The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2010 :: Post-Exam Discussion

Poll

I found the exam...

Devolved decision making about devolution meaning there is no need for Scottish representation at Wesminister.

Briefly outlined Scotland's role since the inception of the Scottish Parliament. I wrote about the reserved matters and how they affect Scotland. Wrote about the Scottish Block Grant and how that was crucial to Scotlands budget and how they needed representation on that (Secretary of State for Scotland negotiates the block grant).

STV better than FPTP?

Wrote about the preference. over 50% votes rather than Labours 2005, 35%. Multi-member wards (?), better representation.

However complicated to count compared to the simple FPTP. N.O.C. councils across scotland bar a few. Disliked - could lose safe seats.

Inequalities of gender and/or ethnic minorities.

Wrote about both. Mentioned the smoking, life expectancy of each gender, lifestyle choices due to poverty, policies to reduce by smoking ban, drug prevention, age limits for smoking and alchohol purchase, promotion of healthier living. Males more risky, more drugs, more alchohol, prone to violence, less likely to go to GP. Women biologically live longer but less pay.

Equal pay, sex discrimination, equality bill, equality act - the 5 C's. Inequalities in pay and employment. blue collar jobs = ethnic groups. women/ethnic earning a percentage of white males.

Sickle cell, strokes more common in Asians. Skin cancer etc

USA - Immigration

Spent like 5 minutes figuring out exactly what this was about. Bush's policies and border patrol or the benefits/costs of immigration. Went with the latter. Economic benefits, culture cost/benefit, employment/job, cheap labour in the current climate, public opposition in the form of Proposition 187.

Hope I did the immigration question right :frown:

Mixed reaction and my handwriting was awful.

How was it for you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That was an amazing exam. I was worrying about the DME, but that was really good too! Ah, can't wait for results for this... Never thought I'd say that.

Hope everyone did well :smile:
It went.. well actually. I'm somewhere between the first two options in the poll.

Critically Examine the view that the UK Parliament has little control over the Executive.
Basically here I said how Parliament was House of Lords and Commons and Executive was the Prime Minister and The Cabinet.
Then talked about how the executive needed support and how the House of Lords can delay legislation for up to a year but after that year it doesn't need to go through Lords again.
Then how the executive has the powers of: controlling Government Business, Expert Advice and Power of Appointment.

To what extent have government polices reduced gender and/or ethnic inequalities?
Talked here about Equal pay, Sex Discrimination act, How Parties need to allow ethnic minorities into there party, e.g. BNP and how they have some ethnic minorities in their party. Talked about the because they're under represented in Parliament and this under representation can cause inequalities.
Then about how even though equal pay has been introduced the pay is still not equal and then something about ethnic minorities are most likely to be on benefits and stuff like that.:confused:

Assess the impact of recent immigration to the USA
I took the approach of social and economic impacts and how some are good and bad. Started off with "A day without immigrants" and talked about how this showed people how important they were, then talked about how they do jobs that no one else will, e.g. cleaners, nannies, bin men, and how they will work cheaply.
Then socially how they introduce different cultures to people and she them what the world they live in is life and how if it's introduced at a young age they will begin to accept and respect immigrants.
Then said how they can be considered a drain on resources because illegal immigrants get free education like everyone else who pays taxes and how they get access to the free clinics as well.
Then something about ghettos and barrio's and who they cause gangs and such.
The ethnic tension and how this is a factor of white flight and how it helped cause the ghettos and such.

The United Nations Organisations (UNO) has been effective in promoting development.
Discuss.

Give me ten minutes and I could have finished this one.
But basically at the start I had no idea what it meant by UNO. So I talked about the UN and how they had millennium goals and how member countries of the UN have departments, such as DFID to make sure the goals are met.

Sound good, anyone?
Or did I completely screw up?
I did

A1
A4
B5
C7

For A1, I mentioned the 59 Scottish MPs, secretary of state important for negotiating block grant, scottish solutions to scottish problems, limitations due to reserved powers means not all of scotland's best interests can be represented at Holyrood and therefore the Scottish MPs are required.

Some wrote about the West Lothian Question, but I couldn't think of what to write for that.

DME, think it went well, how much can they penalise for not having very strong arguements? It is hard to tell.

Anyone else do the lifestyle question, I mentioned lifestyle, discussed it a bit and went on to talk about other factors.

C7-S.Africa was good.

overall it went well i serious hope so anyway
This is the quietest post exam thread I have seen.
Reply 5
in the modern studies exam thread i wrote my predictions. how right was i haha !
everything came up , okay immigration was a bit weak for me but i included economic, security and culutral arguments each with an example
UN essay went okay only fitted in two case studies
Lifestyle choices was great great
FPTP vs STV went well as well !
I had went over Well Man clinics so i had some great statistics like in a pilot bowel screening 300 cases were cured and 250000 heart defects were identified and treated! it was goood !
Reply 6
i think i might have ****** it.
i know swearing if forbidden on this, but mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
see for DME
i didn't label my sources. i just wrote out the full massive long name.
marks lost?
Reply 7
garlicbreadman
This is the quietest post exam thread I have seen.

it is lol, but i stayed behind in school to get my leavers certificate signed WOOHOO!

went alright actually i did
stv vs fptp,
lifestyles question (did a really simliar lifestyles and life circumstances in prelim and remembered it i was like yay :biggrin:)
un agencies dont know if i had enough points
immigration (did loads of points but wasnt sure cos it said RECENT) hmm

DME - was so dreading but it was actually alright and the questions were easy, sometimes im not sure about them but think possibly 10/10 for them:biggrin:

a lot of people seem to think it went well i hope the sqa dont put the boundaries up, i'd love an A after the success of it but a B will do me fine lol

p.s. on the gender question the sqa were really generous :O they had gender and/or race...i couldnt do it anyway even though i knew it was meant to be coming up i didnt study it haha but lucky for all those people who were studying for it as there seemed a lot on the other thread
Reply 8
zibby93
in the modern studies exam thread i wrote my predictions. how right was i haha !
everything came up , okay immigration was a bit weak for me but i included economic, security and culutral arguments each with an example
UN essay went okay only fitted in two case studies
Lifestyle choices was great great
FPTP vs STV went well as well !
I had went over Well Man clinics so i had some great statistics like in a pilot bowel screening 300 cases were cured and 250000 heart defects were identified and treated! it was goood !

you predicted UN goals for me.
you made me pass.
depending on your gender,
i could/ will have your babies.
thankyou sooo much!
Reply 9
history is tomorrow and biology is on thursday maybe everyones studying for them lol
Reply 10
for lifestyle choices did people talk about people choosing to drink alcohol,smoke etc was there respnisibiliyty and governemnt had used initiatives to deter it but people dont take government advice or help. The go on to talk about other factor which affect health like geogrpahical location etc
mmmm was ok :smile:

i thot question a1 was wordered pretty strange :frown:, didnt know what to write exactly but wrote down stuff abot reserved and devolved powers and how scotland needs more, mentioned calman commision and how the bib/con coalition plan to introduce some of the policies but not all, also the west lothain question

i did a4 mentioned most of the advantages and disadvantages, i said fptp was fairer!

b6
i think this went really well mentioned about 65% of women being on part time low paid jobs and how the government has introduced working tax credit and child tax credit plus free nursery places. also mentioned the glass ceiling and how only 3% of executive directors are women then i said how the sex discrimination act and equal pay acts have been successful and talked about michelle moone. then i did em inequalities and talked about how there is a link between poverty and disease and how certain ethnic minorites are more succeptible to diseases mentioned how the government have brought out multi-lingual leaflets to encourage uptake of healthcare service and also minimum wage has improved living standards

c8-china
didnt have much time left so wrote about page and a half just mentioned how many citizens have benefited however others havent and also about political dissidents.

dme went quite well but i dont think you can ever tell how youve done in dme :O got 3 arguments for and a couple of against!

did anyone notice the spelling mistake in one of the questions :P?

question a4- The single transferable vote electoral system provides FOR better representation than first past the post.
discuss
ciaran99
for lifestyle choices did people talk about people choosing to drink alcohol,smoke etc was there respnisibiliyty and governemnt had used initiatives to deter it but people dont take government advice or help. The go on to talk about other factor which affect health like geogrpahical location etc

well i didn't talk about government initiatives but did discuss other factors
Reply 13
ciaran99

i mentioned alcohol, smoking, drug taking, as lifestyles as its ur own choice then other factors are things like your social class(lower social classes more likely to smoke) and other things, then about damp housing meaning children are more likely to get asthma etc with statistics of how many people cant afford to put central heating on...conclusion was that even though other factors do affect health lifestyles is the most important factor as 22 out of top 25 illness areas in uk are in scotland (which indicates its scottish peoples lifestyles possibly) but you could have turned it the other way as well n said it was their circumstances lol
i didnt write about initiatives either but they'd probably get u brownie points :biggrin:
Is it bad if you repeat quite a lot in the DME?
At the end of each paragraph in DME, I said "Well Man Clinics would help to reduce the gender health gap", etc

I managed to mention quite a bit of BK (at least 5 times).

Everyone seems to have found it easy aahhhh
Reply 15
garlicbreadman
Is it bad if you repeat quite a lot in the DME?
At the end of each paragraph in DME, I said "Well Man Clinics would help to reduce the gender health gap", etc

I managed to mention quite a bit of BK (at least 5 times).

Everyone seems to have found it easy aahhhh

i dont think so i guess it reinforces it to the marker, i seen well man on the front as was gutted cos we had went over it in class ages ago n i couldnt remember any of it :frown:
i managed some bk though about illness areas in scotland, put the gender health gap and the north south health gap in the conclusion as i had mentioned previously that scotland spends a fifth more per head on health (said well man clinics would be better use of this money as it obviously isnt helping where its going currently with 6 areas in glasgow being the worst out of the 25 as well) ..also put random fact in about men earing on average more than women so they should be able to afford fresh fruit and veg more easily and possibly gym memberships to exercise (then said maybe if they were more informed they would take up these changes)
hope i put enough bk in :frown:
Ape Gone Insane
Ah, that would be down the structure of the exam. It's hard to discuss answers compared with Maths and Physics where there are exact answers to every question and a way of getting there. You can easily compare answers.

Also, maybe because not many people on TSR do Modern Studies except the core users who were posting in the other thread. :p:

The other thread was V.busy the lasy few days.

I think modern studies is quite subjective like English.
Hard to tell.

We could go through the source questions. That is the most exact thing we could do
EmmaDilemma

Health & Wealth - Only spoke about gov policies to tackle gender inequality.. spoke about equal pay act, equal opportunities commision, child tax credit, working tax credit.. all that jazz. Didn't meantion health stuff so I'll probs get penalised for it :| Ahh well.
Thanks to whoever drew out that plan.. it was a godsend. Think it might have been Ecosse_14?

That might of been me, I can't even remember haha, although I did predict gender would come up so might of been me.

As soon as I opened the paper and looked all of the questions, I had a MASSIVE smile on my face.
A4 - FPTP v STV, just compared adv and disadv really comparing it to representation and said STV was more representative. Probably my worst essay but wasn't bad

B6 - gender inequalities, I was begging for this coming up. It went really well :biggrin:

C8 - Oppositing in China, didn't expect this to come up but it went well.

C9 - Immigration, I was also begging that this would come up, think this went really well :biggrin: although my hand writing was a mess at the end of it :L

DME could of went better but I used all the sources/BK/etc so I'll at least get 10 for it :smile:

Hopefully I'll be getting an A, not sure though!
Reply 18
i hope everyone on the modern studies thread gets an A cos everyone seemed to be working so hard to learn as much as possibly, do we have a thread for after the exams? lol
(i hope everyone gets an A but especially those on here, a lot of you were very helpful, ty :biggrin:
Ecosse_14
That might of been me, I can't even remember haha, although I did predict gender would come up so might of been me.

As soon as I opened the paper and looked all of the questions, I had a MASSIVE smile on my face.
A4 - FPTP v STV, just compared adv and disadv really comparing it to representation and said STV was more representative. Probably my worst essay but wasn't bad

B6 - gender inequalities, I was begging for this coming up. It went really well :biggrin:

C8 - Oppositing in China, didn't expect this to come up but it went well.

C9 - Immigration, I was also begging that this would come up, think this went really well :biggrin: although my hand writing was a mess at the end of it :L

DME could of went better but I used all the sources/BK/etc so I'll at least get 10 for it :smile:

Hopefully I'll be getting an A, not sure though!

It is really hard to predict for modern studies.

See for the short Paper 2 questions, I made a comment afterwards to show that I understand.

i,e, Thus, **** might be accused of exaggeration because s/he is only partially correctn. This was after saying Source .... shows that.....

Latest

Trending

Trending