The Student Room Group

3rd Year Exams

During May/June I have my 3rd Year exams, and wondering what to do to prepare for them.

I take: English, Maths, German, Biology, Modern Studies, Geography, Graphics and PE.

I do Int 2 for English, Maths and PE and Standard Grade for the rest. My mum is going to the shops to get like a booklet for each Subject of like past papers and basically a booklet of everything in the Topic I need to know for my 4th year exams, and this will obviously include stuff for 3rd year. This will be a good starting place for revision.
As I say the exams start in May/June time before the Summer Break and I'm wondering when I should start revising, who with and how much each day.
How can I prepare the best so I get best results?
Reply 1
What the hell is a third year exam?

For all exams in any subject except things like english just do past papers, revise what you got wrong, then do another, revise what you got wrong, continue....

By third year exam do you mean a standard grade done early? Or something else?

Don't worry, as long as your smart you can get As at SG with very little work.
Reply 2
CJN
What the hell is a third year exam?

For all exams in any subject except things like english just do past papers, revise what you got wrong, then do another, revise what you got wrong, continue....

By third year exam do you mean a standard grade done early? Or something else?

Don't worry, as long as your smart you can get As at SG with very little work.

Nah, they're exams you sit at the end of S3 which cover what you've already done in SG, nothing official.
Reply 3
LuhLah
Nah, they're exams you sit at the end of S3 which cover what you've already done in SG, nothing official.

When did people start doing these? Are they recent (like under 3 years old)?

Whats the reasoning behind them? There are already too many exams and tests, so there is little time to learn, surely it is better off having pupils attend class instead of sit 3rd year exams?

Anyway... to OP just do past papers and read/write notes - you might find past papers hard since you wont have done half the stuff.
Reply 4
CJN
When did people start doing these? Are they recent (like under 3 years old)?

Whats the reasoning behind them? There are already too many exams and tests, so there is little time to learn, surely it is better off having pupils attend class instead of sit 3rd year exams?

Anyway... to OP just do past papers and read/write notes - you might find past papers hard since you wont have done half the stuff.

No idea, but I remember doing a few. I think it acts like a prelim :dontknow:

And I agree that there's too many exams. It's all exam technique and endless courses now.
I also remember doing them, not sure what the purpose of them is.
Reply 6
I must have missed out on something :frown:

I don't even think my school do them now, they definitely didn't 3 years ago.

OP don't stress, just focus and get some revision in - if you worry just remeber they don't matter. If you do well, then you know you can do the same at the end of next year.

^Same attitude applies for prelims.
Lots of schools do them, but not all. I don't know anyone who treated them as anything other than an opportunity to do even less than usual for a couple weeks. :dontknow: Not that I condone this, of course, but you do probably want to enjoy your last year of the next 8 where you don't have to worry about exams. :wink: Treat them as an opportunity to get an idea of what you need to do, get comfortable with exam conditions, and so on.
Reply 8
omgs this makes me think I should start revising for my AAA at AH offer :frown: :frown:
Reply 9
Just make a list of all the things you can remember struggling with, and then spend as much time as is required looking at your books until you understand it and tick it off on the list.
Reply 10
Just wing it like I did. :wink:

But no, I think they act as pre-prelim exams. They ain't important. If you feel you should revise, just do questions from the text book/past papers. I got like All B's and C's with no revision, came out with all A's/1's at the end of fourth year.

You've got highers to look forward to remember :wink:
They give you a taste of what an exam is like, and at my school if you did well you got a prizegiving distinction :wink:
Sometimes you can get moved from G/C to F/G, but not often i don't think.
I just winged it, and got A's & 1's and a 2.
Reply 12
oh I remember them last year. at my school, they're on just now. Their purpose is to show us how the prelims will look like and they are also to make us take the actual prelims more seriosuly. These exams were so easy! Don't stress too much, just revise, not a lot because you won't have much to revise from anyway. They're not as important as prelims but it's good if you do well in them and shouw your teachers that you are capable of getting a good grade. Hah, It's funny when I'm saying it know, because I started revising for them like 2 months before they actually started... It's the prelims you have to study a lot (at least I did) for my real exams I started revising in January and now I'm just panicking about them as they start this Friday... Good Luck !
Reply 13
Martyna156
oh I remember them last year. at my school, they're on just now. Their purpose is to show us how the prelims will look like and they are also to make us take the actual prelims more seriosuly. These exams were so easy! Don't stress too much, just revise, not a lot because you won't have much to revise from anyway. They're not as important as prelims but it's good if you do well in them and shouw your teachers that you are capable of getting a good grade. Hah, It's funny when I'm saying it know, because I started revising for them like 2 months before they actually started... It's the prelims you have to study a lot (at least I did) for my real exams I started revising in January and now I'm just panicking about them as they start this Friday... Good Luck !

Wow I just started studying yesterday for the exams.. Isn't the first one next Friday (Chemistry)?
Reply 14
Quintro
Wow I just started studying yesterday for the exams.. Isn't the first one next Friday (Chemistry)?

I wouldn't worry about SG Chem, a retarded monkey doing a handstand with sparkler up its ass could get a 1 :yep:

Ahhh I forgot how close together the SG exams are :eek3: That would be murder at higher lol
Reply 15
LuhLah
I wouldn't worry about SG Chem, a retarded monkey doing a handstand with sparkler up its ass could get a 1 :yep:

Ahhh I forgot how close together the SG exams are :eek3: That would be murder at higher lol

Yeah I'm finding it easy tbh. :woo:

I have Chemistry next Friday then no exams for like 3 weeks and then the rest are all crammed in lol.
Reply 16
Quintro

I had my Art exam today : ) the next exam is English on Thursday, next week : | <panic>

What SG are u sitting? I'm sitting Art, English, Maths, Geography, Graphic Communication, Biology, Computing and French.
Reply 17
I done English last year but this year I'm doing Int 2 Maths, and Standard Grades in Craft, Graphics, Modern Studies (hate it), Physics, Biology and Chemistry. :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Quintro
I done English last year but this year I'm doing Int 2 Maths, and Standard Grades in Craft, Graphics, Modern Studies (hate it), Physics, Biology and Chemistry. :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:

oh, why do you hate Modern Studies? I'm going to do Higher (hopefully, depends on how I pass geography). I think Modern is okay, at least it's better than Geography ; )

yeah, good luck ; )

Latest

Trending

Trending