The Student Room Group

Back into school after 10 years - Is it worth it?

Hi,

I had recently posted a thread on opinions for my Masters Course and the next obvious question for me to answer is - Is it really going to be financially rewarding?
I am sure a lot of Mature students face difficult questions on whether it's the right decision to get back into school. Any inputs or thoughts from other Mature students who have faced/facing such common dilemmas while deciding to get back into school?

I plan to do my Masters in Business Analytics and Consulting from Warwick. Course fees being £9k with one year off work and living expenses approx £12k, I am going to be dearer by atleast £22k at the end of my course.

The million dollar question is - While I currently draw a salary of £32k in my perm job as a Business Analyst, will a Masters really help me move up the salary and career ladder? I have 6 years solid work years in IT to back my Masters as well.
My aim with this degree is to move more into management and into roles such as Business Process Manager, Process Improvement Manager or even roles involving Business and IT strategy.

Any advice from those who have been through this stage of their career will really help sort my mind and give me some confidence that I am doing the right thing here!

Thanks
DarkVader
Reply 1
Talk to your firm - sometimes they offer funding throughout your career, especially if you come back to then with more of a business head and more letters after your name.
Reply 2
Thanks for the tip but my company has absolutely no interest in me taking up any course :-(
And forget full time, they are not even considering funding for a 2 year part time course.

In the end, I know I will not have a role with my current employer once I am done which is why I have this concern. Course complete and I then jump into the job market with all other graduates competing for a limited number of roles - hence the apprehension!!!

DarkVader
Reply 3
darkvader
Thanks for the tip but my company has absolutely no interest in me taking up any course :-(
And forget full time, they are not even considering funding for a 2 year part time course.

In the end, I know I will not have a role with my current employer once I am done which is why I have this concern. Course complete and I then jump into the job market with all other graduates competing for a limited number of roles - hence the apprehension!!!

DarkVader
Which is understandable. The problem is that there are no guarantees. Nevertheless, the uni should be able to put you in touch with job opportunities - and if they can't or won't you might want to think again about whether this is the right course for you.

Is a part-time option really not a possibility for you? This would have the benefit of being much less risky on the financial side. In the longer term, having the Master's will be a benefit and should make you eligible for opportunities to take your career much further than you would be able to go without it.
Reply 4
Well, PT study is out as my work is based in the North at the moment and may change in 6 months time. Plus, with the time and dedication and effort required in PT study, it's best to go FT, enjoy the experience of Uni life and do the course well.
While PT study is financially safe and I will still be employed, I believe its not best to do too many things at once. If studying, and that too a Masters, then study well and ace your course. Plus if at LSE and Warwick, time is required to market yourself, make some connections and attend any Career fairs, if available. All these important opportunities are lost if one does PT study.

BTW, following from my post last week, I ordered course details and contacted the colleges and I can't believe I am saying this by I now know that only the MSc ADMIS Course from LSE suits my profile. As I am a Senior Consultant, this course should open doors for good roles in Principal Consultancy or IT Management in some good firms. If not, I am sure I can secure Senior Consultancy roles to get my career back on track :-)

The big question is the £19k tuition fee but then, given it's an investment on my future and its a great place to study, the expense justifies itself. Plus what fun is life if you dont take some risk to better your career? No one's gonna come knocking at my door offering me my dream job now will they???

Cheers
DarkVader

Latest

Trending

Trending