The Student Room Group

University Choice Dilemma...

I'm currently a gap year student and have applied to Kent, DeMontfort, Winchester, Glamorgan and Plymouth for Psychology and Law.
I've narrowed my choices down to Kent and DeMontfort but now I don't know what to do.
I loved the feel of the campus at DeMontfort but Kent has a better quality of teaching and better graduate employment levels.
Can anyone who give me some advice on what to do, particularly if you study at Kent or DeMontfort or if you are doing psychology/law.
Thanks
Might be worth having a search/read around the Kent and DMU subforums for students who might be studying modules in your subjects?
The links are here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=236

and

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=237

In terms of other general advice, all I would suggest is that you make sure you've visited both unis and cities to get a feel for the atmospheres: prestige is important to an extent, but you've got to remember that you'll be spending a few years of your life at the university and city. They're quite far away from each other, so distance from home or something like that might be an important factor for you. Have a look at what's available for students in terms of extracurricular activities - most unis do offer a lot, but one might appeal more to you than another. But, most importantly, I'd say it's also worth looking at the different course contents and seeing which appeals to you more. There's just so many things to consider... accommodation is another thing, too. Normally, I'd say try not to rush such a decision and try to visit both universities again - but if time is ticking, all I would say is perhaps do a lot of research on both universities/departments/courses online, and you could even ring up to have any more queries you want answering dealt with. I hope this helps a little bit.
Reply 2
Thanks Stressworthy.
Do you think the league tables are imporatant in evaluating the universities? I've looked at them all and DeMontfort is significantly lower than Kent. On top of this, for my degree to be accredited at DeMontfort I would have to do an extra conversion year whereas Kent is a 4 year accredited course anyway.
I just feel so stuck with what to do as everyone is telling me that Kent is a better university which is also backed up in the league tables!
Sqwiggle
Thanks Stressworthy.
Do you think the league tables are imporatant in evaluating the universities? I've looked at them all and DeMontfort is significantly lower than Kent. On top of this, for my degree to be accredited at DeMontfort I would have to do an extra conversion year whereas Kent is a 4 year accredited course anyway.
I just feel so stuck with what to do as everyone is telling me that Kent is a better university which is also backed up in the league tables!

I'm no expert, but I'd take league tables with a pinch of salt, because different ones seem to assess different criteria, and one university moving up or down a couple of places from year to year really doesn't mean much in the long run. Having said that, they do give a general guideline so can be quite useful.

This sticky thread from this subforum discusses league tables in depth, and might be of some more help to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

I do think the fact that Kent is 4 years and accredited whilst DMU is 3 years and isn't is worth considering: that's one less thing to worry about going to Kent. And not only that, it was probably harder to get into, in which case congratulations for doing so. But, nobody can tell you where to go - you have to decide this for yourself. If you're still torn and unsure, I would visit again if you have the opportunity... but ultimately, go with your gut instinct and where you know you'd feel happier/more at home, and less likely to be miserable and regretting your decision once there. Unfortunately, nobody can make that choice but yourself.
Reply 4
thank you for your help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending