The Student Room Group

Luis Vuitton Bags

I'm thinking about getting my girlfriend a Louis Vuitton handbag and just before I buy it (I think its f***ing expensive, well for me anyway)

I just wondered what sort of a rep does a Louis Vuitton handbag have? I mean i like it, but is it footballers wives sort of purchase or chavvy?
(i know thats a bit snobbish but she's the exact opposite)

any info aprreciated, thanks
D_H1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it depends, whats it like? colour etc?
Reply 2
I don't like any of the Louis Vuitton bags I've seen. Some of them are downright ugly. They're just a status symbol so you could get her one if that's what she'd want.

Or...

You could spend the same amount of money and get her a nicer designer handbag.
Reply 3
Personally i hate them. I think they're actually really ugly, and it just screams fashion victim to me.
Reply 4
I had two but i got rid of them, as there are way too many fakes circulating. And there's nothing worse then the multicolour monogram ones, they look sooo cheap! I wouldn't bother with Vuitton until the 'chav factor' has worn off. And if you can't really afford it, then get a cheaper bag!
Reply 5
We-ell... it can be considered a bit chavvy, because LV tends to blast its label all over the bags, unlike others such as Tod's.

My advice would be not to get one of their monogramme colour bags, because those are the most brash. Go onto the website www.vuitton.com to see what they have... you can view each collection complete with annoying music. Some of the less loud bags are actually very classy and well done. I quite like the monogramme canvas collection.

On the other hand, if their slightly chavvy rep puts you off, then Mulberry do some great, classic stuff while miu miu are good for fun, bright bags. Check out net-a-porter.com for lots of ideas.
Reply 6
mate, ur just paying for the name!
But if thats what she wants... :wink:
Don't get it. With so many knockoffs around, the regular LV pattern has been severely tainted.
Reply 8
seen them way too many times, hate them.

i remember going to some turkish market, and you could buy 8 lv patterned bags of any size for £10. even suitcases.
Nicki P
mate, ur just paying for the name!
But if thats what she wants... :wink:

With a lot of designer things, you're also paying for superior materials and workmanship. :wink:
Reply 10
chewwy
seen them way too many times, hate them.

i remember going to some turkish market, and you could buy 8 lv patterned bags of any size for £10. even suitcases.

yeah exactly, they're over.
Reply 11
dazmanultra
With a lot of designer things, you're also paying for superior materials and workmanship. :wink:

*splutters*
Reply 12
id personally go into Jane Norman and spend £20 on a bag, i like to use a bag that goes with my outfit!! so i buy lots of cheaper ones!
Reply 13
GOOOOOD POINT!!!! ....
dazmanultra

:biggrin: :rolleyes: :smile: well yes there is that! lol :biggrin: :rolleyes: :smile:
Maybe get mulberry instead, not only are they classier but also more attractive in my opinion at least, Fendi is also classy and less copied. To avoid the 'footballers wife' look just make sure you don't see anything that has been copied in your local market!
Reply 15
dazmanultra

Fair enough, they do last for years and years and years. But i'd get a less conspicuous brand.
Reply 16
imo, a bag as a gift is a risky choice because there's a chance she won't like it. So, unless you're sure of the one she wants, don't get it...Or get her a nice black one because it'll go with everything.
Reply 17
or get her gift vouchers!? Always a winner!
Reply 18
I agree that Fendi bags are gorge but also so are the louis vuitton ones! U mite wana have a look at the new chloe bags aswell. She will love them! Its better spendin money on a good well made bag that will last than a crappy one she will have to replace in a month!
Reply 19
The only problem with Mulberry is that people can always tell which season you bought it in, as they *always* try to out-do themselves every season.

Not that I own one... still saving up... sigh.

Latest