The Student Room Group

Studying for Both CertHE and A Levels in the Same Year

Has anyone studied for both CertHE and A levels in the same year before? How was it?

I contacted the university I want to attend, and they advised that it would be better if I would be able to offer an A level in Maths (and Further Maths, if possible), in addition to a relevant CertHE in my subject area, as I am applying into one of their most competitive departments. Hence, why I am looking into studying for both CertHE and A levels in the same year to be able to apply for 2024 entry.

Also, do you recommend any [fast track] A level distance learning provider, esp. for Further Maths? Based on what I can see in the NEC website, they offer fast track A level Maths but not Further Maths.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

---

If these bits of information helps, I have been working in computational and quantitative research, including structural policy recommendation work, the past 7 years, so I am not overly concerned about the contents of the study as I am familiar with most of them (work and independent study). I am looking into studying economics in university.
(edited 11 months ago)
Which CertHE are you planning to study?
And which degree are you then aiming to start?

A certhe is rarely a good option tbh. You’d normally be better off taking just A levels or an Access to HE Diploma.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which CertHE are you planning to study?
And which degree are you then aiming to start?

A certhe is rarely a good option tbh. You’d normally be better off taking just A levels or an Access to HE Diploma.

I am planning to register with Oxford's Department for Continuing Education; main subject area is in Political Economy.

I am looking for entry into BSc Economics and Econometrics or BSc Economics and Mathematics (outside of Oxford).

---

I do not really have any grand reason for doing a CertHE aside from (1) I am already very familiar with the contents of the courses because of work so I know I would be able to do well in it and aim for distinction, (2) ability to finish with a CertHE in case I decide later on that a CertHE is enough for me, and (3) I can finish it in a year.

I left with a secondary school diploma 9 years ago (outside of UK), which was assessed to be equivalent to Year 11.
Original post by howquaint
I am planning to register with Oxford's Department for Continuing Education; main subject area is in Political Economy.

I am looking for entry into BSc Economics and Econometrics or BSc Economics and Mathematics (outside of Oxford).

---

I do not really have any grand reason for doing a CertHE aside from (1) I am already very familiar with the contents of the courses because of work so I know I would be able to do well in it and aim for distinction, (2) ability to finish with a CertHE in case I decide later on that a CertHE is enough for me, and (3) I can finish it in a year.

I left with a secondary school diploma 9 years ago (outside of UK), which was assessed to be equivalent to Year 11.

Are you sure you can complete within a year? Their website states that the course is 2-4 years. If it's over 12 months then that will impact your eligibility for tuition fee loans for a full time degree course (SFE assume that someone with a CertHE will enter onto a degree in Year 2 of the degree).
A CertHE isn't an entry qualification - it's equivalent to year 1 of a 3 year degree. I wouldn't recommend it as a route for someone looking to join a full time degree.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Are you sure you can complete within a year? Their website states that the course is 2-4 years. If it's over 12 months then that will impact your eligibility for tuition fee loans for a full time degree course (SFE assume that someone with a CertHE will enter onto a degree in Year 2 of the degree).
A CertHE isn't an entry qualification - it's equivalent to year 1 of a 3 year degree. I wouldn't recommend it as a route for someone looking to join a full time degree.

Yes, it can be completed in a year, assuming (1) no resits, (2) courses are taken equivalent to a full-time schedule, and (3) you opt to take a combination of classes (some classes are run asynchronously; some classes are run with live meetings—in-person and online live). Most students in the department continue to work and a lot choose to only attend the weekly in-person classes, so the CertHE is assumed as a two to four-year part-time study. Depending on the availability of specific courses, one can finish it as early as April; usually between June and August.

---

Thank you for your advice! I will reach out to my target university again regarding this and, potentially, just focus on A levels and aim for A*A*A*.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending