The Student Room Group
Reply 1
put it this way:

i have no science alevels and a only a C at GCSE science and i was accepted for 4 biomed degrees with a foundation year this year so i would say it is not competitive at all. also only two of thoes unis interviewed me, so 2 unis took me just based on my application.
depends on what uni's you are looking at, if you looking at you BBB uni's and above yes it will be, i think queen marys has about 100 places and get a hell of alot more than that applying ok given some will have it as a backup for medicine
Reply 3
I'd say the IBMS accredited courses are less competitive than the non-accredited ones. :smile:
Reply 4
anon2010
put it this way:

i have no science alevels and a only a C at GCSE science and i was accepted for 4 biomed degrees with a foundation year this year so i would say it is not competitive at all. also only two of thoes unis interviewed me, so 2 unis took me just based on my application.

That doesn't mean it's not competitive.
The fact that you had no science alevels was why you got onto the foundation year. :p:
But yes, overall, biomedical science is not competitive to get into.
I'd say Sheffield, Manchester and Kings are probably the competitive ones (along with a few others). :smile:
Reply 5
Biomedical science at Warwick and QM have been in clearing, both require fairly good grades. I'd say it's only really competitive at the top unis though, such as Imperial which requires you to take the BMAT.
Reply 6
Seemingly full of failed medicine applicants.
Reply 7
xSkyFire
Biomedical science at Warwick and QM have been in clearing, both require fairly good grades. I'd say it's only really competitive at the top unis though, such as Imperial which requires you to take the BMAT.

Which fool would take the BMAT just for one biomedical science choice? I wouldn't bother, and would apply elsewhere to top places like UCL, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Kings, Oxford, Durham, Warwick etc. Imperial isn't even that great for Biomedical Science, I know someone there and they said the students don't really have the opportunity to make the most of its research reputation.
Reply 8
BMS as a degree isn't competitive really.

Biomedical & clinical science as a job on the other hand is extremely competitive. 80+ applicants per post. So the competition is there, but it's after the degree rather than before.
Reply 9
JaanLeva
Which fool would take the BMAT just for one biomedical science choice? I wouldn't bother, and would apply elsewhere to top places like UCL, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Kings, Oxford, Durham, Warwick etc. Imperial isn't even that great for Biomedical Science, I know someone there and they said the students don't really have the opportunity to make the most of its research reputation.

I know, the people who applied had taken the BMAT for medicine and just used it as a 5th choice lol.
Reply 10
Svenjamin
BMS as a degree isn't competitive really.

Biomedical & clinical science as a job on the other hand... extremely competitive. 80+ applicants per post. So the competition is there, but it's after the degree rather than before.

Is that for NHS lab work?
JaanLeva
Is that for NHS lab work?

Yeah, the NHS are the only company to train unfortunately (as far as I'm aware at least). Once trained there are various jobs in the private sector though.

On the plus side, clinical science is pretty well paid compared to research, offers a secure career with good prospects, and is seen as more of a 9 to 5 job than research (although overtime is still necessary).
Wardy23
Seemingly full of failed medicine applicants.

oh my lol

Latest

Trending

Trending