The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hiya Scott

Once upon a time I had nice very light brown hair ^^ For many years I have dyed it many many different colours with many many different hair dyes and the latest was darkest brown by nice and easy ( always permanent btw ). I tend to favour dark browns and deep reds but ideally I dont want to dye my hair many more times.

I've read all the wonderful advice you have given and wondered what would be the best thing for me to do. I am certain I would need the extra strength to even have a chance of the dyes coming out and do expect the ends to be much darker than the rest of my hair. Will it go bright orange (kinda expect that with the many red dyes I have used) and what should be the final dye to use to try get it as close to light brown as possible :biggrin:

Carla x
Reply 121
Hello Scott

Possibly an easy one, but I wouldn't know! I have messy curly hair, sort of like an afro but Im a white male. I like my hair big, sometimes it goes flat on top. Backcoming only makes my hair frizzy like hay, sprays that Ive used just make my hair feel very sticky and generally flatter! I haven't tried mousse yet however.

Any suggestions?
Hey man!!

you know any good salon in east london or central london? thanks
Original post by Shadia

Original post by Shadia
Hello Scott Cornwall

I hope you can help me with my hair colour problem and let me know if your colour removal will help me get my natural hair colour back (original hair was Black)

I have dyed my hair couples of times at home..1st time I dyed was about 2 years ago...i used L'Oreal product which I cant excatly remeber the name but it was blonde colour and the result turned out 2 be wrong and not wat i expected ..it was burgundy/dark redish colour which i didnt like it but kept that for a year...then I re-dye using black powder dye (Type of Japanese hair colour) to get close to my natural colour and it has made the redish colour faded away after few months later but the last bits especially the ends of the hair were the same colour in the light. After this I haven't done anything to my hair for at least a yr n half until last week Saturday, dyed AGAIN using Garnier Nutrisse 73 Golden Blonde (I haven't realised was permanent type) and was aiming to get light ash brown colour which i have achieved on the roots and top kind middle part of the hair but the rest of my hair is black and it doesn't look all nice and pretty like I wanted :frown:......... i was wondering if i use your colour B4 will help me get back my natural hair colour (black)? If not what colour will i achieve at the end if I use this product and what type shall i use the "extra strength colour remover or just the normal Colour B4 ? What is the diffrent between the two of the product in terms of how effective they are to remove colour ? I'm soo sorry for asking to many questions =///=..I'm jst dying to get help before i make another disaster out my hair ???

ThAnk you sooo much ??? X3

Shadia

this is picture recent colour i used!

If you have black on your hair after colouring, it sounds as though you might have Colour Build up. I would suggest you firstly use B4 U Colour several times (which you can get from Boots online) this will remove any excess build up. I would then use Extra Strength Colour B4 and leave it on for 1 hour. I will warn you it is possible you have silicone damage which is caused when you use high heats from straightening irons - but you will only know this once you've tried Colour B4.
Original post by emmalouiseyyy

Original post by emmalouiseyyy
Hi :smile:

I have bleached my hair at home and have been left with verry light blonde/orange in the lengths and pale yellow at the roots. What should I do next? Would a blonde dye cover it?

You need to lighten it again on the midlengths and ends - its orange because it hasn't lightened enough. You could try using a lightening hair colourant as this may give you a mor even result.
Original post by Carla78

Original post by Carla78
Hiya Scott

Once upon a time I had nice very light brown hair ^^ For many years I have dyed it many many different colours with many many different hair dyes and the latest was darkest brown by nice and easy ( always permanent btw ). I tend to favour dark browns and deep reds but ideally I dont want to dye my hair many more times.

I've read all the wonderful advice you have given and wondered what would be the best thing for me to do. I am certain I would need the extra strength to even have a chance of the dyes coming out and do expect the ends to be much darker than the rest of my hair. Will it go bright orange (kinda expect that with the many red dyes I have used) and what should be the final dye to use to try get it as close to light brown as possible :biggrin:

Carla x

The more colourants you have put onto your hair means the more your natural colour will have been lightened by the peroxide within the products. This is when users see that warm result revealed.

If you want a light brown result you may be better using the Foil Effects Cap rather than Colour B4 and following the true toning highlighting method using a 7.1 - medium ash blonde to tone. This would give you a very natural light brown result.
Original post by bengalisoldier

Original post by bengalisoldier
Hey man!!

you know any good salon in east london or central london? thanks

If you want a male salon I would suggest Jason Shankey in Fulham, I had heard they might have been opening one in the city - but if you can get to Fulham this salon would be the best salon for you.
Original post by Gowrav

That's a very difficult colour to get on black hair because that shade is called a 6.0 - dark blonde. It looks brown but actually you need a dark blonde 6.0 colourant to achieve the result. The issue you have is you can't get that shade on black hair without bleaching it first.

Also, if your hair is half curly and half straight you need your hair permed on blue and grey perm rods to get this kind of even curl all over. The hair is then cut to the same even length all over (with no chipping in).

If you bleach hair it will effect how a curl behaves - typically it will straighten hair out. I think you might have to choose one thing or the other, the colour or the curl. If you want the colour the best way to get it would be to use the Foil Effects Cap and follow the method for men's highlights. However - true tone this with a 6.1 dark ash blonde. This will give you that lighter brown hair colour.

If you want the perm option - go to a hairdressing college and ask a Level 3 student to do it - tell them it needs to be wound on a 9 section with grey and blue hair rods. This will give you that kind of uniform curl.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Scott
Original post by 16manu
Hello Scott

Possibly an easy one, but I wouldn't know! I have messy curly hair, sort of like an afro but Im a white male. I like my hair big, sometimes it goes flat on top. Backcoming only makes my hair frizzy like hay, sprays that Ive used just make my hair feel very sticky and generally flatter! I haven't tried mousse yet however.

Any suggestions?

Just as I have said to the other poster - if you like big afro hair you need a perm. Perming hair will make the curls more uniform all over and stronger. If you get the hair permed on red rods (again at a Level 3 hairdressing college) it will take on a stronger firmer curl and will be lease prone to frizzing. You can then use a frizz ease product on it to define all the curl.
Hey Scott. Really quick one.

Naturally wavey hair already. Is there a "new" perm available for loose curls? And how much danage will it cause? My hair, bless it, has been subject to many years of straightening ions and hot hardryers.

Thanks. I see you have a lot of responses so when you're ready :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by asdaprice*

Original post by asdaprice*
Hi scott :smile:
I have dark rich chocolate brown hair and I want to keep that richness but make it have a red tint to it. If i used live xxl red hair dye - you know the really crazy bright red on my dark hair, will it have that subtle tint? Ive never died my hair before. Also would u reccomend anyway i could do this naturally ive heard using henna and lemon juice on my hair can give it that mahogany reddish tint but im not sure - what would you reccomend? xxx ps quote me on message me please hun :wink: xxx

I wouldn't suggest using Henna as you cannot colour the hair again afterwards with a traditional product as they react. If you like that warm hue you need to lighten the hair slightly and this will kick up the warmth. Typically Casting products will do this. I would suggest you try using a dark blonde casting colourant (which looks light brown on the box) you should find this gives you that warm hue you are looking for.
Reply 132
Original post by ScottCornwall
That's a very difficult colour to get on black hair because that shade is called a 6.0 - dark blonde. It looks brown but actually you need a dark blonde 6.0 colourant to achieve the result. The issue you have is you can't get that shade on black hair without bleaching it first.

Also, if your hair is half curly and half straight you need your hair permed on blue and grey perm rods to get this kind of even curl all over. The hair is then cut to the same even length all over (with no chipping in).

If you bleach hair it will effect how a curl behaves - typically it will straighten hair out. I think you might have to choose one thing or the other, the colour or the curl. If you want the colour the best way to get it would be to use the Foil Effects Cap and follow the method for men's highlights. However - true tone this with a 6.1 dark ash blonde. This will give you that lighter brown hair colour.

If you want the perm option - go to a hairdressing college and ask a Level 3 student to do it - tell them it needs to be wound on a 9 section with grey and blue hair rods. This will give you that kind of uniform curl.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Scott

Thanks a lot! it really helped, but is thier anyway of me getting this style without going to a salon?
Original post by ScottCornwall
If you want a male salon I would suggest Jason Shankey in Fulham, I had heard they might have been opening one in the city - but if you can get to Fulham this salon would be the best salon for you.

do you know how long it would take 18 yo to grow beard?
Reply 134
I'm gonna go to that Jason Shankey place cause I used his site to get stuff before and it was good and really cheap- now they don't sell the same stuff which sucks.

I recently got a really bad haircut (loose bits everywhere) so i decided to shave it all off the next day because it was pissing me off :yep:. But it really doesn't suit me at all lol. How long roughly will it take to grow back for my next haircut? I normally get my haircut every 3 weeks if thats anything to go by. Is there anything I can do to make my hair grow quicker? Cheers bro.
Reply 135
Hi scott or anyone who can help

I have been dying my natural mousey brown hair for years blonde, brown black , all sorts , but i have just dyed it from a medium brown to a red using loreal ferial plum power which is a really lovely colour but went quite dark brown and the red is there but looks dark in the house until i go outside , its not far off cheryl coles colour which is the colour i want i dont know what to put on to give it a bit more red to it i want to be able to see the red indoors as well as out , but dont wanna be too bright .

hope i am explaining myself ok , my hair is red under the light , just want this colour with out the light i dont want to be a vivid red like rhiannas , if i put a really bright vibrant red on top of this would that work or would that just darken the hai more

help !!!! im so impatient with my hair i want cheryls hair colour

hope you cam help me
thanks
Original post by Loz17
Hey Scott. Really quick one.

Naturally wavey hair already. Is there a "new" perm available for loose curls? And how much danage will it cause? My hair, bless it, has been subject to many years of straightening ions and hot hardryers.

Thanks. I see you have a lot of responses so when you're ready :h:

You can't really get a perm for loose curls. You would be better just setting your hair with mousse and bigger rollers every few days and using dry shampoo in between. That would give you the look you are after.
Reply 137
I dyed my hair dark brown about a year ago with supposedly semi-permanent hair dye, but it never came out. Now I've had my hair highlighted 3 times (in the process of going blonde) but it's going to take AGES to become blonde this way. It's annoying because my natural hair colour is a light brown/dark blonde colour, but because of the dye its dark brown with bits of blonde going through it. Anyway ... I was browsing online and came across this product called Colour B4, which removes dark brown, red, or black from hair and restores it to it's natural colour, but it doesn't remove lighter shades i.e. blonde. So i was thinking if I apply this to my hair will it remove the dark brown from my hair so I'm left with my natural hair colour instead (and will not interfere with the highlights) OR will it just mess up the highlights?

Please help :smile:
Reply 138
Hi: I dont have much hair on my head and my hair is thin
what should i do?
should i have short hair or the long one?
Reply 139
Original post by Electric Bloom
Hi there,

My hair is quite limp, basically I have tried a few waxes/gels/moose's and none of them hold my hair in a desired style. For the summer, I'm thinking of having my hair cut a lot shorter (a bit like this: ) however I know it will be tricky moulding my hair into that shape. Could you recommend any strong products? Thanks :smile:

Would this haircut work with fine hair? The guys hair in the picture looks 'fine' to me but can I just clarify it would work, using the correct products.

Quick Reply

Latest