The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

catrinaribena
Is this true? Cuz I always do that and I'm pretty alright in general at intros and conclusions yet I have a teacher who never gives me more than 2 or 3 for structure. She goes through like every word of the intros, conclusions, topic sentences etc and is sooo picky about it. I didn't think it was just as simple as that ^ :/

My teacher is picky too- we spent HOURS on introductions, and a while on conclusions. We're told to get structure marks, you need a good intro with debate, signposting, relevant context and any key terms defined. Then 4 to 6 paragraphs and finally a conclusion which contains the same debate as your introduction and sums up your key points, finally answering the question.

And she says we need to miss a line between paragraphs and indent.

But I doubt you'd be penalised if you didn't do that :smile:
Reply 281
I NEED HELP!!
quote me :smile:

right, there's no way i've got an A for history, maybe a mid B, i've been studying history ALOT cause i want to do it at uni after summer next year, i just ran out of time in Paper 1.
Will it affect the university's decision on whether to accept me if i decide to resit history in 6th year?
I just want to get the best mark possible, i know the course back to front - i love history - but i'm a slow writer and the exams affect me badly, time wise!

any help would be appreciated, im in a bit of a mess here!

xx:smile: :eek:
HELP

Did anyone do the obstacles unification 1815-50 Germany question in Paper 1?

If so what did you write?

I made the whole thing up, I'd like to know if some of it was vaguely on the right lines :frown:
donnnax
I NEED HELP!!

right, there's no way i've got an A for history, maybe a mid B, i've been studying history ALOT cause i want to do it at uni after summer next year, i just ran out of time in Paper 1.
Will it affect the university's decision on whether to accept me if i decide to resit history in 6th year?
I just want to get the best mark possible, i know the course back to front - i love history - but i'm a slow writer and the exams affect me badly, time wise!

Hey Donna. To study history at university it's actually not common at all to even need Higher History, so don't worry about an average history grade affecting your chances (a B isn't all that 'average' anyway :wink:). It's Higher English that'll help you the most with getting into courses like history.
donnnax
I NEED HELP!!

Don't worry I crashed History this year and I am also doing English this year and I got 3 or 4 offers including history :smile: The other offer was for Journalism. I really enjoy History but it is overwhelming and I hate the time limits in exams.
I am going to Edinburgh to study History, although i need a B atleast for History. Donna dont worry not all uni's want history to study it, i got accepted in other uni's without history and Dan same time is always a issue for me aswell :frown:.
Reply 286
Hi, i did the history exam today. We do option c at my school and was really hoping for a good rise of hitler question but it never came up :frown: democracy was good though:biggrin: can anyone tell me if i did the nazi one right? i wrote that propaganda was important, then how the achievment was also important. I then went on to mention lots of other factors why the nazis stayed in power e.g. gestapo hitler youth enabling act... would be grateful for a reply tonight.Some people said you were only meant to discuss propaganda and achievment
dsandi83
Hi, i did the history exam today. We do option c at my school and was really hoping for a good rise of hitler question but it never came up :frown: democracy was good though:biggrin: can anyone tell me if i did the nazi one right? i wrote that propaganda was important, then how the achievment was also important. I then went on to mention lots of other factors why the nazis stayed in power e.g. gestapo hitler youth enabling act... would be grateful for a reply tonight.Some people said you were only meant to discuss propaganda and achievment

I did the same :smile: I don't think it would be a very well developed essay if you only did propaganda and achievements. I went on to say that other factors contributed such as the Enabling Act and the Gestapo etc and finally concluded that the ability of the Nazis to maintain their authority was due to a combination of factors and that prooaganda could not be considered more important, therefore the view was innacurate. I hope we're right :biggrin:
Reply 288
catrinaribena
HELP

Did anyone do the obstacles unification 1815-50 Germany question in Paper 1?

If so what did you write?

I made the whole thing up, I'd like to know if some of it was vaguely on the right lines :frown:

Meeeee!

- Religious differences.
- Crushing of Burschenschaften (Carlsbad Decrees)
- Opposition from the 39 state leaders
- Rivarly between Prussia/Austria
- Defining what Germany would be Klein/Gross
- Opposition from other European countries.

Think that was it (:
donnnax

was hoping for an A, but i have no idea what i've got for extended response & i messed up my second essay in paper 1, slow writer!

x

same here !! don't know my extended essay either. i had like 15 minutes to write my last essay !!! :s-smilie: :eek3: :eek: :frown: im so worried now, no ideaa how paper 2 went at all... but if my 2nd essay was longer, there would be some hope.
Reply 290
eilidhx
Meeeee!

- Religious differences.

Think that was it (:

Me toooooo. Also, domminance of Metternich, bund, failure of Frankfurt parliament, indecisiveness of prussian king, and the olmutz agreement
eilidhx
Meeeee!

- Religious differences.

Think that was it (:

I did religious differences but I forgot which states were which so I just said some were Protestant and some were Catholic and pointed out that Protestants and Catholics don't get on :P

Then I talked about opposition from the leaders and princes and I think I mentioned the Karlsbad Decrees there as well.

Talked a bit about rivalry between Prussia and Austra.

Talked about how the 48 Revolution failed as the Prussian prince (?) refused the crown.

Aaaand I think I spraffed on a wee bit about how at first nationalism was only really amongst the middle and upper classes as they were more educated, but that was more in reference to cultural nationalism :/

Do you think I'll get some credit for that? My conclusion was rubbish though, like 2 sentences cuz I ran out of time :frown:
Blu3j4yw4y
Our teacher said the intro is marked out of two, the conclusion is marked out of two, and marks were taken off this if you didn't divide into a reasonable number of paragraphs. We never did anything more complicated than that.

I'm wondering if maybe its cause we did 20 mark essays in Int 2 - perhaps we already knew how to format them so he didn't bother going over it? Did you guys do SG? If so, do you do essays of comparable length in SG?

If not, I'm stumped :s-smilie:

No in SG, the essays are only marked out of 8 and really are not essays to be honest lol.
Did anyone do the question about propaganda and solid achievement for the Fascists in the Italy topic (Option C) , if so what arguments did you do? I wrote a load of rubbish, did not have a clue :frown: :frown: A reply would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 294
catrinaribena
I did religious differences but I forgot which states were which so I just said some were Protestant and some were Catholic and pointed out that Protestants and Catholics don't get on :P

Then I talked about opposition from the leaders and princes and I think I mentioned the Karlsbad Decrees there as well.

Talked a bit about rivalry between Prussia and Austra.

Talked about how the 48 Revolution failed as the Prussian prince (?) refused the crown.

Aaaand I think I spraffed on a wee bit about how at first nationalism was only really amongst the middle and upper classes as they were more educated, but that was more in reference to cultural nationalism :/

Do you think I'll get some credit for that? My conclusion was rubbish though, like 2 sentences cuz I ran out of time :frown:

Sounds quite good to me - don't stress about it. :smile:
mellow_yellow
Aw that is rubbish :frown: how are you feeling about accounts? A lot of people in my school dropped it. Those exams are really close to history as well, I hope they go well for you :smile:

Just came across this. I had a similar thing in S6 when History and Accounts had a gap of around 30 minutes between them. Didn't stop me doing extremely well in Accounting, but still...

How many in your school carried it out? We started out with around 20 Higher Exam People, and by June it was cut down to only 3 (the 4th gave up on the day).

Latest

Trending

Trending