The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies Unit 2 (BUSS2) Revision thread.

Scroll to see replies

Davott
Ok guys, you can see that there are loads of essays written that people want marked/helped with. This is impossible for me or anyone else to actually do in the time we have.
@Justincredible, I had marked one of yours so those improvements should really be across the board. As Christian has said, make sure you structure and paragraph your essays following the spec. Im going to write a post on that in a min...

I understand (& feel a bit selfish) ignore my essay on the other page & treat yourself to some revision/sleep :p: .
Thanks for all the help you have given me (and many others on this thread) :jumphug: & goodluck!
Reply 381
dime_piece
I keep forgeting things, has anyone got any useful mnemonics for BUSS2?

learn the product life cycle, 4 p's and boston matrix; you shouldn't need a catchy saying, they are quite straight forward.
Also, just imagine you are the person running the business... or relate it to something you do or you could do e.g selling sweets to your friends... if the quality is exceptional then you will be able to become a recognised brand, gain a high reputation...also adding value ; profit margin, this giving you more profit which gives you better cash flow...
or if the quality is not good enough then demand will fall- so you are not utilising all your capacity and your costs per unit increases.. leading to a deduction of profit and poor cash flow
Reply 382
Davott
Yes I am. I hope people bear in mind that my word is not some kind of god nor business teacher :P I am just a student in Yr 12 about to do the same exam, it's just that I happen to be reasonably good at business :P

Cool :biggrin:

You do seem to know your stuff though :yep:

Good luck with the exam tomorrow :smile:
Reply 383
dime_piece
I understand (& feel a bit selfish) ignore my essay on the other page & treat yourself to some revision/sleep :p: .
Thanks for all the help you have given me (and many others on this thread) :jumphug: & goodluck!

what was the essay? I can help you if you like?
Reply 384
How to structure an essay answer

Ok, this is how I like to do it and how it works for me, so it won't necessarily suit your style of writing :smile: just bear that in mind. Ok, each quotation is a new paragraph.

Define what the question is talking about for example in an organisational structure question you would start with defining what an organisational structure is! Nothing else needed here, just define and show your knowledge.

Give a positive/advantage. In an organisational structure question this may be that a smaller span of control gives workers more support in their jobs.

Analyse this point by using a logic chain (as mentioned analysis vs. evaluation) use phrases like "This would, therefore, leading to"

Start off with "however" and go on to give a negative/disadvantage such as saying "However, a smaller span of control stifles creativity which may lead to people getting demotivated as they would struggle to reach the higher levels of Maslows Hierarchy of needs."

Do the same as the previous paragraph but for a differen positive/negative.

This means you have 2 positives and 2 negatives. Even in a 10 mark question that asks about advantages, you must still give disadvantages and problems!

Evaluate the essay, be clear on what the business should do. Give the main reason why they should do it but also state why it isn't such a good idea. For example, I would suggest the business uses a small span of control because it means people will stay on the task that they are meant to be doing although the managers must be careful not to prevent creativity as that is vital in this business!

Don't forget, you can not evaluate anything wrongly, as long as you justify your decision!

DONT FORGET TO APPLY EVERYTHING TO THE CASE!!!! INSTEAD OF SAYING "The Business" INSTEAD SAY WHAT THE COMPANY IS E.G "The restaurant" AND QUOTE FACTS AND FIGURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iVapor
what was the essay? I can help you if you like?

Aww, thanks! Thats very kind of you :smile:

A firm of management consultants have advised Douglas Mc Leod to delayer and flatten the structure of his business. Discuss the factors that Douglas should think about before starting to delayer. (10 marks)

Delayering involves removing a level of the current business hierarchy. The level usually removed is the middle level which containing managers and supervisors. Before he begins to take the advice of the management consultants and delayer, Douglas should examine some factors and make a decision which is in the best interest of the business.

Douglas should first consider the size of his firm and whether it allows his firm to be competitive. Delayering his hierarchy will allow Doug to cut the size of his workforce. This will thus mean that he will cut his labour costs. A cut in costs will mean that each unit produced by Douglas will have a lower average (unit) cost although his fixed costs will be spread over the same number of units, reducing his fixed costs will allow each unit produced to have a lower average (unit cost). Lower costs will mean that profits are higher allowing Doug to charge lower prices and increase his profit margin, giving him the competitive advantage over his competitors and overall be more flexible.

The effect of this action on the product itself should be considered. Delayering could have an adverse effect on products produced by Douglas. Less staff may mean that a smaller amount of staff are trying to maintain the productivity, output and quality that many staff maintained. Productivity will suffer if the current staff are unable to produce the same units, also if there is a culture of absenteeism, absences have a greater effect on productivity and output level (especially if workers feel more stressed). Decreased productivity, output and quality will lead to customer feeling less satisfied and thus damaging the brand loyalty and reputation Doug’s firm has built as customers are likely to go to competitors.

Flattening his structure too much will lead to short chain of command but wide span of control. By having a short chain of command, Douglas’ firm will have better communication and authority throughout the hierarchy also there will be less paper work. However a wide span of control will mean that superiors will be managing more sub-ordinates. This can be difficult for the firm to monitor their staff effectively which links back to quality mentioned above. Although it does allow the staff to have enhance roles and reduces that chance of staff feeling micro-managed which could lead to stress-related illnesses and demotivation.

Ultimately doug should assess the following factors and only make staff redundant if it will have no or very little adverse effects on the firm. It is important for Douglas to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and see it they allow the firm to achieve its objectives. If one of the firm’s objectives is to expand then this is pointless however if an objective is to improve the firms position in a perceptual map it may be worthwhile (as they can save money on labour costs and use it to develop their brand image).

Also thanks for the advice about trying to relate it (it make it easier).
Lastly, does anyone have any notes on the links between product life cycle & cash flow?
HIYA, PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE THE 2010 JANUARY PAPER THAT THEY CAN DIRECT ME TO PLEASE, MY MOCK GOT LOST AND I REALLY WANT TO PRACTICE QUESTIONS AND HAVE DONE THE AQA WEBSITE ONES IN CLASS. THANKS :smile:
dime_piece
Aww, thanks! Thats very kind of you :smile:

A firm of management consultants have advised Douglas Mc Leod to delayer and flatten the structure of his business. Discuss the factors that Douglas should think about before starting to delayer. (10 marks)

Delayering involves removing a level of the current business hierarchy. The level usually removed is the middle level which containing managers and supervisors. Before he begins to take the advice of the management consultants and delayer, Douglas should examine some factors and make a decision which is in the best interest of the business.

Douglas should first consider the size of his firm and whether it allows his firm to be competitive. Delayering his hierarchy will allow Doug to cut the size of his workforce. This will thus mean that he will cut his labour costs. A cut in costs will mean that each unit produced by Douglas will have a lower average (unit) cost although his fixed costs will be spread over the same number of units, reducing his fixed costs will allow each unit produced to have a lower average (unit cost). Lower costs will mean that profits are higher allowing Doug to charge lower prices and increase his profit margin, giving him the competitive advantage over his competitors and overall be more flexible.

The effect of this action on the product itself should be considered. Delayering could have an adverse effect on products produced by Douglas. Less staff may mean that a smaller amount of staff are trying to maintain the productivity, output and quality that many staff maintained. Productivity will suffer if the current staff are unable to produce the same units, also if there is a culture of absenteeism, absences have a greater effect on productivity and output level (especially if workers feel more stressed). Decreased productivity, output and quality will lead to customer feeling less satisfied and thus damaging the brand loyalty and reputation Doug’s firm has built as customers are likely to go to competitors.

Flattening his structure too much will lead to short chain of command but wide span of control. By having a short chain of command, Douglas’ firm will have better communication and authority throughout the hierarchy also there will be less paper work. However a wide span of control will mean that superiors will be managing more sub-ordinates. This can be difficult for the firm to monitor their staff effectively which links back to quality mentioned above. Although it does allow the staff to have enhance roles and reduces that chance of staff feeling micro-managed which could lead to stress-related illnesses and demotivation.

Ultimately doug should assess the following factors and only make staff redundant if it will have no or very little adverse effects on the firm. It is important for Douglas to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and see it they allow the firm to achieve its objectives. If one of the firm’s objectives is to expand then this is pointless however if an objective is to improve the firms position in a perceptual map it may be worthwhile (as they can save money on labour costs and use it to develop their brand image).

Also thanks for the advice about trying to relate it (it make it easier).
Lastly, does anyone have any notes on the links between product life cycle & cash flow?

Product life cycle R&D will have poor cash flow due to a lot being spent on innovation design etc, intoroduction it will improve but the business has to spend heavily on marketing to ensure everyone knows the product( this depends if its a niche market product or a mass market product) so cash flow will be in negative so firms have to forcaste this before hand to organise an overdraft facility, then maturity is when the product product is more recognised established in the market place people are familiar with the product so firms can charge higher prices as they wont be at full capacity anymore due to the growth phase ending so unit costs will increase. ( they have to always check elasticity of demand to see if this will have an affect on demand hence sales and therefore their cash inflow postion). The bsuiness will also have more competition with other firms who will enter the product and repeat purchases may be less espacially if product is durable to firms might still promote brand etc to differentiate and distinguish their product from competitors, therefore there is a possibility cash flow could come down slightly due to expenditure on promotion if there is heavy competition. Decline you will be in negative cash flow position product is lacking demand so sales are reduced cahs inflow is thereby reduced aswel. However, they may want to harvest the product ( squeeze out short term profits and sales), or divestment ( selling product to another firm )

Hope it helps half of it does not make sense grammar wise because ive rushed it sorry.
Reply 388
princessjuicy
HIYA, PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE THE 2010 JANUARY PAPER THAT THEY CAN DIRECT ME TO PLEASE, MY MOCK GOT LOST AND I REALLY WANT TO PRACTICE QUESTIONS AND HAVE DONE THE AQA WEBSITE ONES IN CLASS. THANKS :smile:

ahh can't believe i forgot about my own schools site when i've been looking for past papers..

go on this http://www.caldaybusiness.co.uk/ and then go to interactive resources... there is papers on there with mark schemes/podcasts and interactive resources... hope this helps
Reply 389
iVapor
x

I think I want to marry you.
Reply 390
i have!! for supplies i use pretty picky queens cant rage freeley, for price, payment terms, quality, capacity reliablilty and flexabltiy :smile: they are the things a business needs to consider when chosing a supplier
Reply 391
Magic Dust
I think I want to marry you.

haha can't believe i completely forgot about my owns school site when i've been looking for past papers!!! TIME TO CRAM!!!!
Reply 392
Good luck to everyone tomorrow (including myself :tongue:)
Reply 393
Can someone look at this paper please, and tell me how do i calculate net profit margin for first question, if they dont give me the revenue.

http://www.caldaybusiness.co.uk/paper1.pdf
Reply 394
swimmer i am doing this question aswell and i'm sure i actually took that exam as my paper last year... i honestly don't see how you can work it out, it baffles me completely. look at the mark scheme for the "importance of monitoring quality of customer service" too don't you think it seems wrong? :s-smilie: probably my teachers writing it up with mistakes in it :\ standard
Reply 395
One sec my thing takes ages to load, i checked the mark scheme for that net profit margin, and it gives the answer but doesnt show how it got it...and the second question i think they ask wats the revenue for 2007? wth lol...
iVapor

ahh can't believe i forgot about my own schools site when i've been looking for past papers..

go on this http://www.caldaybusiness.co.uk/ and then go to interactive resources... there is papers on there with mark schemes/podcasts and interactive resources... hope this helps

Thanks your a * :smile:
Reply 397
How many marks in AS/A2 business do you think i would need to get to get a D overall. Obviously i am aiming higher but need a D in this and D in sociology to get into uni. Thank god i already have 4 seperate AS levels.
Reply 398
A D is about 30-40% isn't it?? So if you just work that.. You'll easily get a D though if you've done any revision
Reply 399
I am sorry but I can't respond to anyone I am really stressing and I need to go to bed. Good luck guy's, you'll all be great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending