
I don't understand the system, but could it be *at least* a 3 in either of those subjects? Presumably 1 is the highest, so they are asking for an average of 1.5, with any grade between 1 and 3 in both maths and french/german.
Reply 6
You see how difficult it is for me to explain the grade thing hehe

so to make it easy, it is somehow like this:
1= A
2= B
3= C
4= D
5= E

There is an overall score in our system, this means that all grades are sum up together and then divided by the number of courses.

In my case it is like this:
Controlling and Business administration 1
English 1
Geography 1
Marketing 1
Maths 3
German 3

1+1+1+1+3+3=10/6(because 6 subjects) =1,666...

I hope this is a better explaining..
Reply 7
Ginger2102
You see how difficult it is for me to explain the grade thing hehe

so to make it easy, it is somehow like this:
1= A
2= B
3= C
4= D
5= E

There is an overall score in our system, this means that all grades are sum up together and then divided by the number of courses.

In my case it is like this:
Controlling and Business administration 1
English 1
Geography 1
Marketing 1
Maths 3
German 3

1+1+1+1+3+3=10/6(because 6 subjects) =1,666...

I hope this is a better explaining..

I think from this that it's fairly obvious that they meant 3 or better in their offer (as I wrote above). No university would tell a prospective student that they would reject them if they got higher than a particular mark ie. if you get 2 in both maths and german and 1 in the rest you would still get in.
Ginger2102

Then aim for better results than 3s in maths and German! They don't want you to get 3s - that is the least they will accept.
Reply 9
:frown: I really hoped that it wouldnt be like this, but if it is like this, it wouldn't change anything if I contact them.

Thanks for the advice guys

Latest

Trending

Trending