The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They can say "we can't let you do that".
Quintro
I want to crash Higher Computing (in S5) but my friend told me today that when he asked about it, they told him they can't let him do it because of the difficulty. But, can my school actually say "We can't let you do that," or can they simply just recommend against it?

I thought the choice would be down to me anyway. :confused:

Maybe if you get private tuition during the summer they'll let you?
Reply 3
It's actually up to them. They're probably concerned about their precious league tables, therefore they probs. won't let you in unless you have complete confidence.

Get your parents to phone up/have a meeting the curriculum person thing.

Maybe you're better off sticking to highers that you have already done the SG/Int 2 in to make S5 more bearable :dontknow: Programming is a bitch at Higher I believe. On the other hand, SG Computing was a huge waste of time...
Reply 4
LuhLah
It's actually up to them. They're probably concerned about their precious league tables, therefore they probs. won't let you in unless you have complete confidence.

Get your parents to phone up/have a meeting the curriculum person thing.

Maybe you're better off sticking to highers that you have already done the SG/Int 2 in to make S5 more bearable :dontknow: Programming is a bitch at Higher I believe. On the other hand, SG Computing was a huge waste of time...

The problem is, I think it works out that if I don't pick this, then I have to pick Physics... which I really hate, so S5 might be even more stressful as I would have to try to listen in a class I have no interest in. In the options book it says that people who have attained good grades in Maths should be able to cope, but when my friend asked, they never even checked any of his other grades. Maybe if I bring up that I got an A in my Maths prelim and that I would be willing to work hard over Summer?
Try offering to pay any costs involved.
Reply 6
paddy__power
Try offering to pay any costs involved.

Yeah, I guess that would be a last resort though.

You don't happen to have any idea how much it would cost do you? :dontknow:
Reply 7
Quintro
Yeah, I guess that would be a last resort though.

You don't happen to have any idea how much it would cost do you? :dontknow:

Don't you dare. They don't know as they're english.
Reply 8
LuhLah
Don't you dare. They don't know as they're english.

Ha lol. I never realised. :smile:
Reply 9
Quintro
The problem is, I think it works out that if I don't pick this, then I have to pick Physics... which I really hate, so S5 might be even more stressful as I would have to try to listen in a class I have no interest in. In the options book it says that people who have attained good grades in Maths should be able to cope, but when my friend asked, they never even checked any of his other grades. Maybe if I bring up that I got an A in my Maths prelim and that I would be willing to work hard over Summer?

Yeah, but are you really willing to work hard over the summer? That's the thing. It's easier to say "Oh I'll do loads and loads of studying don't you worry" but in reality, it's much more different...when it comes to Highers, anyway.

If you're really desperate to take it, fight until the bitter end. This means getting parents to phone up and having a talk with the department head.
Reply 10
LuhLah
Yeah, but are you really willing to work hard over the summer? That's the thing. It's easier to say "Oh I'll do loads and loads of studying don't you worry" but in reality, it's much more different...when it comes to Highers, anyway.

If you're really desperate to take it, fight until the bitter end. This means getting parents to phone up and having a talk with the department head.

I know what you mean, but I have a real genuine interest in the subject and I would only study the SG course (maybe get an outline of the Higher) over Summer in preperation for the Higher. I have no problem with studying any of my SGs at the moment anyway.
What are you getting in your Highers that you are sitting at the moment, or are predicted to get?
Yeah, what are your predictions?

Crashing highers in fifth year is almost always strongly discouraged, but if you are known as a very able student they might bend the rules for you. However if your grades are typical I'd prepare for disappointment, sorry :frown:

There's only one guy in our year that I know of crashing anything (Drama) and that's only because its obvious he'll do well in it, because was excellent in Int 2 English and Music.

Also, are you sure you want to crash something in S5? Its a tough year, I think I'd be freaking if I was crashing anything right now.
Reply 13
I say burn down the school! :mob:
I thought you meant crashing in S6, not S5, d'awwhh.
So not your predicted Higher results, but your Standard Grades/Int2's ! ?
Reply 15
matthew93
I thought you meant crashing in S6, not S5, d'awwhh.
So not your predicted Higher results, but your Standard Grades/Int2's ! ?

I'm predicted 111112A.
Quintro
I'm predicted 111112A.

Speak to the head of Computing, surely they would let you in if those are your predicted grades. :confused:
I know it's a different area, but i know somebody who is crashing Higher Biology in S5 and got 1222223F i think.
Reply 17
matthew93
Speak to the head of Computing, surely they would let you in if those are your predicted grades. :confused:
I know it's a different area, but i know somebody who is crashing Higher Biology in S5 and got 1222223F i think.

I spoke to my guidance teacher today and he said he shouldn't have any trouble in getting me a place looking at my grades so hopefully I'll be allowed now.
Reply 18
OP, what other subjects are available in the column?
Reply 19
I can't remember sorry, I handed in the columns form today.

Latest

Trending

Trending