The Student Room Group

Oxford Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
IIRC Oxford don't really give a **** about the score, the essay is what matters.

Not entirely true. The average offer holder gets 27.78 so you can infer from that either Oxford does care about the MCQ score (as they logically would with no reason to think otherwise) or it's just coincidence that offer holders have high scores (which is also plausible).

In my experience, they do like high scores but it's just not a major factor. It's more like a low score eliminates you but an above average score puts everyone on level playing ground. Could be wrong of course.

I got 31.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently finishing off my PS as we speak. What colleges are all of you applying to?
Original post by amol_chalis447
Not entirely true. The average offer holder gets 27.78 so you can infer from that either Oxford does care about the MCQ score (as they logically would with no reason to think otherwise) or it's just coincidence that offer holders have high scores (which is also plausible).

In my experience, they do like high scores but it's just not a major factor. It's more like a low score eliminates you but an above average score puts everyone on level playing ground. Could be wrong of course.

I got 31.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a strong correlation between score on the multi-choice and strength of essay, though ofc there's no real way to test this.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I would be very surprised if there wasn't a strong correlation between score on the multi-choice and strength of essay, though ofc there's no real way to test this.

Possibly but you have to bear in mind that the answers to the LNAT multiple choice are frequently not "right" answers but "less wrong" answers.

To take an example from LNAT practice test 1 on Top Civil Servants; look at question 2. The "correct" answer is A. "The writer here uses the word ‘conservative’ to mean consciously sympathetic to the elites". Look at the text. The writer doesn't say that at all. The writer says "top civil servants...are conservative in thesense that they are ... the conscious or unconscious allies of existing economic and social elites. (my emphasis)"

There are two issues:-

The writer expressly admits the possibility that conservative may mean an unconscious relationship to the elites; and

Alliance and sympathy are not usually considered synonyms. Was Churchill sympathetic to Stalin or his ally?

The multiple choice test favours those who see clearly but not too deeply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, I just wanted to ask if I should make an open application to Oxford or to a particular college, and if a particular college then what colleges in Oxford do you think would be the best ones to apply to? Also, since I am an Indian applicant (CBSE board), I'd like to know if 10th grades matter much and where my predicted scores are to be mentioned. Is it supposed to be mentioned in my reference or somewhere else? Also, what part do you think is considered and marked the most in the application?
I'd be really grateful to anyone who would be ready to help me out. I really really need some.
Thank You :smile:
Original post by carebearbeach
Hey, I just wanted to ask if I should make an open application to Oxford or to a particular college, and if a particular college then what colleges in Oxford do you think would be the best ones to apply to? Also, since I am an Indian applicant (CBSE board), I'd like to know if 10th grades matter much and where my predicted scores are to be mentioned. Is it supposed to be mentioned in my reference or somewhere else? Also, what part do you think is considered and marked the most in the application?
I'd be really grateful to anyone who would be ready to help me out. I really really need some.
Thank You :smile:

1. If you have any preference as to college, don't make an open application. It could result in you wanting a central college but being allocated to St. Hugh's. There is no "best" college to apply to, all of them are academically amazing. Applying to a particular one also won't increase your chance of admission due to the pooling system.

2. I'm not sure how much 10th grades matter. I get the impression they do matter but not a whole lot. To put it in perspective, my CGPA was 9.4 and I still received an offer.

3. You fill your 10th marks in the testing section (or whatever it's called). Your 12th predicted marks must be in your teacher's reference.

4. In my experience, the LNAT and interview both matter a lot. I don't know if either matters more than the other. nulli may be able to offer you better advice on this.
Do you think dropping an a level (doing 3 instead of 4) would jeapordise my application?😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aubergine7
Do you think dropping an a level (doing 3 instead of 4) would jeapordise my application?😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope not because my college wouldn't allow me to take 4 because I'm taking an EPQ and my fourth subject would have been a third coursework subject..
From what I understand, an offer is never made for a 4th subject anyway so it's better to have 3 really good subjects than 4 average ones. There's a whole FAQ section on their admissions site about extra subjects and stuff. Look it up, it's quite helpful.
Anyone else ****ting themselves for their interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aubergine7
Anyone else ****ting themselves for their interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope i am too! just over a week till the interview and STILL not heard so I've had to start preparing now (as in of 2 hours ago) even though it'll probably be a rejection for me...

what college?
is anyone else going to Keble for a law interview?? don't want to not know anyone:frown:
Guys what did you get in your LNAT
Original post by davinaxo
Guys what did you get in your LNAT

Slightly above average in the multiple choice (I've just graduated). The multiple choice really doesn't matter that much.
A blog post about applying for Law written by a student from Magdalen - she goes into detail about each section of the application, including the LNAT, so definitely check it out!

*https://carambalache.wordpress.com/2016/09/10/applying-to-oxford-law/
I want to know if it is "realistically" possible to get into Oxford/Cambridge to study Law with my credentials At GCSE's I got AAAAAABBC Currently taking AS and my Michaelmas Grades have been ABB; these will definitely improve as I've joined a new school so haven't properly settled yet I take Politcs,Business and Geography My predicted Grades will probably be A*/A*/ A if everything goes to plan I play rugby to avert high standard (Academy Level) The only other extra curricular activity I do is volunteering in which I do recycling and speak to the elderly(aiming to do more) P.S any info would help; I have heard a lot of the generic answers to my question so not to sound rude but something concise and informative would be very helpful (Thanks in advance)
Original post by Givetodayfortmrw
I want to know if it is "realistically" possible to get into Oxford/Cambridge to study Law with my credentials At GCSE's I got AAAAAABBC Currently taking AS and my Michaelmas Grades have been ABB; these will definitely improve as I've joined a new school so haven't properly settled yet I take Politcs,Business and Geography My predicted Grades will probably be A*/A*/ A if everything goes to plan I play rugby to avert high standard (Academy Level) The only other extra curricular activity I do is volunteering in which I do recycling and speak to the elderly(aiming to do more) P.S any info would help; I have heard a lot of the generic answers to my question so not to sound rude but something concise and informative would be very helpful (Thanks in advance)

You are always going to be a better post-A level candidate. You do not have any of the highest grades at GCSE and your AS grades are not scintillating. If you get your A level predictions you will have shown how you are able to perform.

What we do not know is how you would perform in the LNAT or Cambridge's own tests. A very good score would redress any perceived weakness in examination results to date.

The extra-curricular activities are totally irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending