The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Hi Everyone,

As you know I give hair advice and try as best as I can to come on here and answer your questions. However, quite often I miss many of your questions because five get posted at once and I only see the first and last!

I'm trying to build a hair resouce on my website which will hold a wealth of information which people can just go onto and receive the answer they want.
Therefore (if you wouldn't mind helping me) I wondered if you could put your hair questions to me in this thread and I will a) answer them and b) use them on my site so you have access to them in the future.

The categories I'd really like questions on are:-

Style (cuts, home styling, perming, straightening etc)
Colour (all issues colour related)
Mens (Guys please send me anything grooming related and I'll help)

And anything else you can think of!

Again - sorry if I miss any of your questions - but hopefully if we can try and contain them within one thread I will have more chance finding them again.

Also - remember to join me on Facebook at 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert' and on Twitter as I post updates and links to hair regularly on here too!

Kind Regards

Scott

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi JJ you have two options. Buy a curl defining spray - something from John Freida's range would be good and when you get up just lightly spray your hair and scrunch it - the curls should start to redefine and look more formed again.

The best option (for curly hair) is (when you wake up) take some random sections and simply tong them. This will give your hair volume and bounce, but if you don't wash your hair everyday you'll find after a day or so you may not need to tong as the curls have survived the night!

I hope that helps.

Regards

Scott
My hair is dead straight and short. How can I make it go wavy/curly without damaging it too much?
Hi Scott,

I was just wondering if theres anything you could suggest to maximise hair growth? I've heard a lot of suggestions so far i.e. MSM, Biotin, nettle, sea kelp, garlic, antenatal vitamins, green tea, exercising more, drinking more water, eating a high-protein diet, and scalp massages. Do you think any of these help? Or is there anything else you can recommend? And to what extent is healthy hair growth or fast hair growth dependent on what you put into your body (i.e. diet/supplements) - or is it just something genetic that you can't change?

Also I remember you talking about L'Oreal Castings, and saying something about how the dye melts into the hair when you use straighteners on it, and the colour gets stuck there. I've used it in the past and had that problem - so I was just wondering which semi-permanent dyes are the "safest" on hair i.e. which ones cause the least longterm damage and wash out when they say they will. I'm using Garnier Herbashine at the moment - is that one OK?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Hey Scott, thanks for taking your time to read. I really appreciate it, I'm not too clued up on hair if I'm being honest so really appreciate your time.

Basically, I've been dying my hair for about 6 years with permanent dyes from stores (all different brands etc) My natural hair color is (or wa, when I was like 12/13) a dark blonde. Its been every color under the sun - black, ginger, green (ugh) brown, red. As you can imagine its pretty dry/probably damaged etc. I have been growing my hair out for a while, not dyed it in months. Its dark brown at the minute. I'm hoping to get it back to my natural colour then go a golden/honey blonde color. Thing is, I'm terrified of hair dressers so this is all happening at home.
If I was to buy some sort of hair stripper, what would be the likely consequences? Is my hair liable to survive or just break off and fall out? I really need to strip my hair somehow, its taking way too long to grow out and my roots are horrible, especially in the sun. If my hair was able to be stripped, what after treatment would you recommend? And after that, what product would I lighten it? I'm really nervous about doing this but I've had way too many har disasters to continue my dark look - plus I fancy a change!
Thankyou, sorry it was long.
Hi Scott,, I have a problem with my hair: it goes greasy really quickly and it rely annoys me. I can't leave my hair to grease, I just have to wash it... I cant stand greasy hair! I have to wash my hair every other day otherwise it greases. Do you have any idea what I should do??

If you do have the time to answer,, PLEASE quote me..thanks soo much for your help :biggrin:
Reply 6
RainbowDrops
My hair is dead straight and short. How can I make it go wavy/curly without damaging it too much?

There are several things you can try, I don't know how short your hair is, but if its quite short you could try pin curling. To do this you can buy some pin curl clips from Superdrug (for around £1) and all you do is you wash your hair, towel dry it and take small sections of hair and curl them around your finger to create a 'loop'. You then clamp the curl in place with the pin curl. Go around your head taking sections and creating this loop and pin curling and leave to dry naturally. It will create a really nice curl effect when done.

Another tip (which seems old fashioned but would work well on your hair) is buying some large black perm rods from a hairdressing wholesalers and an acid perm kit (total cost would be around £5). Wash your hair in baby shampoo, towel dry and wind your hair securely on the large black perm rods. Next apply the acid perm as directed in the instructions.

The result will be a non damaging wave (as opposed to a curl) which you can put some curl balm in and leave to dry naturally. It will give you lots of texture and movement but you won't have that 'permed' look or damage.
Reply 7
Girl Overboard
Hi Scott,

I was just wondering if theres anything you could suggest to maximise hair growth? I've heard a lot of suggestions so far i.e. MSM, Biotin, nettle, sea kelp, garlic, antenatal vitamins, green tea, exercising more, drinking more water, eating a high-protein diet, and scalp massages. Do you think any of these help? Or is there anything else you can recommend? And to what extent is healthy hair growth or fast hair growth dependent on what you put into your body (i.e. diet/supplements) - or is it just something genetic that you can't change?

Also I remember you talking about L'Oreal Castings, and saying something about how the dye melts into the hair when you use straighteners on it, and the colour gets stuck there. I've used it in the past and had that problem - so I was just wondering which semi-permanent dyes are the "safest" on hair i.e. which ones cause the least longterm damage and wash out when they say they will. I'm using Garnier Herbashine at the moment - is that one OK?

Thank you :smile:

Hi, well firstly hair growth is entirely dictated by diet and genetics. Nothing you apply externally can really help improve hair growth. The major factors which can help are:-

Marine proteins (such as cod liver oil and kelp) and a general overall healthy diet. Too much alcohol, dieting, lack of general nutrients will all contribute to poor hair. Personally I'd suggest taking cod liver oil and maybe a hair and nail supplement. Ultimately even these cannot work wonders if your DNA has dictated you have dry fine hair - but they are a good starting point for anyone.

With semi permanents and silicone damage, pretty much all in retail contain it. The ones that don't are professional colours like Wella Colour Touch which you only find wholesale.

Nicky Clarke used to have a semi permanent in Boots (I think they still stock it) that was a true semi with beeswax. Its difficult and I would say the best results you get from retail semi permanents is to apply them to quite damp hair even a little wet. This dilutes them and ensures they can't penetrate the hair shaft as much. If you did this with Casting you'd cut down on silicone damage and peroxide lightening.

Regards

Scott
Reply 8
Tw1x
Hey Scott, thanks for taking your time to read. I really appreciate it, I'm not too clued up on hair if I'm being honest so really appreciate your time.

Basically, I've been dying my hair for about 6 years with permanent dyes from stores (all different brands etc) My natural hair color is (or wa, when I was like 12/13) a dark blonde. Its been every color under the sun - black, ginger, green (ugh) brown, red. As you can imagine its pretty dry/probably damaged etc. I have been growing my hair out for a while, not dyed it in months. Its dark brown at the minute. I'm hoping to get it back to my natural colour then go a golden/honey blonde color. Thing is, I'm terrified of hair dressers so this is all happening at home.
If I was to buy some sort of hair stripper, what would be the likely consequences? Is my hair liable to survive or just break off and fall out? I really need to strip my hair somehow, its taking way too long to grow out and my roots are horrible, especially in the sun. If my hair was able to be stripped, what after treatment would you recommend? And after that, what product would I lighten it? I'm really nervous about doing this but I've had way too many har disasters to continue my dark look - plus I fancy a change!
Thankyou, sorry it was long.

Hi TW1x,

Firstly my product Colour B4 is a hair colour remover - not a stripper, so if you applied the the Extra Strength version to your hair it should get a lot of that brown out. You may need to apply two applications. I'd suggest take this in two stages, firstly remove your unwanted dark colour and then rest it for a few weeks. Use Naked Vitamin conditioner from Boots to hydrate the hair and put the health back into it and go get a good trim/cut at a salon to take the ends off. If you need to use B4 again, do so a couple of weeks after the first application.

Quite often permanent hair colours will change your natural colour and cause it to look very warm. You don't notice this when the dark colour is on the hair, but once Colour B4 removes it you can see it. Therefore I'd suggest you buy a Wella Colour Fresh 6.0 dark blonde (from www.looksfantastic.com) and after you have used Colour B4 and then given the hair a good treatment with the Naked Vitamin product, apply the Colour Fresh to your damp conditioned hair. Colour Fresh is a temporary colour and will only last a couple of weeks it doesn't damage the hair, but will create a nice short term depth.

I can explain in another response how to get your hair to a natural blonde (yourself), but you won't be able to do this just yet. You may have to apply 2 Colour B4 treatments I'd suggest over a period of a month and use Colour Fresh in the meantime. Once your old dark colour is gone and your hair is in good health you can look to changing it.

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott
Hi there,

My hair is quite limp, basically I have tried a few waxes/gels/moose's and none of them hold my hair in a desired style. For the summer, I'm thinking of having my hair cut a lot shorter (a bit like this: ) however I know it will be tricky moulding my hair into that shape. Could you recommend any strong products? Thanks :smile:
Hey, for about a year and a half i've tried so many different hair products. I'm a guy:-), and i have thick hair that is just a bit longer than short (sort of medium i guess), and i want a product that can give me a natural look (not greasy or shiny) that gives my hair a choppy look i think, so it's has texture and all that jazz, and so my hair on top has thick messy spikes. I need something with a strong hold to stick up my hair. I've tried Schwarzkopf, garnier fructus, vo5, shockwaves, l'oreal, bedhead (only the texturising paste), osmo essence and toni and guy. Vo5 is the best of the cheaper stuff, but not quite right. At the moment i'm using toni and guy texture paste which is probably the best so far, but i'm thinking of tryin their defining wax (both from boots). Do u have any tips for styling my hair, coz that may be where i'm goin wrong. Oh yh, and unfortunately i can't shower in the morning before i do my hair. So i wet it then dry it so it will stick up more, but not as much as when i shower. So i'm thinkin the more expensive stuff is better, but do u have any recommendations? Do u know if the toni&guy defining wax is good? Thanks:-)
Btw i do shower... It's just that i shower at night :-)
sweetascandy
Hi Scott,, I have a problem with my hair: it goes greasy really quickly and it rely annoys me. I can't leave my hair to grease, I just have to wash it... I cant stand greasy hair! I have to wash my hair every other day otherwise it greases. Do you have any idea what I should do??

If you do have the time to answer,, PLEASE quote me..thanks soo much for your help :biggrin:

Yes thats an easy one Sweetascandy - buy Batiste. It's a dry shampoo you can get from Boots or Superdrug and its brilliant on grease. You just spray it through your hair and it cleans it all without needing to wash it. You can also get handbag size cans which are great for you to carry around with you. Give it a try its about £2 and comes in different smells! Its great stuff!
Electric Bloom
Hi there,

My hair is quite limp, basically I have tried a few waxes/gels/moose's and none of them hold my hair in a desired style. For the summer, I'm thinking of having my hair cut a lot shorter (a bit like this: ) however I know it will be tricky moulding my hair into that shape. Could you recommend any strong products? Thanks :smile:

Hi Electric, No worries I will give you some ideas.

Firstly, hair is mouldable from when its wet to dry. So if your hair is limp and you want some texture I'd recommend any type of volume mousse (applied to the hair when wet). Sea Salt Spray (lee Stafford and VO5 do it), you spray this in your hair again when wet and it will give you loads of fullness, bulk and control and styling powders are also great.

The big thing you need to remember is (as I said) hair is mouldable from wet to dry. So always use wet products that give texture (as i have outlined) comb your hair into a firm side parting and use a hairdryer with a nozzle and a small Denman brush (which you can buy in Boots) to style your hair. You will find it only takes you 3-5 minutes to dry your hair with a good 1800 watt dryer (I always recommend Babyliss) and if you brush the hair as you dry and its got mousse or sea salt spray on it you'll get absolulte control that lasts. You can apply the powder afterwards to give it some defination.

Good choice on the hairstyle - heavy partings and fringes are really in this summer!

Cheers

Scott
echelon B-)
Hey, for about a year and a half i've tried so many different hair products. I'm a guy:-), and i have thick hair that is just a bit longer than short (sort of medium i guess), and i want a product that can give me a natural look (not greasy or shiny) that gives my hair a choppy look i think, so it's has texture and all that jazz, and so my hair on top has thick messy spikes. I need something with a strong hold to stick up my hair. I've tried Schwarzkopf, garnier fructus, vo5, shockwaves, l'oreal, bedhead (only the texturising paste), osmo essence and toni and guy. Vo5 is the best of the cheaper stuff, but not quite right. At the moment i'm using toni and guy texture paste which is probably the best so far, but i'm thinking of tryin their defining wax (both from boots). Do u have any tips for styling my hair, coz that may be where i'm goin wrong. Oh yh, and unfortunately i can't shower in the morning before i do my hair. So i wet it then dry it so it will stick up more, but not as much as when i shower. So i'm thinkin the more expensive stuff is better, but do u have any recommendations? Do u know if the toni&guy defining wax is good? Thanks:-)

Hi Echelon,

Similar advice to the above I gave Electric! A lot of what happens with your hair is how it's dried. If you can dry your hair with a hairdryer you will get better results regardless of product. I love Shockwaves Boost It volumizing hairspray - its the best one I have come across for giving control and texture but you have to use it as you are drying. You basically dry the hair 80% and then spray some into your hair and carry on drying - pulling the hair out as you do. Most of the mens products in retail are horrible glupey things that make the hair go wet look and crisp. I don't think anyone in 2010 wants to walk around looking like Ross from Friends! I find men's hair works better with a firmer drier product like clay, wax, or mousse.

If you like a choppy look but your hair is thick and can be a nightmare, buy a straightening balm and apply to your hair when wet. Comb it through really well and then start drying your hair with the hairdryer. The straightening balm will smooth your hair out and then once dry you can apply a product for texture.

Personally I have tried that Toni and Guy texture paste and I agree its not bad - but I like a much stronger matt to give texture (in my hair anyway) I am using the Bryl Cream matt clay at the moment and that works well for me and could for you too as its firm. The new wave of hair powders are also brilliant for texture. Toni and Guy do one of those but its only in salons (I think). Powders are far better for guys hair as they can be dusted in at the end of drying and you get the fullness and the texture too!

To be honest (for texture) Fudge Shaper is still good stuff. Ridiculously priced (It's probably about £13 a tub by now!) but it lasts for ages when you have it. Their strong hold variant is really good. I used it for donkey's years between the end of the 1990's (when we hadn't had anything as exciting and nice smelling as that before) to about 2003. However I have recently rediscovered it again and it really does still do the trick!

Give the ones I have suggested a go. Just try not to overload your hair with product. Keep a product to put control in the hair when wet (like a straightening balm or mousse) and another product to give texture once you've dried (such as shockwaves hairspray, Bryl Cream Clay, Fudge, Powder etc) As I say to the girls try using dry shampoos like Batiste in exchange of washing sometimes. Batiste is also great for texture on demand!

Hope thats helped a bit.

Cheers

Scott
Hiya, i like to backcomb my hair to get it big and voluminous, how ever i dont want to do this anymore because i dont want hair damage, i dont have any yet, but want to stop it now. Are there any other ways of creating a nice big hair look without having to do that? thanks
Reply 16
I'm going to sticky this for you as I think it's a great resource :smile:
Hi xcurse - yes there are a few ways to get big hair easily (without backcombing). Firstly buy some of these:-

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=B1100&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=bump_its&utm_campaign=JML_Products_2

Bump its are brilliant as you literally stick them in at the crown and they give you instant volume.

I would also suggest you get used to setting your hair on big rollers. You can use Velcro ones (where you apply them throughout dry hair and then cover in hairspray before waiting 20 minutes), however I'd suggest you buy big regular rollers. Apply to wet hair which you have covered in Sea Salt spray and wind up. The rollers you should go with are these:-

http://www.salonsdirect.com/product/hair/salon-sundries/hair-rollers/jet-set-ez-grip-jumbo-set-x-30-rollers

If you apply the jumbo ones (or even the smaller size) to wet hair which has sea salt spray in it and then leave the hair to dry out over a couple of hours your hair will have massive volume and not be damaged or dry at all. Also wet sets last! So if you only did this twice a week you could simply use Batiste dry shampoo in between to keep your hair fresh and the dry shampoo would also boost the volume.

Continual washing and conditioning will make hair flat, so setting with rollers like these twice a week with sea salt spray and using dry shampoo in between will give you best results. Especially if you wear a bump it in your crown at the same time!

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott
*River
I'm going to sticky this for you as I think it's a great resource :smile:

Hi River - thats great (although I'm not sure what Sticky is! LOL).

I really wanted people to be able to get hair answers easily, because I had trouble helping everyone before as I kept losing all the hair issues in the various posts! LOL
Thanks for your help Scott, I'll try and pick up some of those products and see how it goes.

Great idea for a thread by the way, thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest