The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tae-Hwan Lee
I mean I am doing IB right now. So if I were to do it, A level Maths and FM must be a joke ( I mean, come on, I am doing IB Maths HL and FM SL) and I can take another subject like physics or economics where I can really work on.

the sad thing may be that there would be no predicted grades. huh :smile:

I am studying for STEP at the moment and I was told that A level maths/fmaths was about the right amount of knowledge needed for STEP, while IB didn't really cut it. Having said that, I have seen IB papers and the questions are very different to A level.

PS. Try doing FP2, then tell me Further maths is a joke :p:
I am doing it!
Reply 22
MathsHamster
I am studying for STEP at the moment and I was told that A level maths/fmaths was about the right amount of knowledge needed for STEP, while IB didn't really cut it. Having said that, I have seen IB papers and the questions are very different to A level.

PS. Try doing FP2, then tell me Further maths is a joke :p:

that is not really true. when they say 'IB didn't really cut it', they meant 'IB Maths HL'. IB Further maths is the subject that less than 100 people in the world take it every year and only 4~5 of them getting 7s on. trust me, it is really really hard.

and I heard that IB Maths HL is about the same level as FM + Maths in A level. yes the course is different, but considering the average score we get from this exams, I don't think A level is particularly difficult than IB Maths. (IB Maths usually averages around 5 ish, while in A level maths, almost 20% of A level students get A on it)
Reply 23
yet, I have to admit that FM in A level isn't a joke. I think my choice of word was kinda harsh.

Latest