The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

well you sound like my type of person hehe, but im afraid im not studying classics :frown: but hello anyway hehe, and sorry for intruding on your thread. i havent found anyone doing my course yet either :frown:
:biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have an idea - strangley enough and after 3 aspirins - why don't we all tell each other what course we are doing, so we can get to know each other better. I am doing History and German, am nervous I will probably do something wrong (which always happens, trust me) and would like to say "'elloo" to all. Epsecially those doing either course. later later, Ewan
Vladimir
I have an idea - strangley enough and after 3 aspirins - why don't we all tell each other what course we are doing, so we can get to know each other better. I am doing History and German, am nervous I will probably do something wrong (which always happens, trust me) and would like to say "'elloo" to all. Epsecially those doing either course. later later, Ewan

You missed the top thread?
Hiya! I know this thread kind of drifted off topic but I'm doing class civ. Really looking forward to it although I'm scared I'm going to be at a disadvantage as I didn't study any form of class civ. or ancient history at college as they didn't offer it :frown: I have a latin GCSE but not A level as they didn't do that either grrrr... How are you getting on with the book list? I've read one and a half so far :smile: Am very proud of my self!
Bit about me... LOVE poetry too (hehe what geeks!) - especially Rupert Brooke, listen to then likes of Snow Patrol, Damien Rice and Jack Johnson. I enjoy long bubble baths (won't be popular with my hall-mates) and spontaneous trips to the beach.
Sorry this post is really long - its my first one!
xx
Oh yeah and I studied that Catullus poem for GCSE too :smile: Also one about kissing...can't remember title. That was my fav :wink:
well im currently hoping to do V100 which is straight History, but if i dont get my grades for that, then i am either ognna apply through clearing for ancient hist by itself or with archeology :biggrin:

So i guess i can reply to this thread :biggrin: hehe
Reply 7
charli_brown
Hiya! I know this thread kind of drifted off topic but I'm doing class civ. Really looking forward to it although I'm scared I'm going to be at a disadvantage as I didn't study any form of class civ. or ancient history at college as they didn't offer it :frown: I have a latin GCSE but not A level as they didn't do that either grrrr... How are you getting on with the book list? I've read one and a half so far :smile: Am very proud of my self!
Bit about me... LOVE poetry too (hehe what geeks!) - especially Rupert Brooke, listen to then likes of Snow Patrol, Damien Rice and Jack Johnson. I enjoy long bubble baths (won't be popular with my hall-mates) and spontaneous trips to the beach.
Sorry this post is really long - its my first one!
xx

Hey! No the post isn't too long at all in fact it is great to find out that there are similar people to myself out there. Really looking forward to meeting you in September...(It's gonna be so much fun)
Reply 8
Forgot to ask which books you've read Charli. I've read some The Illiad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, some Euripides and Sophocles, Cicero, Catullus, Ovid (love him!), Juvenal's Satires (hilarious), a little of Herodotus' histories and I studied an aspect of Roman Britain. Now I've listed a selection of what I've read it suddenly seems like a lot. Wow!! I find Rupert Brooke's work really inspiring, but the unrequited love of my life has to be Keats. What A/AS-Levels did you do? I did English literature, Class. civ, Economics, History and English AEA. I'm really looking forward to learning the Latin at Uni as i have limited knowledge (I went on a JACT Summer School and did a couple of years at school). Damien Rice is cool, but so too are the Killers and Keane, Athlete...the list goes on. What sort of societies/clubs do you think you might join at Notts?
Reply 9
sophieliz
You may have guessed by the title that I am hopefully going to be studying Classics at Notts so I thought it would be nice for any other potential Classics/Ancient History?Class.Civ etc to introduce themselves. (That is if they exist)

I'm Sophie and I'm from a quiet area of the world-little 'ol Somerset. I like cadbury's fingers and music by Keane. I also like poetry...a lot! Well that's all for now.

Somerset! New Wine was at Somerset! You know you should come New Wine! :wink: :biggrin: It's FAB!

Anyway sorry not doing Classics, however like Starsfallsilent aka Helen, I too have not found anyone on here doing my course!
sophieliz
Forgot to ask which books you've read Charli. I've read some The Illiad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, some Euripides and Sophocles, Cicero, Catullus, Ovid (love him!), Juvenal's Satires (hilarious), a little of Herodotus' histories and I studied an aspect of Roman Britain.

Oh my word I'm officially freaked out now! You've read so so so much! Ok well I guess I'll be heading off to the library. So far I'm halfway through The Odyssey and I've read Roman Social History and Greeks: Crucible of Civilisation (both on book list). Thats pretty much it unless you count the stuff I studied in latin, which includes various poems/passages by Catullus, Ovid, Horace, Virgil, Lucretius and Tacitus. I have read them over recently but it really isn't that much! (Btw - 'Elysium' by Virgil is my fav). What else would you recommend I read?
Also I was wondering how you got to do classics if you didn't do an A level in latin? Or did you do one in Greek?
I'm so glad I've found someone doing my course! Feels slightly less scary now.
I did Eng Lit, History and Biology (random!) A levels. Predicted AAA but theres no way that will happen. Eek its so close!
Have no idea what societies I will join - will probably be very spur of them moment and I'll end up in a knitting society or something.
Reply 11
Oh I must have written that I'm due to read the Classics course as opposed to the Class. civ course somewhere-whoops! I always accidentally call it that as I did Classics (which is Class.civ) for A Level. I haven't done any Latin or Greek to A_level standard, or even to GCSE standard, but as I mentioned I am teaching myself to a certain extent at the moment. And the majority of books that I have read are just things I have studied-I'm keen, but not that keen. As for you getting AAA, I have nothing else to say but well done! Even if you don't achieve those grades the offer for our course is only ABC/BBB so you'll be fine and if you need extra security I have now discovered our course in clearing so I think they will take us anyway. Was Nottingham your first choice to start with?
I feel qualified to join in because people have said they haven't found anyone doing their course...

I have! *Blows a raspberry*

It isn't Classics though, I'm afraid! :smile:
Well ages ago I really wanted to go to Exeter but that was before I'd researched uni's or knew ratings or anything. Then I really wanted to go to Nottingham and liked it lots on the open day. When I went to the Bristol department open day I was slightly swayed, as I love Bristol as a city but the department at Nott was much more friendly and suited me better.
You're a class civ person? Yey! How weird we'll be in the same class! You can use all your class civ A level information to help me if I get stuck :smile: Lol you'll love me hehe! I went to the library this afternoon and got some more books out because I got scared but I'm feeling better after your last post!
Wow I didn't realise our course was on clearing. BBB should be ok to get but my exams went spectacularly badly (I answered a history question using the wrong sources :frown: ). Well will find out soon.
What halls are you in?
Reply 14
I'm not sure which halls exactly I'll be in as they haven't confirmed anything yet but I requested a private shared bathroom in catered accomodation. I'm glad you said that you decided against Exeter because for the past few weeks I've been slapping myself for rejecting their offer. I don't think it really matters that the course is in clearing. It doesn't say that much about the university and we have to remember that Classics etc is not a terribly popular subject. But hey! You seem intelligent and I'm reasonably bright so we should have a fantastic time. The only aspect that concerns me is that I have never lived outside of quiet Somerset and I think I may seem quite naive as I don't really know anything about city living. Argh!!!
Hehe well I live in Surrey and so I'm thinking I've probably been quite sheltered as well. Although me and my friends do go into Guildford at the weekends which is a sort of city. I'm sure you'll do fine and everyone will be there to go through it too. It'll probably be new to loads of people.
I've gone for catered too but a single study, as I switched from self-catering at the last minute and they were the only rooms left :frown: Oh well saves me lots of money I suppose!
Have you got the latin text book yet? I had a bit of trouble finding it but bought the one I think they meant from Amazon. Its blue - is that right?! Trying to refresh my memory but its scary how many words I've forgotten since GCSE!
Reply 16
Yes-Moreland and Fleischer. It isn't one I've seen before. I'm only used to the massive "Reading Latin" by Peter Jones or the good old Cambridge Latin course. I haven't bought it just yet as I'm getting a small allowance towards books after my results. I really don't know what Latin group I'll be in as I certainly don't want to start from the beginning again yet I'm not GCSE standard.
Hehe I'm the opposite. I'm scared of being put in an advanced class and not having a clue. I have a memory like a fish and I'm not likely to remember much from GCSE. It was 2 years ago. A levels were like 2 months ago and I can't remember a pacinian corpuscle (bio) is lol! I think I'm just really nervous about the standards they're going to expect and whether I'll be able to keep up. Are you not worried about that? I guess there's nothing to worry about really since everyone will be new. So close now!
Reply 18
Are we definately both going then? I got AAC which is good enough for me and for Nottingham so see you there then!
Reply 19
I'm going to be in Lento and Wortley-do you know which hall you are in yet. I'll look out for you in September.

Latest

Trending

Trending