The Student Room Group

are my gcse grades important for Oxford

Hellloooooo ,

long story short, I was a pretty "average" student until I started 6th form where I truly thrived and now im expected an A* AA by the end of Year 13 . One of my biggest dream has always been to go to Oxford and now I finally have good enough grade to do so. problem is my gcse grades aren't AMAZING . I got A* A*AABBBCC. so they aren't amazing grades but like im want to study law the 2 Cs I got were in Physics and Chemistry I dont know if that's relevant . any ways my question is. Do I still stand a chance at Oxford ?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by spam44
Hellloooooo ,

long story short, I was a pretty "average" student until I started 6th form where I truly thrived and now im expected an A* AA by the end of Year 13 . One of my biggest dream has always been to go to Oxford and now I finally have good enough grade to do so. problem is my gcse grades aren't AMAZING . I got A* A*AABBBCC. so they aren't amazing grades but like im want to study law the 2 Cs I got were in Physics and Chemistry I dont know if that's relevant . any ways my question is. Do I still stand a chance at Oxford ?

Your problem is being fixated at Oxford, the university, instead of the course, Law.
Did you look at the law course at Oxford, and law courses at other universities?
Besides, GCSE’s are one piece of the puzzle
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/how-apply#:~:text=REQUIREMENTS&text=Candidates%20are%20also%20expected%20to,studying%20Law%20before%20you%20apply.
‘If you want to apply to study law at Oxford you must submit a UCAS application and take the Law National Admissions Test (LNAT).’
‘’Candidates are also expected to have at least a C grade in GCSE mathematics’
‘Admissions is a competition, and we assess all aspects of a student’s application in order to decide which candidates show greatest potential. If you have attained (or are predicted to attain) the minimum and you do not know whether you are likely to gain a place, you should apply! There is no other way to find out.’

See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1760892#:~:text=First%20question%20that%20pops%20up,A*s%20that%20you%20need.
Reply 2
Original post by spam44
Hellloooooo ,

Fellow ambitious student here,
I also want to apply to Oxford for Computer Science as its the second best uni for that course, with my expected A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Your GCSE grades are important in OXford but are not always the deciding factor. I'm pretty sure you need a B in Maths and Enlglish GCSE tho
Original post by spam44
Hellloooooo ,

It's difficult for us to say how those GCSEs will affect your application, because Oxford always take into consideration the school you went to and the year you took your exams. Usually, if they're using GCSEs in shortlisting, they'll calculate their own contextualised GCSE score using this information. They don't want to give preferential treatment to people who went to amazing schools with good tutors. If you went to Eton, you wouldn't have a good chance of getting an interview. If you went to a really underfunded state school in an impoverished area, it wouldn't reflect as badly on you.

That being said, GCSEs are just one factor used in the shortlisting process, and you can always make up for them in other areas. I didn't even get a 9 in the subject I'm studying here now. I would recommend really focusing on your LNAT preparation, as this will be the deciding factor in whether or not you're invited to interview.
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Your problem is being fixated at Oxford, the university, instead of the course, Law.
Did you look at the law course at Oxford, and law courses at other universities?
Besides, GCSE’s are one piece of the puzzle
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/how-apply#:~:text=REQUIREMENTS&text=Candidates%20are%20also%20expected%20to,studying%20Law%20before%20you%20apply.
‘If you want to apply to study law at Oxford you must submit a UCAS application and take the Law National Admissions Test (LNAT).’
‘’Candidates are also expected to have at least a C grade in GCSE mathematics’
‘Admissions is a competition, and we assess all aspects of a student’s application in order to decide which candidates show greatest potential. If you have attained (or are predicted to attain) the minimum and you do not know whether you are likely to gain a place, you should apply! There is no other way to find out.’

See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1760892#:~:text=First%20question%20that%20pops%20up,A*s%20that%20you%20need.

Helloooo

yes dont worry I have studied what being a law student at Oxford entails and im still 200% interested.
I got an A in English and a B in Maths.
I love law and honestly I'll still devote myself to the course wether im studying at Oxford or else where.
Oxford has just always been a dream. so if I have the grades for it. why not apply
Reply 5
Original post by emilyalexandria
It's difficult for us to say how those GCSEs will affect your application, because Oxford always take into consideration the school you went to and the year you took your exams. Usually, if they're using GCSEs in shortlisting, they'll calculate their own contextualised GCSE score using this information. They don't want to give preferential treatment to people who went to amazing schools with good tutors. If you went to Eton, you wouldn't have a good chance of getting an interview. If you went to a really underfunded state school in an impoverished area, it wouldn't reflect as badly on you.

That being said, GCSEs are just one factor used in the shortlisting process, and you can always make up for them in other areas. I didn't even get a 9 in the subject I'm studying here now. I would recommend really focusing on your LNAT preparation, as this will be the deciding factor in whether or not you're invited to interview.

hellloooo

Im from a "normal" school I guess ? its not Eton good but its defiantly not an underfunded state school. and yes of course im studying for the LNAT which I know if very difficult. I took my GCSEs from 2020 to 2022. I got an A in English A* in French A* in spanish and a B in math A in business too
but ye I guess we ll see
You should definitely apply! Oxford take a hollistic approach to admissions so they won't rule you out based on your GCSEs alone especially if your LNAT/ personal statement both look great.

They want to see what you can do now, so focus on your A levels, personal statement and the LNAT and don't worry about your GCSEs.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by hannahpoppy
you should definitely apply! Oxford take a hollistic approach to admissions so they won't rule you out based on your gcses alone especially if your lnat/ personal statement both look great.

They want to see what you can do now, so focus on your a levels, personal statement and the lnat and don't worry about your gcses.

thank youuu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending