The Student Room Group

highest grade using only CGP revision guides

What do YOU think is the highest grade achievable in A levels (by normal human beings, not the occasional genius who can pass any subject with minimal revision) using ONLY CGP revision guides (no class notes, nothing but CGP) for exam revision? Because I've had several people tell me that it's a C and that made me feel pretty good for getting a C in biology and a D in chemistry for AS (which i was originally annoyed about) as I only used CGP (and not even the ones that are specific to a certain exam board).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only used the Gcp book for Biology As level. Aswelll as exam papers and got a B
Well i got 3 A*s in GCSE separate science using just the CGP books, but from what I can tell there pretty crap for A levels. .
Reply 3
Ahh cool, thanks for that. Luckily I made sure that I start revision early this year so I can have time to do some past papers too.
Reply 4
Crimsonchilli
Well i got 3 A*s in GCSE separate science using just the CGP books, but from what I can tell there pretty crap for A levels. .

Yeh they were brilliant for GCSE, it's a shame they couldn't maintain those standards for A level cos it's essential for us to have decent revision guides :frown:
I only use CGP, but seeing as I got 100% UMS on chemistry like that I can only assume I must be one of the geniuses you described. My predicted grade was a C though. I personally can't see why you couldn't get an A on that alone, enough of the information seems to be in there.
Reply 6
I revised using pretty much solely my CGP revision guide for one biology unit and knew the section very well. I got a C.

You need a bigger breadth of knowledge -> better textbook + practise papers if you want the best grades.
Reply 7
italienmoose
I only use CGP, but seeing as I got 100% UMS on chemistry like that I can only assume I must be one of the geniuses you described. My predicted grade was a C though. I personally can't see why you couldn't get an A on that alone, enough of the information seems to be in there.

Chemistry is a really tough subject for me, I'm fine with the theories but I can't hack the calculations. If it wasn't for the fact that I need a chemistry A level to study biomed, I never would've taken it up. Plus, I guess I underestimated how early I'd need to start revising as I managed to get 11 GCSEs (10 at grade b or above) with minimal effort in class and zero revision. I didn't start until a week before study leave, whereas for A2 I'm starting right now.
Reply 8
Wenis
I revised using pretty much solely my CGP revision guide for one biology unit and knew the section very well. I got a C.

You need a bigger breadth of knowledge -> better textbook + practise papers if you want the best grades.

Exactly what happened to me! I revised equally as hard for both units and knew the section well, but I got a C and a D (and when I resat the unit in which I got a D, I got a D again! Albeit I got more marks) Luckily this year I haven't made the mistake of only using cgp. I bought the exam board textbooks and the only A2 CGP book I have is for chemistry so I can ease myself into understanding the work and then I'll use the proper textbook to gain more knowledge.
Reply 9
I got 3 A's in my 3 january exams using only CGP ;P
I got 2A's and B, but I mainly used CGP to make things clearer in my head and then ventured into the text books which go into more detail. They are really useful for practice questions and explaining working out. Helped me a lot with chemistry.
Reply 11
I only used the CGP guide for my a2 business unit and got 84/100 - A :smile:
Reply 12
fortunecookie
I got 2A's and B, but I mainly used CGP to make things clearer in my head and then ventured into the text books which go into more detail. They are really useful for practice questions and explaining working out. Helped me a lot with chemistry.

Yeh that's what I'm planning to do this year - at least you're proof that my new method will work lol how did you revise? did you draw mind maps and use loads of colour or did you record yourself reading out notes and then listen to it a lot? I might do it the audio way too for when i'm on the bus (cos i memorise songs after the first time listening to them) but I hate the sound of my voice so I might get someone else to read it for me lol
Reply 13
I used the AS Level CGP book for Chemistry and got an A. Everything is in there, but obviously I can't speak for other subjects.
Reply 14
Gemma2010
I got 3 A's in my 3 january exams using only CGP ;P

I put that down to you being a genius! lol :p:
Reply 15
A* if they cover your specification
Reply 16
Mona Lisa
Chemistry is a really tough subject for me, I'm fine with the theories but I can't hack the calculations. If it wasn't for the fact that I need a chemistry A level to study biomed, I never would've taken it up. Plus, I guess I underestimated how early I'd need to start revising as I managed to get 11 GCSEs (10 at grade b or above) with minimal effort in class and zero revision. I didn't start until a week before study leave, whereas for A2 I'm starting right now.

Do you use Chemguide? The same guy that runs Chemguide wrote a book on calculations: I have it and it's SERIOUSLY amazing, I owe all my chemistry grades to it :smile:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/book.html
Really, buy this book if you possibly can, it's ridiculously useful :smile:
Reply 17
LeChat
Do you use Chemguide? The same guy that runs Chemguide wrote a book on calculations: I have it and it's SERIOUSLY amazing, I owe all my chemistry grades to it :smile:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/book.html
Really, buy this book if you possibly can, it's ridiculously useful :smile:

Yeh I've used chemguide a few times for homework and i've read reviews for the book and it seems like it's a must-have! i'm definitely gonna order it, thanks for that :biggrin:
Mona Lisa
Yeh that's what I'm planning to do this year - at least you're proof that my new method will work lol how did you revise? did you draw mind maps and use loads of colour or did you record yourself reading out notes and then listen to it a lot? I might do it the audio way too for when i'm on the bus (cos i memorise songs after the first time listening to them) but I hate the sound of my voice so I might get someone else to read it for me lol

Yeah I did lots of multi coloured notes and a few mindmaps. Pretty much everything was in colour, there wasn't really any logic between which colours went with which, I just tend to find that colour looks a lot less intimidating on a page than black ink. I have pretty much highlighted the entire chemistry text book!

I haven't done audio yet for A Level, I might do for German and Biology this time around as its a lot more wordy. I did make minds maps and then use them to basically have a chat to myself and make podcasts for RE GCSE,which I found really useful. I only really listened to each one once, but it makes a change to just writing out notes as well.

But to be honest once I'd got the main bulk of understanding I just did every exam question I could find really. Rather dull, but more useful.

What subjects do you do?
Reply 19
Probably an A, depending on the paper, and how good you are at the subject in general.

Latest

Trending

Trending