The Student Room Group

Cambridge Senior Physics Challenge 2010

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sy_1
wait... soo there are over 70 BMO medalists at your school?? that's craaaazy stuff...!
i'm going to apply for physics or nat sci, I've been looking at Oxford physics (:hmmmm: and also various places within london. You?

Hahaa no! I mean there are more than 70 all-round and I'm sure that most of them have considered the SPC. I'm looking at Oxford Physics cause I'd hate the NatSci first year and the PAT looks like something you can actually prepare for :smile: If it doesn't work out with Oxf, its probably Warwick MMathPhys or MMath for me :biggrin:
Have you got any idea how you're going to prepare before the interview? ie books, past papers etc...

Original post by mastermind_107
Oxford Physics looks interesting, but idk how mathematical it is.. I may end up going for Maths with Physics at Cambridge. NatSci isn't mathematical enough for meee :cool:

Oxford Physics (i've heard at least :P) is very mathematical. To such an extent that you can fail your Physics interview and still get in based on your Maths interview preformance. And a good chunk of lectures in the first year are mathematical. If you like STEP and think you'd be able to consistently get 1,1 on the papers leading up to the real thing, I'd go for Cambridge. They give much more offers and the STEP preparation would be much more beneficial than melting at school & awaiting A*AA to go to Oxford.
Original post by itzRussian
Hahaa no! I mean there are more than 70 all-round and I'm sure that most of them have considered the SPC. I'm looking at Oxford Physics cause I'd hate the NatSci first year and the PAT looks like something you can actually prepare for :smile: If it doesn't work out with Oxf, its probably Warwick MMathPhys or MMath for me :biggrin:
Have you got any idea how you're going to prepare before the interview? ie books, past papers etc...

I know a couple of people who did well on BMO1 but they weren't allowed to apply to the SPC because my Head of Physics wanted potential Physics applicants to have priority (then it was Engineers and then Mathematicians.)

If you're considering Oxford Physics, you do know that if you get into the SPC, you can't go to either of the Oxford Uni Open Days? :tongue:
If you're considering Oxford Physics, you do know that if you get into the SPC, you can't go to either of the Oxford Uni Open Days? :tongue:

Reallly? :eek: cheers for the heads up, if I don't get into UNIQ but manage to get into SPC i'll just have to visit in september I guess.
Original post by itzRussian
Reallly? :eek: cheers for the heads up, if I don't get into UNIQ but manage to get into SPC i'll just have to visit in september I guess.

UNIQ annoys me because it's only for state school applicants :mad:

I don't wanna go in September - by that time, my Personal Statement and UCAS Choices have to be in so it's a bit late if I'm yet to make my mind up :tongue:

Sooo I'm trying to arrange to meet a current undergraduate/Physics tutor at an Oxford College some time in May. :smile:
Reply 44

UNIQ annoys me because it's only for state school applicants :mad:

I don't wanna go in September - by that time, my Personal Statement and UCAS Choices have to be in so it's a bit late if I'm yet to make my mind up :tongue:

Sooo I'm trying to arrange to meet a current undergraduate/Physics tutor at an Oxford College some time in May. :smile:

yeah that's my problem - there are nowhere near as many courses for private school as there are for state school... i'm hoping to visit oxford sooon.. i've been to different bits of the town for a few hours but i just want to look round the colleges etc :smile:
Original post by sy_1
yeah that's my problem - there are nowhere near as many courses for private school as there are for state school... i'm hoping to visit oxford sooon.. i've been to different bits of the town for a few hours but i just want to look round the colleges etc :smile:

Back on the SPC Front, I did the test and got 22/23 :biggrin:

Soo hopefully I'll be accepted come mid-May!
Reply 46
Back on the SPC Front, I did the test and got 22/23 :biggrin:

Soo hopefully I'll be accepted come mid-May!

Well done!! agggh still haven't got round to asking my teacher, but i go back to school tomorrow so I'll try and find him then! pretty nervous about it all!!
Gonna do the "maths test" tomorrow :smile:, by the way, do you have to do the whole thing in an exact time limit?

And also, those applying to UNIQ as well, don't these two clash or something? (tbh, I applied for UNIQ as well but I think I'm too "well off" to get in - no EMA, etc...)
Original post by sy_1
Well done!! agggh still haven't got round to asking my teacher, but i go back to school tomorrow so I'll try and find him then! pretty nervous about it all!!

I know.. it's all so competitive!

How did you do? :biggrin:
Reply 49

I know.. it's all so competitive!

How did you do? :biggrin:

couldn't find him...... aghhh this is driving me craaaaaaazy!
Reply 50
I got 17 :/ oh deaar
Original post by sy_1
I got 17 :/ oh deaar

That's not a total disaster!

If you've done well on the various Maths Challenges and/or Physics Challenges, it should balance everything out. :smile:

The two people from my school who were nominated last year didn't get accepted because of mediocore GCSE results, rather than anything else.
Reply 52

That's not a total disaster!

If you've done well on the various Maths Challenges and/or Physics Challenges, it should balance everything out. :smile:

The two people from my school who were nominated last year didn't get accepted because of mediocore GCSE results, rather than anything else.

it's pretty disastrous though...aggghhhh well i hope i get a place! only about a month left to go! doing the test when i was knackered from travelling was a mistake...
Original post by sy_1
it's pretty disastrous though...aggghhhh well i hope i get a place! only about a month left to go! doing the test when i was knackered from travelling was a mistake...

This is true. Ah well, hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Yep, 1 month to goo.. ahh nervous! :biggrin:
Reply 54

This is true. Ah well, hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Yep, 1 month to goo.. ahh nervous! :biggrin:

hahah well the good thing is that we can't do anything else now, so i can't muck up again. aghh yes, nervous indeeeed...and they choose to tell you just before exam time, couldn't be more off putting!
Original post by sy_1
hahah well the good thing is that we can't do anything else now, so i can't muck up again. aghh yes, nervous indeeeed...and they choose to tell you just before exam time, couldn't be more off putting!

The time is almost upon us! :excited:
Reply 56

The time is almost upon us! :excited:

AGHHH this weekend this weekend!!! i'm not sure i'll be able to focus on revision.....
Original post by sy_1
AGHHH this weekend this weekend!!! i'm not sure i'll be able to focus on revision.....

No news as of yet... I hate this waiting game :frown:
Reply 58

No news as of yet... I hate this waiting game :frown:

it's terrible .. i looked back in the thread and the 12th of may last year was something like a wednesday.. WHY DO WE STILL NOT KNOW?!?!?!!
Original post by sy_1
it's terrible .. i looked back in the thread and the 12th of may last year was something like a wednesday.. WHY DO WE STILL NOT KNOW?!?!?!!

It has to be this week then! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending