The Student Room Group

Applying to Law at uni 2021

Hiya, I need opinions for applying for Law.

My predicted grades are A*A*A*.
My gcse’s are 9888877776.
I’m a young carer too so I think that means extenuating circumstances.
I’m apart of two development programme (one with a top law firm, another with SMF), I have magic circle work experience (virtual unfortunately due to corona), read books like letters to a law student and to kill a mockingbird, listen to law in action, done some open uni courses, am student ambassador of an alevel subject, helped y7s in english lessons, work part time whilst studying and applied to Lord Toulson Essay prize in law (waiting on a response still :frown: ) and hopefully entering another one soon.

I want to be realistic about my potential and where I could get into before applying. I know law is so competitive but I wanna know if anyone in similar positions had gotten into the unis I wanna go.
My main concerns are about applying to Oxford and LSE. Opinions? Please and thanks!!
I dont see any problems with you applying as long as you do well in the LNAT and interview for Oxford
Original post by tireddddstudent

I’m apart of two development programme (one with a top law firm, another with SMF), I have magic circle work experience (virtual unfortunately due to corona), read books like letters to a law student and to kill a mockingbird, listen to law in action, done some open uni courses, am student ambassador of an alevel subject, helped y7s in english lessons, work part time whilst studying and applied to Lord Toulson Essay prize in law (waiting on a response still :frown: ) and hopefully entering another one soon.

I want to be realistic about my potential and where I could get into before applying. I know law is so competitive but I wanna know if anyone in similar positions had gotten into the unis I wanna go.
My main concerns are about applying to Oxford and LSE. Opinions? Please and thanks!!

I don't see any problems with you applying for top unis although @Oxford Mum will know more about Oxford Law. You should definitely aim high with maybe just one or two slightly less competitive unis in case the LNAT doesn't go so well for you on the day

I feel I have spoken to you before, and have recommended Cambridge because of your GCSE results. The average Oxford law applicants has 5.2 8s/9s but the average offer holder has 8 or 9 8s/9s.

As I said to you, (or someone who is virtually your applications twin) I know someone who got into Cambridge law with more modest GCSE results than yours, but I wouldn't risk applying to Oxford with them.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I feel I have spoken to you before, and have recommended Cambridge because of your GCSE results. The average Oxford law applicants has 5.2 8s/9s but the average offer holder has 8 or 9 8s/9s.

As I said to you, (or someone who is virtually your applications twin) I know someone who got into Cambridge law with more modest GCSE results than yours, but I wouldn't risk applying to Oxford with them.

Thanks OM.

It sounds like Cambridge would be more likely to invite OP for interview although given that they are a young carer, could it be worth them contacting Oxford Admissions for further advice as to whether they would count that as extenuating cirumstances for Admissions or not?
Original post by harrysbar
I don't see any problems with you applying for top unis although @Oxford Mum will know more about Oxford Law. You should definitely aim high with maybe just one or two slightly less competitive unis in case the LNAT doesn't go so well for you on the day

yes less competitive unis would fill my other options, to act as a secure back up :smile: ty
Original post by Oxford Mum

yes we have spoken! i’ve deffo taken your advice in mind :smile:))))
Reply 7

can i ask where you ended up applying, what offers you got and where you're going now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending