The Student Room Group

A level choices

Help!! I have no clue what to pick for my a levels. I'm in year 11 right now and I enjoy studying maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, product design, spanish and german. I obviously cannot do 7 a levels but I feel like if I pick subjects that are too similar I close myself off to other career routes. Alternatively, if my subjects have no correlation I do not know if my choices will be good for uni applications. I know for sure that I want to do maths a level but I do not know about the other two choices. I want to pick DT product design because I love it so much but I don't know what I can do with that qualification after A levels. I feel the same about modern foreign languages, I want to know if there is a way for me to continue studying languages but not taking them for A level (my school does not offer AS). For the sciences, I would probably pick bio or chem but they are not my favourite subjects. I just want to be happy and set up a good trajectory for a career in the future. I have no idea what I want to be. For reference I got 8/9s in my mocks for all my subjects so I know I will do well with any choice.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by cupid-agi
Help!! I have no clue what to pick for my a levels. I'm in year 11 right now and I enjoy studying maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, product design, spanish and german. I obviously cannot do 7 a levels but I feel like if I pick subjects that are too similar I close myself off to other career routes. Alternatively, if my subjects have no correlation I do not know if my choices will be good for uni applications. I know for sure that I want to do maths a level but I do not know about the other two choices. I want to pick DT product design because I love it so much but I don't know what I can do with that qualification after A levels. I feel the same about modern foreign languages, I want to know if there is a way for me to continue studying languages but not taking them for A level (my school does not offer AS). For the sciences, I would probably pick bio or chem but they are not my favourite subjects. I just want to be happy and set up a good trajectory for a career in the future. I have no idea what I want to be and I feel awful because everyone else I know does. For reference I got 8/9s in my mocks for all my subjects so I know I will do well with any choice.

Many course at university specify no particular subjects. Others name a single subject, but are happy with any subjects for the other two.

If you don't know what direction you want to head in, then taking Maths, D&T: Product Design and one of those two sciences or two languages would work.

You say "I would probably pick bio or chem but they are not my favourite subjects." Why would you pick subjects you don't enjoy?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Many course at university specify no particular subjects. Others name a single subject, but are happy with any subjects for the other two.

If you don't know what direction you want to head in, then taking Maths, D&T: Product Design and one of those two sciences or two languages would work.

You say "I would probably pick bio or chem but they are not my favourite subjects." Why would you pick subjects you don't enjoy?

To answer your question, I want to keep my options open for university and I have been told that having a science is useful from my teachers and parents. You are right in the sense that I should choose subjects I enjoy, but I know I can do well in the subjects I have listed, so I wouldn't mind taking them further into A levels. I will most likely take Maths and Product Design like you have said, so the question is what do I do for the third choice? Also I know that a lot of courses specify maths and a science for engineering courses and that could be something I am interested in doing. I want a career path where I am comfortable in the money I make and happy. I love languages but if I do not do them for A levels I will not be crushed. I would just try to find a way to continue practising them. I have heard that MFL subjects are not respected a lot by unis and even though this may not be true, I do not want to risk my future because of it.
Also, Thank you for the response to my dilemma. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest