The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham colleges

Starting to think about college rankings for Durham and though I know there is no minimum amount to rank if feel like only 3 (that's as many as I managed to see on my open day) makes it less likely I'll get somewhere I'll like. Can anyone recommend some colleges near the Psychology dept and tell me a little about the college? If relevant Im also super into theater and sports :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Starting to think about college rankings for Durham and though I know there is no minimum amount to rank if feel like only 3 (that's as many as I managed to see on my open day) makes it less likely I'll get somewhere I'll like. Can anyone recommend some colleges near the Psychology dept and tell me a little about the college? If relevant Im also super into theater and sports :smile:

Hiya!

Since the Psychology Department is located in the science site (Upper Mountjoy), most colleges are within walking distance of your department (approx. 15-20 mins). Collingwood College is the closest college to your department (approx 7-10 mins) and also happens to be a very sporty college 🙂 It's a great college and is very ideally located and they have amazing facilities and college societies (also a very good bar!). Trevelyan College is also located approx 10 mins from the Psych Dept and is a great college with great facilities and a range of different college societies!. Van Mildert College and St Marys are also nearby (approx 12 mins) away from the Psychology department. The Hill colleges (South, John Snow, St Aidans, Josephine Butler and Stevo) are also approx 15 mins away.

The Bailey colleges are still within walking distance (approx 20 mins) but if your preference is a college that is closest to your department, the colleges mentioned above are the ones to look into. In terms of what its like, each college is quite different but one thing they all have is a range of great college societies you can get involved with and sports! If you want to know more about some of the colleges from the perspective of the students, some of our student blogs and content can help 🙂
The Durham Student
A guide to Trevelyan College The Durham Student
Life at Trevs The Durham Student
Life at Collingwood The Durham Student
Life at Mildert The Durham Student
Life at St Mary’s College The Durham Student

Hope this helps 🙂
-Ghala
(edited 2 months ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham