The Student Room Group

D&D Theology's "Ask About Hinduism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by JasonGenova
Yes it does, thanks!

So for a more interesting question, have you (or anyone you know personally) ever had any sort of spiritual or mystical experience the likes of which is described in Hindu scripture? If so, how was it?

Apologies for the delayed response.

I can say personally my peak spiritual experience occurred in December 2010. I was spending my time in an ashram and after 3 weeks the course culminated in a strong meditation session. We meditated for something like 1.5+ hours but it honestly felt like 30 minutes or so. The amount of bliss I experienced was amazing. Unfortunately since then I haven't been able to meditate as much because of life scheduling and laziness to be honest.

In terms of others, my spiritual guru is a self-proclaimed enlightened individual. He talks plenty of times about his experiences and teaches us the best ways to achieve the state of happiness which he is constantly in.

I have seen some "miracles" if that can be classified as "mystical experience". One woman who suffered with an eye condition for many years had her illness healed within one day of being around my guru. Another woman I know suffered from a serious back condition for 10 years or so and no doctor could help her. After being with my guru for a couple of weeks her pain completely disappeared. But these are more physical than spiritual experiences.
Original post by Suave
Apologies for the delayed response.

I can say personally my peak spiritual experience occurred in December 2010. I was spending my time in an ashram and after 3 weeks the course culminated in a strong meditation session. We meditated for something like 1.5+ hours but it honestly felt like 30 minutes or so. The amount of bliss I experienced was amazing. Unfortunately since then I haven't been able to meditate as much because of life scheduling and laziness to be honest.

In terms of others, my spiritual guru is a self-proclaimed enlightened individual. He talks plenty of times about his experiences and teaches us the best ways to achieve the state of happiness which he is constantly in.

I have seen some "miracles" if that can be classified as "mystical experience". One woman who suffered with an eye condition for many years had her illness healed within one day of being around my guru. Another woman I know suffered from a serious back condition for 10 years or so and no doctor could help her. After being with my guru for a couple of weeks her pain completely disappeared. But these are more physical than spiritual experiences.

Np mate :smile:

That's very interesting! I've also noticed that with consistent meditation, your experiences tend to become more blissful each time you do it. Although I can't say I've experienced as much bliss as you've described (yet) :tongue:

The physical experiences also seem interesting. I have no reason to believe you're lying and I've read about stuff like this elsewhere as well, so I personally wouldn't automatically dismiss it just because it seems unlikely. Does your guru live in the UK?
Peace be with you all,

If i may ask, how can you be certain Hinduism is from the almighty?

Thank you
Original post by Tawheed
Peace be with you all,

If i may ask, how can you be certain Hinduism is from the almighty?

Thank you

There's no certainty in life about anything mate.

But the belief is all about your personal connection with almighty. Doesnt matter what others believe and what others do, what you do and your actions and your subsequent karma, its your business with God.

So to your question, almighty didnt make Hinduism or any other religion for that matter. its us as human beings that have given them names and differences ourselves.
Original post by sachinisgod

But the belief is all about your personal connection with almighty. Doesnt matter what others believe and what others do, what you do and your actions and your subsequent karma, its your business with God.

So to your question, almighty didnt make Hinduism or any other religion for that matter. its us as human beings that have given them names and differences ourselves.

Thank you for this answer,

Would you then argue other religions are as viable as Hinduism to follow, and that perhaps many follow Hinduism for family cohesion, because their ancestors followed?
Original post by sachinisgod

Well said. I find this idea infinitely more appealing and wise than the Abrahamic religions' 'our way is the only way and the only truth, and anyone who doesn't follow it will be tortured in hell forever' - such an evil notion. I know very little about Hinduism, I have to admit, but it seems so much grown-up and secure about itself than the nasty religions which have to threaten people with eternal torture to get them to believe and stay in the faith.

Original post by Tawheed
Thank you for this answer,

Would you then argue other religions are as viable as Hinduism to follow, and that perhaps many follow Hinduism for family cohesion, because their ancestors followed?

Would you argue that many people perhaps follow Islam for family cohesion and because their ancestors followed, and because they're terrified of eternal torture and torment if they don't?
Original post by Achaea
Well said. I find this idea infinitely more appealing and wise than the Abrahamic religions' 'our way is the only way and the only truth, and anyone who doesn't follow it will be tortured in hell forever' - such an evil notion. I know very little about Hinduism, I have to admit, but it seems so much grown-up and secure about itself than the nasty religions which have to threaten people with eternal torture to get them to believe and stay in the faith.

Would you argue that many people perhaps follow Islam for family cohesion and because their ancestors followed, and because they're terrified of eternal torture and torment if they don't?

Well maybe thats why we have survived for over 5000 years and still going strong despite the emergence of Abrahamic religions who have labelled us heretics and devil worshippers..
Reply 867
Original post by JasonGenova
Np mate :smile:

That's very interesting! I've also noticed that with consistent meditation, your experiences tend to become more blissful each time you do it. Although I can't say I've experienced as much bliss as you've described (yet) :tongue:

The physical experiences also seem interesting. I have no reason to believe you're lying and I've read about stuff like this elsewhere as well, so I personally wouldn't automatically dismiss it just because it seems unlikely. Does your guru live in the UK?

Hi, no he lives in India but he is quite renowned internationally. His name is Paramahamsa Nithyananda. He has hundreds of videos uploaded on YouTube - feel free to watch any https://www.youtube.com/user/LifeBlissFoundation/videos.
Hi all :smile:

I don't have any specific questions but I wondered if anyone could explain to me how Swaminarayan Hinduism differs from the main branch of the faith?

Thank you!
Original post by SpangleMagnet
Hi all :smile:

I don't have any specific questions but I wondered if anyone could explain to me how Swaminarayan Hinduism differs from the main branch of the faith?

Thank you!

Swaminarayans are a sect within the Vaishnava branch of Hinduism which regards Vishnu (or his avatars) as the Supreme Being and therefore their beliefs and practices have similarities to most other Vaishnava sects.

However, where they differ from other Vaishnavas is that Swaminarayan Hindus consider the founder of their sect (Sahajanand Swami) as an avatar of Vishnu (in addition to the usual Rama/Krishna like other Vaishnavas) and therefore mostly worship him as God, which other Vaishnavas do not do. Swaminarayans do revere the other deities within the Hindu faith too, but tend to focus on them less.

Additionally, whilst they take inspiration from the more prominent Hindu scriptures like the Vedas, Bhagavad Gita etc, their founder also wrote many scriptures of his own such as the Shikshapatri, which other Vaishnavas and Hindus in general don't follow.

They also practice strict segregation of genders which is another thing that sets them apart from most other Vaishnavas.

In terms of philosophy, the Swaminarayan sect adheres to Vishishtadvaita Vedanta (qualified monism) which holds that everyone's soul is a part of the Supreme Being. There are lots of other different philosophies within Hinduism and Hindu sects are divided on which one they adhere to.

The vast majority of Swaminarayans are Gujaratis (people who come from the western state of Gujarat in India) so in that respect, the Swaminarayan sect is very much a regional one.

These are the main differences, although there are more subtle ones which would take ages to explain :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)
how can I become a better hindu and more religious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending