The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
whisperings
English Literature :smile: and I'm not sure, it's a bit of a trek for me and I hate missing school! I know I'll be firming Durham anyway, I'm just worried I'll miss out on making friends and things:frown: haha

Ha, I doubt you'll miss much in terms of making friends; it could well be the case that the people who go may not put Durham as their firm and thus you would meet an entirely new crowd in October anyway :P Still, it may be beneficial just to see the college...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I've applied for Anthropology joint with Archaeology, excited to see the college and things, 5 and a half hour train journey but I've worked it so I only miss one day of college =]
Reply 22
WaitForTheSnow
Hullo, I've been put in Aidan college too, am going to be doing the Wednesday open day so staying the Tuesday night, kinda scared, it's really far away from home!

Hey. I'm an open day rep, so I'll be one of many friendly faces making sure Aidan's will be your home away from home for the night. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:
Prudy
Hey. I'm an open day rep, so I'll be one of many friendly faces making sure Aidan's will be your home away from home for the night. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:

Thanks! Where do I go when I get there? I'm not going to get there until about 7, I'm hoping it's going to be very signed so there's no chance of me getting lost cause I'm bound too! And will taxi drivers know where to go if I just ask for Aidan college? Was sort of thinking about walking but not sure if that's a brilliant idea for the first time there aha, thanks =]
WaitForTheSnow
And will taxi drivers know where to go if I just ask for Aidan college?

Of course~
Hi, I applied for Collingwood, but was put in St. Aidan's. Have been looking at prospectus and it looks good. Thing is I am really not too keen on the idea of sharing. Is it optional as to whether you share or not? And to those who have/are sharing, what is it like?

(Physics - 4 Years)
MadnessRed
Hi, I applied for Collingwood, but was put in St. Aidan's. Have been looking at prospectus and it looks good. Thing is I am really not too keen on the idea of sharing. Is it optional as to whether you share or not? And to those who have/are sharing, what is it like?

(Physics - 4 Years)

Physics MPhys, high five!

If you have a valid reason to not share you probably won't have to. I think the chance is around half half otherwise. The people who are sharing don't seem to have too much of a problem with it really.
Reply 27
WaitForTheSnow
Thanks! Where do I go when I get there? I'm not going to get there until about 7, I'm hoping it's going to be very signed so there's no chance of me getting lost cause I'm bound too! And will taxi drivers know where to go if I just ask for Aidan college? Was sort of thinking about walking but not sure if that's a brilliant idea for the first time there aha, thanks =]

It's definitly walkable (about 20 mins if you know the way) however a taxi is probably preferable. It'll be approx £5, perhaps less. The driver will definitly know where Aidan's is. Once you get to the front door someone from the repping team will look after you. Also, if you let them know you'll be getting in later they should be able to keep a dinner for you.

WRT getting in on the train, if you're coming from the South then as soon as you exit the station there is a taxi rank in front of you, which should have fairly regular taxis. If one doesn't turn up then phone one of these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1208046

Personally I like Mac's although they all do the job
meowmeowmutiny
Physics MPhys, high five!

If you have a valid reason to not share you probably won't have to. I think the chance is around half half otherwise. The people who are sharing don't seem to have too much of a problem with it really.

ok thanks, what kind of things do you get asked on the form?
MadnessRed
ok thanks, what kind of things do you get asked on the form?

Interests, bed time, do you smoke etc. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.
Prudy
It's definitly walkable (about 20 mins if you know the way) however a taxi is probably preferable. It'll be approx £5, perhaps less. The driver will definitly know where Aidan's is. Once you get to the front door someone from the repping team will look after you. Also, if you let them know you'll be getting in later they should be able to keep a dinner for you.

WRT getting in on the train, if you're coming from the South then as soon as you exit the station there is a taxi rank in front of you, which should have fairly regular taxis. If one doesn't turn up then phone one of these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1208046

Personally I like Mac's although they all do the job

Thank you! I'm very much looking forward to this =]
Hmm, I kind of wish I was around for open day so I could stalk people :3
meowmeowmutiny
Interests, bed time, do you smoke etc. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

ok, thanks.
Reply 33
Hi all :smile:

Just got an offer for Modern Languages at St. Aidan's yesterday. I'd really like to go to one of the open days but how do I apply to go? Or do I get sent an invitation?

Really keen to sign up for one quickly as they're both coming up pretty soon! :eek3:
Reply 34
scjay

Just got an offer for Modern Languages at St. Aidan's yesterday. I'd really like to go to one of the open days but how do I apply to go? Or do I get sent an invitation?

Really keen to sign up for one quickly as they're both coming up pretty soon! :eek3:

Several days after your offer updates onto Track, the College sends a letter with an invitation to attend one of the Open days. You have to fill out the form and send it back with a cheque if you intend to stay the night.
Reply 35
scjay

SNAP! :smile: congrats, what languages are you doing? xxx
Reply 36
Sulman674
Several days after your offer updates onto Track, the College sends a letter with an invitation to attend one of the Open days. You have to fill out the form and send it back with a cheque if you intend to stay the night.

Sweet :smile: Thanks.

whostosay, I'm hopefully gonna do French, German and Spanish for beginners :biggrin: probably going to die from language overload.
Might see you at the open day! If they send me the form on time >.<
Reply 37
scjay

whostosay, I'm hopefully gonna do French, German and Spanish for beginners :biggrin: probably going to die from language overload.

Ha, no problem. :wink: Although, if you haven't received it by now, perhaps it's worth ringing the college and asking them to book you in?
Reply 38
scjay

yeah i got an offer for ML on monday i phoned them up and they were like cool what day do you wanna go and i was like tues and weds and that was it :smile:
Reply 39
Hello Aidan's potential freshers!

Get excited for the open days, it's going to be a good one!

Latest