The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Eimmanuel
I am surprised that you use Pythagoras theorem to in deriving this formula. I thought normally Pythagoras theorem is used in deriving time dilation. Again I may be wrong.

I think Pythagoras is used to calculate gamma, which is then used to calculate both length contraction and time dilation

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, finally watched it. So, anti-quarks are come into being when the bound of the quarks to the gluons is broken? what has to be done that a quark is able to escape? glouns have strong attraction to quarks to hold them together, if I am not mistaken.
Original post by Kallisto
So, finally watched it. So, anti-quarks are come into being when the bound of the quarks to the gluons is broken? what has to be done that a quark is able to escape? glouns have strong attraction to quarks to hold them together, if I am not mistaken.

Quarks and anti quarks can be made from a variety of interactions and at a variety of energies.

Quarks cannot "escape" as such because they cannot exist on their own due to something called colour confinement (think of the different colours adding to white - it must always be that way).
Reply 1183
I'm currently intrigued by the question 'what is time?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1184

It is not possible for quarks to escape due to something called quark (or colour) confinement, although there is a weird state of matter called a quark-gluon plasma which occurs at really high temperatures where quarks and gluons can be temporarily 'free'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark-gluon_plasma

As the link states, it is possible to get quarks on their own, but they are very unstable, and after a few fractions of a second they will form hadrons and gamma rays.

The temperature required to create a Quark-gluon plasma is 2 trillion Kelvin (2,000,000,000,000 K). At this temperature pair production takes place and quark-antiquark pairs are produced. The highest temperature reached at the LHC is 5.4 trillion Kelvin (5,400,000,000,000 K), which is still too low for the quarks to truly be free since the strong charge still has some effect.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyx
It is not possible for quarks to escape due to something called quark (or colour) confinement, although there is a weird state of matter called a quark-gluon plasma which occurs at really high temperatures where quarks and gluons can be temporarily 'free'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark-gluon_plasma

As the link states, it is possible to get quarks on their own, but they are very unstable, and after a few fractions of a second they will form hadrons and gamma rays.

The temperature required to create a Quark-gluon plasma is 2 trillion Kelvin (2,000,000,000,000 K). At this temperature pair production takes place and quark-antiquark pairs are produced. The highest temperature reached at the LHC is 5.4 trillion Kelvin (5,400,000,000,000 K), which is still too low for the quarks to truly be free since the strong charge still has some effect.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for informations and oh gosh! these temperatures are unimaginable high! even nuclear fusion does not need such high temperatures. And this temperatures are just required to be free for a very, very, very short while. The forces have to be incredible strong, no wonder, these ones are holding the basics of all subparticles together. Without them, nothing would exist.
Reply 1186
Thank you for informations and oh gosh! these temperatures are unimaginable high! even nuclear fusion does not need such high temperatures. And this temperatures are just required to be free for a very, very, very short while. The forces have to be incredible strong, no wonder, these ones are holding the basics of all subparticles together. Without them, nothing would exist.

I know right :biggrin:

It's terrific!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh this thread is amazinggg :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1189
Original post by Droneon
Ahh this thread is amazinggg :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:borat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1190
x

Interesting to see that they are planning to use Hubble and the JWST together to make mini 3D movies of the outer planets to help inspire the next generation :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1497904811.254311.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
x

Yeah, read it. Interesting indeed. Maybe this is the end of sondes and satellites for searching and obervating planets, if the hubble and JWST method is good enough to get many informations and details about planets.

By the way what does JWST mean?
Reply 1192
Yeah, read it. Interesting indeed. Maybe this is the end of sondes and satellites for searching and obervating planets, if the hubble and JWST method is good enough to get many informations and details about planets.

By the way what does JWST mean?

Indeed it is interesting :biggrin:

JWST = James Webb Space Telescope

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Interesting to see that they are planning to use Hubble and the JWST together to make mini 3D movies of the outer planets to help inspire the next generation :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1497904811.254311.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo, sounds really cool....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Indeed it is interesting :biggrin:

JWST = James Webb Space Telescope

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for explaining that, kyx! let us see what comes about in the future. If it is something new, let me know and write here. :h:
Reply 1195
Thanks for explaining that, kyx! let us see what comes about in the future. If it is something new, let me know and write here. :h:

Np, will do :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any material to read which would give me a slight headstart before starting a physics degree at uni? I haven't taken Further Maths or any of the mechanics modules in Maths. Would this detriment me significantly?
Reply 1197
Original post by Kyou
Any material to read which would give me a slight headstart before starting a physics degree at uni? I haven't taken Further Maths or any of the mechanics modules in Maths. Would this detriment me significantly?

If you really want a head-start, do some maths. The most important thing to do however is to relax and have some fun.

You'll be doing enough physics soon.
Reply 1198
Original post by Kyou

Same situation here bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1199
x

I've just come up with a brilliant analogy of length contraction using a slinky :biggrin:

What happens when you drop a slinky? The top of it falls while the bottom seems to levitate in the air, until the top comes to meet it. The reason for this is that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Imagine a rocket, one light year long. The engine at the back causes the rocket to move, but not all of it starts to move at the same time.

Let's say that the rocket travels at 100 miles per hour. The back of the rocket will start to move at 100 miles per hour (assuming it accelerates instantaneously from 0). The 'wave' of movement will move up the rocket until (information travelling at the speed of light) a year later the top of the rocket will begin to move at 100 miles per hour.

Since the bottom of the rocket has been travelling for longer than the top, it has travelled a further distance. The rocket is therefore shorter.

For the slinky, the information travels at the same speed as the slinky itself, equivalent to the rocket travelling at the speed of light. So if the rocket were to travel at the speed of light, it would be slinkified and have zero length! :biggrin:

What do you think? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest