The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bristol Rovers is our only draw.

Otherwise Macclesfield, Northampton, Carlisle.
The only easy game there would of been Macclesfield.
Carlisle would of been harder for Barnet considering last seasons squabble between the two clubs.

Barnet even beat Bristol City on Tuesday 2-4 at their ground! WOOHOO.

I also find it funny that all the clubs in the league at the top come from in and around London! Leyton ain't gonna be the London daddies of the league anymore :biggrin:
Reply 21
Firstly, rovers and carlisle are easy games.

northampton are ahving a terrible start to the season so arent too hard and macclesfield arent as good as last year, so i dont think its that hard a draw :p:

we shall see after 10 games where we all are, that will be far more inidicative for the whole season.

the london teams won't all stay up there for long.
If this thread gathers pace, I will sticky it for you. Nice to see you took my advice. :biggrin:

Yet another in our long list of stickies in the Sports forum. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Rovers is always at the top of the league and always a title contender!! They will be up there at the ned of the season.

Carlisle happens to be 2 points higher than Oxford at the moment as well! They were hard opponents because of the verbal abuse and the relationship between the clubs.

Are you seriously suggesting that Man Utd find Man City just as easy as Fulham?

The teams Oxford has played are all title contenders barring Torquay, and they haven't won one!
Reply 24
walshie
Rovers is always at the top of the league and always a title contender!! They will be up there at the ned of the season.

Carlisle happens to be 2 points higher than Oxford at the moment as well! They were hard opponents because of the verbal abuse and the relationship between the clubs.

Are you seriously suggesting that Man Utd find Man City just as easy as Fulham?

The teams Oxford has played are all title contenders barring Torquay, and they haven't won one!

No they won't, Atkins is crap! Have you seen how badly they have been doing in the last 20 odd games? They finished somehwere around 15th last year.

4 games into the league season the table doesnt mean anything. They are not going to be difficult opponents when compared to the likes of wycombe.

no im taking the piss :smile:

yes i know, thats why im saying its irrelevant that you say you're higher than us in the table :p:
Reply 25
ChelseaBabe
If this thread gathers pace, I will sticky it for you. Nice to see you took my advice. :biggrin:

Yet another in our long list of stickies in the Sports forum. :rolleyes:

Yay!

The 'Babe rocks!

I should have made this ages ago, but the Cow Society Pages have been keeping me busy. I defer to El Pollo's initiative this time :smile:
Reply 26
*halleluah chorus* A thread at last for the REAL football fan on TSR! I had this idea last week after the unbelievable lack of interest to the fact that LEYTON ORIENT WERE TOP OF LEAGUE 2 when I posted the good news in the UFF. They were more interested in whether Michael Essien would get a bloody first team place! Imagine the cheek!

Right lets get started. Gary Taylor Fletcher = bstrd. If you think you're pissed El Pollo - check this out:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=18014

We actually paid hard cash for the geezer (apparently the hottest property in non league football) and what did he do for us? f-all! 2 measly goals in 2 years before really taking the piss by doing this:

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=417282

Lee Steele and Andy Scott are on their day, best players in the league but our gaffer took a gamble because they were injury prone. Steelo delivered the goods before being injured for 2 months - a definite fans favourite - gees up the crowd, amazing technical ability and can finish. Andy Scott, shame hes gone now - he scored the best goals I have ever seen from any Orient player including the ones which took us top of the league for the first time in a decade. Very strange for Orient because we usually have the ability to ruin any promising footballers career.
Reply 27
We've had a good start (2nd in league) and I look forward to another home win against Coventry on saturday. :biggrin:
Come on you Blades!

Gem
Reply 28
We have had a pretty bad start :p: Only getting a draw against Crewe after being 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, and losing to Reading at home.

Hopefully though we can stay up again.
Reply 29
Seabiscuit
*halleluah chorus* A thread at last for the REAL football fan on TSR! I had this idea last week after the unbelievable lack of interest to the fact that LEYTON ORIENT WERE TOP OF LEAGUE 2 when I posted the good news in the UFF. They were more interested in whether Michael Essien would get a bloody first team place! Imagine the cheek!

Right lets get started. Gary Taylor Fletcher = bstrd. If you think you're pissed El Pollo - check this out:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=18014

We actually paid hard cash for the geezer (apparently the hottest property in non league football) and what did he do for us? f-all! 2 measly goals in 2 years before really taking the piss by doing this:

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=417282

Lee Steele and Andy Scott are on their day, best players in the league but our gaffer took a gamble because they were injury prone. Steelo delivered the goods before being injured for 2 months - a definite fans favourite - gees up the crowd, amazing technical ability and can finish. Andy Scott, shame hes gone now - he scored the best goals I have ever seen from any Orient player including the ones which took us top of the league for the first time in a decade. Very strange for Orient because we usually have the ability to ruin any promising footballers career.

We have had our fair share of non performers, David Hunt I think was one, Lockwood should be trying midfield instead do u think:questionm
Reply 30
Seabiscuit

Yeah they weren't interested in Oxford's unbeaten start to the season either :bawling: tossers....

Seabiscuit

Scotty found out he had a heart condition that meant he could have died at any time during his football career :eek: thats why he retired.

He was also the last player to score at the Manor Ground before we moved to the Kassam.

Steele was a good player at Oxford, but at the time we had 6 strikers of similar quality and none of them got any time to get established in the team, he scored some amazing goals in his time tho. Ironically we now only have 3 strikers in the whole squad...
Reply 31
Oziris
We have had a pretty bad start :p: Only getting a draw against Crewe after being 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, and losing to Reading at home.

Hopefully though we can stay up again.

Forgive me for being ignorant but who do you support?
Reply 32
Gexko

Yeah! WHO ARE YA WHO ARE YA WHO ARE YA?

AmyO
We have had our fair share of non performers, David Hunt I think was one, Lockwood should be trying midfield instead do u think

True Amy. Locky wants dropping, he's been past it for AGES now and we've got Aiden Palmer now who has been fantastic when he's played including on Tuesday against Luton (called up to England U19). Lockwood is only about good for taking penalty and his occasion super cross balls apart from that - lazy as bed.

Andy Scott was very close to death. I remember watching his last match and he was totally out of the game and I shouting at him to get involved a bit more but now I realise and I felt bad afterwards.

6 Strikers?! I would have gladly taken Tommy Mooney and Lee Steele as a strike partnership - didn't that work for you guys?

We will go up this season! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Seabiscuit
Yeah! WHO ARE YA WHO ARE YA WHO ARE YA?

True Amy. Locky wants dropping, he's been past it for AGES now and we've got Aiden Palmer now who has been fantastic when he's played including on Tuesday against Luton (called up to England U19). Lockwood is only about good for taking penalty and his occasion super cross balls apart from that - lazy as bed.

Andy Scott was very close to death. I remember watching his last match and he was totally out of the game and I shouting at him to get involved a bit more but now I realise and I felt bad afterwards.

6 Strikers?! I would have gladly taken Tommy Mooney and Lee Steele as a strike partnership - didn't that work for you guys?

We will go up this season! :biggrin:

We didnt have mooney that season, he was playing for swindon then (grrrrrr. moves from arch rivals and now has moved again to our local rivals wycombe :rolleyes: )

we had steele, scott, steve basham (still with us bless 'im), mark rawle, manny omyemini (something like that) jefferson louis (who was the biggest pile of crap ever) and 'the bear' julian alsop.

we usually had bash and alsop starting, though when alsop was on one of his many bans steele would usually partner bash. scotty was injured for the whole season after the third match, though he started as 1st choice striker. he was top scorer with 11 the season before.

of course, come the end of the season atkins betrayed us (though his miracle working stopped at new years when we went from top to 19th over the remaining half of the season neway) and went to bristol rovers, and graham rix came in and lost 9 out of his first 10 games (the other was 0-0) and then got rid of half the squad and bought all the portsmouth rejects he could find :smile:

he lasted 17 matches. then we got ramon diaz who bought the south american continent for us. he was crap too. now we have brian talbot who has brought in 5 players and let 10 or a dozen go....
Reply 34
Gexko

Brighton :smile:
Reply 35
Oziris
Brighton :smile:

When you moving stadiums?! Worst view last season I had was at Withdean. :rolleyes:

Gem
Reply 36
leedsblade
When you moving stadiums?! Worst view last season I had was at Withdean. :rolleyes:

Gem

When it gets approved, theres been so many attempts to get it, hopefully it will be approved soon.

I havent actually been to the Withdean :p:
Reply 37
El Pollo Diablo
Since anything outside of the Premiership gets overlooked in the Ultimate Football Thread, I thought I'd create one for all you non-Premiership followers - I know there's a lot of you out there.

Thats *******s man, i love learning more about lower league teams especially the championship sides and my closest team is Leyton Orient so I always want to talk about them, especially considering how well they have been doing so far this season
Reply 38
Oziris
When it gets approved, theres been so many attempts to get it, hopefully it will be approved soon.

I havent actually been to the Withdean :p:

Hope it gets approved ASAP then!

Gem
Reply 39
Problem is they're gonna destroy a load of countryside and wreck a beautiful village to build it....

Latest