The Student Room Group
Mann Whitney U, i believe!

what are you doing your coursework aboout? i am doing mine on stress and illness!
Reply 2
You can only use a Mann-Whitney-U with independent samples - you're better off running a Sign Test. Clicky Here for a site that'll run the test for you.
Reply 3
shopaholic_soph
Mann Whitney U, i believe!

what are you doing your coursework aboout? i am doing mine on stress and illness!

Mine's on memory
Reply 4
i did the memory c/w on the levels of processing and i used the wilcoxen ranks stat test!!
Reply 5
tana
i did the memory c/w on the levels of processing and i used the wilcoxen ranks stat test!!

A Wilcoxen would be appropriate, a sign test is just less sophisticated (and thus easier!)
Reply 6
Sorry to but in- I was just about to open a similar post. I'm doing my c/w and trying to figure out my Wilcoxon test values. I've got all my data on excel, ranked and the result is that the positive ranks = 478. The negative ranks = o (as there were none) so I reckon T= 0. I had a sample size of 30 and now I'm stuck! I'm trying to use the table but with T=0 I don't know what I'm looking for!!!
Reply 7
what was your value of N?

(to calculate, count the number of pairs of data, ignoring any which had a difference of 0).
Reply 8
N=30
Reply 9
at N=30, T does not exceed the critical values and is therefore the difference is significant

For a one-tailed test: does not exceed critical value of 120, therefore significant at .01 level

For a two-tailed test: does not exceed critical value of 109, therefore significant at .01 level

Incidently, I am badly hungover and may have messed this up - try here for an online calculator
Reply 10
Thanks, I couldn't get the link to work I'm afraid and I've totally confused myself.

I know that my T+ value + 478 and my T- value = 0.

Therefore my smallest number is 0 which means that T=0.

There were 30 people in my test; none of them got the same answer, or a faster time onthe second condition- which is why I got 0 and not some small or minus number.

Using the table I found n=30, then went accross to the smallest number on that row for T (is less that or equal to) which was 86. Then I looked up and found for a one tailed I got 0.001 and for two tailed I got 0.002.

Now I don't know what to do? If I say that is right then what next?

What is the critical value? The level of significance or the required level of significance?!
Reply 11
Sounds like you've done it right, you've just got a more sensitive table of significances than me. "critical value" just means the value that T cannot exceed in the table of significance.

Latest

Trending

Trending