The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish writing...

... is next week :woo: I was just wondering if anyone had any useful phrases to push up the marks in the exam. Also, would someone kindly explain the subjunctive?:smile: I know it's really for AS, but my teacher said it's useful to get in there. Or just general phrases in the subjunctive? I've got 'Cuando sea mayor' and 'Cuando vaya' but that's about it. Finalllyyy, does anyone know what sort of marks we should be getting in the writing for an A*? I'm doing EDEXCEL, if that helps...
Thank you in advance! :h:
Reply 1
A good one to learn is Ojalo fuera - I wish it were
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I found "Cuando era mas joven" pretty useful.
A subjunctive phrase I always use is 'dudo que sea posible'. I won't bother actually learning about the subjunctive at GCSE... Simply remembering a phrase is enough.
Try and get an idiom or two in there as well. Eg. 'meter la pata' is to put your foot in it, and 'me pone la carne de gallina' is it gives me the goosebumps (though there are variations of this one).
Try to use as many verb tenses as possible is always good.
And the conditional... 'Sería mejor' is a nice, easy one to remember and fit in anywhere.
Good luck!
Reply 4
chipskylark
A subjunctive phrase I always use is 'dudo que sea posible'. I won't bother actually learning about the subjunctive at GCSE... Simply remembering a phrase is enough.
Try and get an idiom or two in there as well. Eg. 'meter la pata' is to put your foot in it, and 'me pone la carne de gallina' is it gives me the goosebumps (though there are variations of this one).
Try to use as many verb tenses as possible is always good.
And the conditional... 'Sería mejor' is a nice, easy one to remember and fit in anywhere.
Good luck!

thank you so much, that's really useful. Just wondering, when trying to get in the subjunctive, does this sentence make sense or am I talking rubbish?

Queria que hiciera mas frio, porque si hiciera tanto calor, iria a la playa mas...
sophiewhat1
thank you so much, that's really useful. Just wondering, when trying to get in the subjunctive, does this sentence make sense or am I talking rubbish?

Queria que hiciera mas frio, porque si hiciera tanto calor, iria a la playa mas...

The sentence is grammatically correct.
But it means 'I wanted it to be colder, because if it was as hot, I would go to the beach more.'
Is this what you want to say?
sophiewhat1

Exactly what not-another-number said ^^
:yep:
Reply 7
What happens if you go over the word limit in the writing exam? Is the bit where you went over not marked?

Latest

Trending

Trending