The Student Room Group

Will it be too late to change uni?

If, come Sept time, go to uni (Sunderland by the way, studying Public Relations and Journalism) and a couple of weeks down the line or so, I hate it, will I be able to go to a different uni? Change it straight away? Drop out and go to a uni down south or whatever? Or would I have to drop out, wait a year and go to a different uni then?
Has anybody else had these thoughts? That a week or so into their course, they just don't want to be there, and want to go elsewhere?
Is anybody going Sunderland, or is anybody already there; what's it like if so?
Reply 1
If you drop out after a few weeks you haven't really given the uni/course enough of a chance. Going to uni is a big change so you might hate it at first, but end up loving it later if you try. But if you did drop out it's unlikely you'd be able to transfer so you'd need to wait a year and reapply.
Reply 2
As above, you won't know anything at all after a week. Try and stick it out for at least a year and see how you go (unless you are having doubts about your choice already, in which case you maybe need to have a rethink).
Reply 3
JASimp22
If, come Sept time, go to uni (Sunderland by the way, studying Public Relations and Journalism) and a couple of weeks down the line or so, I hate it, will I be able to go to a different uni? Change it straight away? Drop out and go to a uni down south or whatever? Or would I have to drop out, wait a year and go to a different uni then?
Has anybody else had these thoughts? That a week or so into their course, they just don't want to be there, and want to go elsewhere?
Is anybody going Sunderland, or is anybody already there; what's it like if so?

I think you would have to drop out and reapply. You need to make sure that this is the university for you. I'm currently in a University that I hated due to making the stupid mistake of not going to enough open days at other uni's. However there was is a girl in my halls who started a few weeks at my uni after attending another uni and she hated it. Someone she managed to get a transfer, however I would not rely on this. :smile:

Also like said, I hated university at the start of the year, began to grow to like it towards the end of the last semester and now I hate it again. You have to give it a few weeks/months before you can really say. But if you are having doubts about your course/uni then you might want to consider rethinking your plans. If your unsure you can always take a year out and rethink, it will give you time to go and visit other potential uni's. Like said above, going to a university is a big decision and you have to make sure you have made the right decision.
Reply 4
Reapplication is your only real option.
And to all the people that keep saying "you won't really know"- some people do know. I knew when I was rapidly losing weight and couldn't sleep at all, my body wasn't going to cope until things improved.
Hey,

I'm also going to Sunderland uni in September. I feel kind of the same as you, I live about 4 hours away from Sunderland so it's a huge move for me, one i'm both excited and nervous about. It is a big risk, moving to any university is but everyone does it, it's going to be hard as everyone can only base their choices of universities on one (or more) opening days. Anyway, everyone's in the same boat but the way I've been thinking is that aslong as I can stick it out for the first year, if I don't like it, I can transfer and do my second year in a different university :smile:.

I hands down think it'll be an amazing experience, an amazing atmosphere. Yes, they'll be highs and lows, times when we think 'what have I done' but that'd happen in almost every university, in my opinion. You just have to give it time and remember, everyone's in the same boat :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending