The Student Room Group

One foundation too dark. The next down is too light!!!

My skin tone is essentially like this:

I found the perfect foundation for my skin (anti blemish, liquid, easy to put on) but I can't find the right colour :frown:

One makes me look like I am trying to whiten my skin. So obviously thats a no.
The next shade up makes me look like I've just been tanning.

Is it okay for me to like like I've just gone tanning? When I'm already tanned? :colondollar:

Also, is it normal for it to be able to tell that you've got make up on?

I am brand new to make up. I never "did" make up. It wasnt really my thing. But hey....a girls gotta do....

Scroll to see replies

Why not try mixing the two together and see if its a better match :smile:
Laurah5498
Why not try mixing the two together and see if its a better match :smile:

I was thinking that but I only have samples right now...and should that work, I would have to buy both foundations at £20 each :frown:
Go find another one tbh, different brand.
I've got the problem that they don't do one pale enough :tongue:
Reply 4
The best make-up is when you can't tell you've got it on, imo.

Seems you'll either have to shell out to mix the two, or try a different brand. Which brand is the one you've found, OP?
Louise_x
The best make-up is when you can't tell you've got it on, imo.

Seems you'll either have to shell out to mix the two, or try a different brand. Which brand is the one you've found, OP?

Clinique, it actually helps get rid of acne or at least keep it from coming (in my experience). :frown: Do you know any other anti-acne ones lol?

Wait...maybe i put too much on....
Reply 6
If you dont need super amazing coverage (ie. have loadsa of acne to cover etc.) then try mixing the darker one with moisturiser and it makes it abit lighter (but also gives you lighter coverage).
To be honest though, if you manage to mix the two foundations into a perfect colour and this is your perfect foundation, then I would totally buy the two foundations, even at £20 each.

It's taken me YEARS to find my perfect one, though I'm lucky as it's Bourjois's 10hr sleep effect which is only £7.99 - a damn sight cheaper than all the MAC/dior/chanel/laura mercier/Shu Umera/Stila/EVERYTHING i've tried.
Reply 7
Oh yeah, Clinique is good, but very expensive. I'm no expert in foundation (I rarely use it, my skin is too pale lol) but you don't want it caked on. You could try using a little less, it'll give a little shade to it, but you don't have to switch from a decent brand. Just don't shovel it on, whatever you do :lol:
There is no such thing as 'too light' a foundation in my opinion. :smile:
Reply 9
Try mixing them together, if it works it is worth it.

If you have any friends with the same skin colour ask them what they use.

Try different brands, you'll find something eventually.
aprilterri
Yes it is very annoying. Big brands don't really cater for black and asian skin tones.
Try MAC, maybelline dream matte mousse, bobbi brown, mary kay sleek, although i think revlon may have a colour that suits you.
dream matte mousse is the cheapest by the way and they have a liquid form as well.

But are they anti-acne?
Heather with the Weather
There is no such thing as 'too light' a foundation in my opinion. :smile:

What? Yes, there is......
balface
If you dont need super amazing coverage (ie. have loadsa of acne to cover etc.) then try mixing the darker one with moisturiser and it makes it abit lighter (but also gives you lighter coverage).
To be honest though, if you manage to mix the two foundations into a perfect colour and this is your perfect foundation, then I would totally buy the two foundations, even at £20 each.

It's taken me YEARS to find my perfect one, though I'm lucky as it's Bourjois's 10hr sleep effect which is only £7.99 - a damn sight cheaper than all the MAC/dior/chanel/laura mercier/Shu Umera/Stila/EVERYTHING i've tried.

Yeah, maybe I'll have to go searching a little more. I know I sound fussy, but I love this one as it really prevents my blemishes. I don't have major acne but it's there :shifty: But then again, maybe I should learn how to apply the foundation properly before beginning a loooooong search :biggrin:
The TSR Star.
What? Yes, there is......

Maybe try mixing them together?
Reply 14
as long as you don't shovel on make up, if you buy both and mix it together, you'll be saving money in the long run because you'll have double the amount of foundation and you'll be able to use exactly the right amount to match your skintone. Plus, when you tan in summer or go paler in winter, you'll already have the foundation to match. Sorted. Win-win.
Reply 15
Dijobla
as long as you don't shovel on make up, if you buy both and mix it together, you'll be saving money in the long run because you'll have double the amount of foundation and you'll be able to use exactly the right amount to match your skintone. Plus, when you tan in summer or go paler in winter, you'll already have the foundation to match. Sorted. Win-win.

This! OP get them both and mix :smile:
how about asking one of the ladies at the clinique stand? There usually really helpful and will show you how to put the make up on properly if your unsure, and find the best match for you.....then you can decide if its too dark/light. :smile:
Reply 17
The TSR Star.
Yeah, maybe I'll have to go searching a little more. I know I sound fussy, but I love this one as it really prevents my blemishes. I don't have major acne but it's there :shifty: But then again, maybe I should learn how to apply the foundation properly before beginning a loooooong search :biggrin:

What one is it that you have you found that is amazing?
I have majorly blemish prone skin, as in if I eat something oily/fatty, it'll pop up on my skin in the form of a spot.
the Bourjois one doesn't make me break out at all and I've been using it for a few weeks.
I wouldn't advise MAC foundations as they make alot of people break out, but mayb try Bobbi Brown as they cater for loadsa skintones and as far as I know, aren't super well known for breaking people out.
I have the same problem :frown:,
but try using MAC, it'll look great on
your skin tone x
balface
What one is it that you have you found that is amazing?
I have majorly blemish prone skin, as in if I eat something oily/fatty, it'll pop up on my skin in the form of a spot.
the Bourjois one doesn't make me break out at all and I've been using it for a few weeks.
I wouldn't advise MAC foundations as they make alot of people break out, but mayb try Bobbi Brown as they cater for loadsa skintones and as far as I know, aren't super well known for breaking people out.

Clinique Anti Blemish foundation :smile:

Latest