The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Just do whichever one you feel more comfortable doing.

IMO geography might be an easier A, but it really depends on yourself.
Reply 2
Geography has been good and the fieldwork is just a bonus. :biggrin: It's completely different from higher, in terms of the course work choices and the exam.
Reply 3
Alias Grace
Geography has been good and the fieldwork is just a bonus. :biggrin: It's completely different from higher, in terms of the course work choices and the exam.

Could you tell me in what way it's different? My teacher's being rather vague about it.
Reply 4
In higher you learn a lot of information whereas AH you're pulling it together and applying it to the tasks in a more practical way. The structure of higher is set and you don't have much choice over what you learn but with advanced you've got more scope to pick what interests you more, especially if you prefer physical over human or vice versa.

AH consists of 70% coursework with a Geographical Study being the main project. Here, you will go out and do fieldwork on an area of your choice and provide a report on said findings - great fun to do! There is also an Issues essay - you usually select a topic from paper 2 of higher ie. malaria, river basin management etc. You select sources and evaluate opinions and ideas of biased, non-biased and neutral articles.

The exam is again, completely different from that of higher. There is a mapping interpreting section where you usually have to select a suitable area and weigh out the advantages/disadvantages of the site ie. for a wind farm development. There's also a section of statistical analyisis of data, the same techniques you would have used in the feild study. And finally a 10 mark Geographical Methods and Techniques section.

Edit: Sorry, felt like jumping in since having done the course. :o:
Reply 5
rosie9391
In higher you learn a lot of information whereas AH you're pulling it together and applying it to the tasks in a more practical way. The structure of higher is set and you don't have much choice over what you learn but with advanced you've got more scope to pick what interests you more, especially if you prefer physical over human or vice versa.

AH consists of 70% coursework with a Geographical Study being the main project. Here, you will go out and do fieldwork on an area of your choice and provide a report on said findings - great fun to do! There is also an Issues essay - you usually select a topic from paper 2 of higher ie. malaria, river basin management etc. You select sources and evaluate opinions and ideas of biased, non-biased and neutral articles.

The exam is again, completely different from that of higher. There is a mapping interpreting section where you usually have to select a suitable area and weigh out the advantages/disadvantages of the site ie. for a wind farm development. There's also a section of statistical analyisis of data, the same techniques you would have used in the feild study. And finally a 10 mark Geographical Methods and Techniques section.

Edit: Sorry, felt like jumping in since having done the course. :o:

Thanks, that was really helpful :smile: Would you say that, if you put in the work, it's easy or difficult to get an A?
Reply 6
Lucy_93
Thanks, that was really helpful :smile: Would you say that, if you put in the work, it's easy or difficult to get an A?

If you put the work in for any subject you're more likely to get an A. I can only comment on myself but I've an interest in geography so was motivated to work and had no problems with the course, whereas others in my class did and struggled to get even C's. Put the work in from the start and you'll be rewarded at the end. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending