The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What the hell? No..
Reply 2
There's a lot worse out there
Reply 3
It's not the best, but it's not mickey mouse either.
Reply 4
It's hardly a mickey mouse degree, it's an interdisciplinary subject that crosses over philosophy, economics, sociology, history and human geography. A sizable proportion of our leading politicians have studied some version of it, so no hardly a mickey mouse degree.

Mickey mouse degrees are things like Surf Studies, Golf Course Management, Event Management etc etc
Na.
Reply 6
Politics :no:
You should have asked this to the 3 party leaders a couple of weeks back!
Reply 8
**** no, politics is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 9
No...
RBarack
It's not the best, but it's not mickey mouse either.

Not the best for what? Enjoyment? Difficulty? Employment prospects?

Are you in any position to judge the degree in the basis of any of those contexts? Nah, didn't think so mate, probably best to keep your invalid and unsubstantiated opinions to yourself.
Chrrye
There's a lot worse out there

Oh god that girl in your avatar is incredibly cute. I feel like I could stare at her cheeky little smile and innocent little hand movements forever! SHe's just so... aw... I just love her so much! :love:
Reply 12
innerhollow
Oh god that girl in your avatar is incredibly cute. I feel like I could stare at her cheeky little smile and innocent little hand movements forever! SHe's just so... aw... I just love her so much! :love:

Stop cherpzing on Boxxy :mad:
Chrrye
Stop cherpzing on Boxxy :mad:

Haha just typed in "Boxxy" on urbandictionary. Geez no wonder I got infatuated with her just from seeing an avatar of her. I wish I could stick her in a room and watch her talk all day.
Reply 14
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Not the best for what? Enjoyment? Difficulty? Employment prospects?

Are you in any position to judge the degree in the basis of any of those contexts? Nah, didn't think so mate, probably best to keep your invalid and unsubstantiated opinions to yourself.

It isn't a particularly versatile degree. You don't need to study politics to become a politician. Hell, I can't think of a single politician who studied politics as a single honours degree. It's not a particularly hard degree either. Like many other humanities degrees, it doesn't open many doors for employment. As a social science subject, it doesn't compare to economics. Nor does it compare to an engineering, law, medical, economics, natural science or mathematics graduate in terms of employment. It's a little wish-washy. As a first year Civil Engineer, I probably know more about global issues than your typical politics student. Purely because I read the economist and newspapers on a regular basis, whilst (i'm sure) many politics students don't.

As I said, I don't consider it a mickey mouse degree (i.e. completely pointless; in my opinion, a cheap way for universities to teach students whilst using them as a source of funding). I should have elaborated on my second statement - nor is it the best degree out there. Let's face it, employment prospects aren't particularly lucrative for the typical politics graduate, unless of course you studied at Oxbridge or another top 7 or 8 institute.

Of course what i'm saying is completely opinionated. Many graduates aren't looking for lucrative or well paid jobs.

You just have to look at the statistics for average graduate salaries, and salaries say 10 years down the road. They aren't particularly great for politics graduates. In fact i'm inclined to say politics graduates come out with lower starting salaries than at least 20 of the different degrees out there.

I will admit: I strongly considered a politics degree when applying to university. But do you actually have to study it as a degree if you're interested in it? I read up on contemporary political issues on a regular basis, I don't need to study it as a degree.
Reply 15
RBarack
It isn't a particularly versatile degree. You don't need to study politics to become a politician. Hell, I can't think of a single politician who studied politics as a single honours degree. It's not a particularly hard degree either. Like many other humanities degrees, it doesn't open many doors for employment. As a social science subject, it doesn't compare to economics. Nor does it compare to an engineering, law, medical, economics, natural science or mathematics graduate in terms of employment. It's a little wish-washy. As a first year Civil Engineer, I probably know more about global issues than your typical politics student. Purely because I read the economist and newspapers on a regular basis, whilst (i'm sure) many politics students don't.

As I said, I don't consider it a mickey mouse degree (i.e. completely pointless; in my opinion, a cheap way for universities to teach students whilst using them as a source of funding). I should have elaborated on my second statement - nor is it the best degree out there. Let's face it, employment prospects aren't particularly lucrative for the typical politics graduate, unless of course you studied at Oxbridge or another top 7 or 8 institute.

Of course what i'm saying is completely opinionated. Many graduates aren't looking for lucrative or well paid jobs.

You just have to look at the statistics for average graduate salaries, and salaries say 10 years down the road. They aren't particularly great for politics graduates. In fact i'm inclined to say politics graduates come out with lower starting salaries than at least 20 of the different degrees out there.

I will admit: I strongly considered a politics degree when applying to university. But do you actually have to study it as a degree if you're interested in it? I read up on contemporary political issues on a regular basis, I don't need to study it as a degree.

Reply 16
RBarack

On the contrary, I'd argue that a good politics degree actually offers quite a lot.

Much like an economics degree, it entails a mixture of a) number-crunching, b) qualitative analysis, c) 'hard' research, and d) strong writing/presentation. The primary difference is the extent to which you're doing quant work. Economics has more, whereas in PolSci the balance is a little more towards concepts/analysis/ideas.

You seem to be treating PolSci with the impression that all courses are like the worst of them. They aren't. It's not as if you're simply sitting there discussing global issues and waxing lyrical about what you think about the LibDems. (Of course on one of the poorer courses it is like this, but believe it or not if you do Economics on one of the not-so-top courses you won't be number-crunching too much either.)

There's no denying that Politics students have poorer prospects than economists and engineers, but if the candidate also is a) on a good Pol course and b) is actually someone able to do the rigorous 'scientific' side of the subject, they'll come out pretty good.
RBarack

So basically you've just proven that you have no idea what the study of Politics involves. Denouncing it as the study of 'contemporary affairs' is like saying civil engineering is drawing bridges; I'm a brilliant artist, I don't need a degree to prove I can do that. You've said you're a civil engineering first year undergrad, yet you have the experience to judge a degree in Politics as wishy-washy and easy? I've got to be completely honest, it's probably a lot harder to achieve higher grades in Politics than it is in Engineering due to the sheer subjectivity involved in marking essays and the broad and deep processes of thinking needed to achieve anything half decent. You've also made the assumption that Politics students all aspire to be politicians when they graduate; I don't think you actually realise what an academic degree is supposed to be for, but then again, a lot of vocational students don't.

Also, stop making judgements on the versatility and employability of politics graduates when you have no experience whatsoever in the graduate market. Pulling figures from the internet does not give you legitimate groundings to base your opinions, and construing them as facts makes you look naive and idiotic.
RBarack

Er; try sitting in my 9am seminars mate. I get current affairs thrown at me that have only just made it into the morning papers. And no offence, but reading papers - subjective views - and accepting them is the polar opposite of a politics degree.

Oh, and incidently, my degree is a BSc as a direct result of the amount of economics and statistical related content it has. You really don't seem to know the course content of a politics degree - I've studied Malthusian population graphs and the Alternative Economic Strategy of the Labour Party of the 1970s.
Reply 19
RBarack
As a first year Civil Engineer, I probably know more about global issues than your typical politics student. Purely because I read the economist and newspapers on a regular basis, whilst (i'm sure) many politics students don't.

How much do you learn about rational choice theory, voting behaviour, structualism and post-structualism, political philosophy and political thought (Burke, Augustine, Mill, Bentham, Marx, Rawls) and theories of International Relations (Realism, Idealism) from reading the economist.

Politics is more than just looking at contemporary events. In fact, depending on the degree and modules, there doesn't need to be a great amount of that.

Latest

Trending

Trending