The Student Room Group

Hitler Biography

Hey,so i could be posting in the wrong section here, so sorry guys!
Currently reading a Biography of Adolf Hitler at the moment, "Hitler an Illustrated Life"-Robin Cross, and due to it being my first biography I have read on him,I was wondering if anyone else has either?
I wanted to know if the biographer was reliable (as i have nothing to compare with except only the knowledge i know and the fact i havn't read anything else on him makes me wary before i start making lots of opinions).
Does he give an accurate account of the runup to Hitler's leadership in Germany?
Is they any other good biographies on Hitler which i could try?
Thank you!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're looking for the best biography, try Mein Kampf, much more accurate than the Jewish tripe you're probably reading. Contains some very sophisticated and enthralling concepts as well.
Reply 2
Ahh I was going to read Mein Kampf but I heard it is not the best written book in the world.
Still, it may help me with my studies and give me more insight into the man himself!
Reply 3
Ian Kershaw's is about the best. Two volumes, but I think it's been reissued as one recently (possibly abridged, around 1000 pages). I'm not sure about the one you're reading at the moment, sorry.

EDIT: the one you're reading at the moment has a positive quote from Richard Overy on the cover, so I imagine it'd give a serviceable overview.
Reply 4
Zoetrope
Ian Kershaw's is about the best. Two volumes, but I think it's been reissued as one recently (possibly abridged, around 1000 pages). I'm not sure about the one you're reading at the moment, sorry.

EDIT: the one you're reading at the moment has a positive quote from Richard Overy on the cover, so I imagine it'd give a serviceable overview.

Cool cheers!, I'll also give Ian Kershaw a go too as I have heard of him:smile:
Reply 5
"The Last Days of Hitler" by Hugh Trevor-Roper is probably one of the best known reports of the last days of Hitler's life, so that's definitely worth reading if you are studying Hitler as part of an history course.
Ian Kershaw is really good :smile: but takes FOREVER!
Reply 7
peer-i
"The Last Days of Hitler" by Hugh Trevor-Roper is probably one of the best known reports of the last days of Hitler's life, so that's definitely worth reading if you are studying Hitler as part of an history course.

Awesome, thank you! Looks like a good look on Amazon is needed!
Reply 8
I've read one by Allan Prior. It's written like a novel, instead of a biography (despite being a biography), so it's kinda light to read. I've read it three or four times... but translated into Spanish, though.
It scares a bit when you see the book, because you may think it's so long and it'll take ages, but once you start, is kinda quick to read.

I also have Mein Kampf (Indian edition, though, I don't understand a **** of it) and another biography by Marlis Steinert, but I strongly recommend the Allan Prior's one.

Good luck.

Edit: Here it is, on Amazon.
Reply 9
I don't know wether it was translated but besides Kershaw, "Hitler- a biography" by Joachim C. Fest is very famous in Germany.
"Mein Kampf" (Interestingly the uncommented version is forbidden in Germany) will tell you a lot about Hitlers character and intentions but not so much about his biography. Furthermore it is written in a excursive and difficult way probably the reason many people didn't read it.
Give Mein Kampf a read, after all, it was written by the **** himself.
Reply 11
Hitler's Table Talk is the most comprehensible book if you're wishing to endeavour into a piece of literature conveying Hitler's views in an unbiased fashion. Mein Kampf, as has been previously suggested on this thread, is quite frankly, abhorrent and distorted; vast quantities of it were not even written by Hitler himself.

It's enlightening to see a British youth in search of reliable, impartial information on Adolf Hitler, as both the media and education system indoctrinate the young'uns of this country at a conceivably infantile age, into being slobbering, unpatriotic, politically correct dolts who, for the most part, believe everything they are told if it's from the mouth of a higher authority.
Reply 12
SergioMZ
I've read one by Allan Prior. It's written like a novel, instead of a biography (despite being a biography), so it's kinda light to read. I've read it three or four times... but translated into Spanish, though.
It scares a bit when you see the book, because you may think it's so long and it'll take ages, but once you start, is kinda quick to read.

I also have Mein Kampf (Indian edition, though, I don't understand a **** of it) and another biography by Marlis Steinert, but I strongly recommend the Allan Prior's one.

Good luck.

Edit: Here it is, on Amazon.

Hey thanks for the link to the book! i'll write that one down on my list of them too:smile:!
Reply 13
Joely B
Hitler's Table Talk is the most comprehensible book if you're wishing to endeavour into a piece of literature conveying Hitler's views in an unbiased fashion. Mein Kampf, as has been previously suggested on this thread, is quite frankly, abhorrent and distorted; vast quantities of it were not even written by Hitler himself

I have heard Mein Kampf is poorly written by historians,teachers and people i know who have read it but unfortuantly,I best subject myself to it and get a better knowledge on what was going on inside his head. Thanks for the suggestion of "Hitlers Table Talk"! I think I have a lot of reading to do...

Joely B
It's enlightening to see a British youth in search of reliable, impartial information on Adolf Hitler, as both the media and education system indoctrinate the young'uns of this country at a conceivably infantile age, into being slobbering, unpatriotic, politically correct dolts who, for the most part, believe everything they are told if it's from the mouth of a higher authority.

Indeed, the rubbish some teachers tell you isn't even always fact! Just their opinion with the course knowledge chucked in to be on the safe side! So that's why am going to read up and then give opinions from the sources I have looked into myself :smile:!
Reply 14
Qoph
I don't know wether it was translated but besides Kershaw, "Hitler- a biography" by Joachim C. Fest is very famous in Germany.
"Mein Kampf" (Interestingly the uncommented version is forbidden in Germany) will tell you a lot about Hitlers character and intentions but not so much about his biography. Furthermore it is written in a excursive and difficult way probably the reason many people didn't read it.

So am taking it the biography is from a German point of view?
Hmm,that may be beneficial if i can get a translated copy.Thank you i'll have a look:smile:
Kershaw's the daddy.
Reply 16
Mr Thinhead
If you're looking for the best biography, try Mein Kampf, much more accurate than the Jewish tripe you're probably reading. Contains some very sophisticated and enthralling concepts as well.

Pretentious twot. Mein Kampf is practically unreadable.
Reply 17
Mein kampfy chair is the best place to look.
Reply 18
Definitely read Mein Kampf, at least certain chapters relevant to your study. :yy:

Otherwise, the more modern books by Kershaw are the best. You can ignore everything else until you've gotten through Kershaw for sure. 'The Hitler Myth' extensively covers Hitler's leadership (and rise to power) over the Reich, and is brilliantly written. He really brings life in Nazi Germany to life. :smile:
Reply 19
Rainbows!
So am taking it the biography is from a German point of view?
Hmm,that may be beneficial if i can get a translated copy.Thank you i'll have a look:smile:

It has about 1300 pages but Ian Kershaw's biography isn't much shorter. Maybe I should emphasize that it's more an analysis of Hitler's psyche i.e. it's not ordered by dates but by issues.
Therefore it depend's on whether you would like to know more about Hitlers personality (Fest) or the historical backgrounds and social currents (Keshaw). In general of course the authors cover both issues.
Another famous German historian is Sebastian Haffner but again I don't know whether his books are translated or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending