The Student Room Group

Med with foundation yr

I’m so confused. What is medicine with a foundation year? Why doesn’t everyone apply to that since the entry req are lower?
How many people apply to let’s say Nottingham and how many people get to interview stage?
Reply 1
It’s for people who meet certain criteria to widen participation and increase access to medicine for those from under-represented backgrounds
Reply 2
Like what?
Reply 3
Original post by Sha2006
Like what?

At Nottingham for example they say on their website you must not meet the standard or contextual entry requirements for the five-year Medicine course and have not attended university already. Also one of the following:

You live in an area where people are less likely to go to university

You have completed one of the following programmes not hosted by the University of Nottingham: a UNIQ, Lincoln Medical School or Sutton Trust summer school or another Sutton Trust programme at post-16.

You have refugee status from the Home Office

You have spent more than three months in care
Original post by Sha2006
I’m so confused. What is medicine with a foundation year? Why doesn’t everyone apply to that since the entry req are lower?
How many people apply to let’s say Nottingham and how many people get to interview stage?

Hey
medicine with a foundation or gateway year is a extra year instead of the normal 5 years medicine you do 6 years and the entry requirements are much lower you also require to come from a family with low income, have benefits , living in a postcode with low percentile and many more you can look on the websites the reason many people do not apply to this is due to the fact that its requirements are not just the grades but personal circumstances that may have led to getting these grades
example
low income family
experience in care
type of school you came from
etc.
I'm not sure on how many people they take
this website is really helpful
https://www.studyin-uk.com/services/medicine/foundation/
Reply 5
Thank you guyyyyssss!

Quick Reply

Latest