The Student Room Group

Law, Political History, Gov and Politics or Pyschology?

Ok, first off, I apologise for another of these tedious threads. But I would appreciate advice here (and don't dwell too long I have an interview at 10am to discuss my options! :wink: ).

Come next Tuesday I will be studying English Literature, History, Biology and Chemistry AS Levels at my school's sixth form. However, I am also interested in doing an extra AS Level outside of school for personal, educational and enjoyable reasons (!). I may decide that I, frankly, can't be arsed; which is why I'm discussing my options tomorrow.

But seriously; would you go for: Law, Political History, Government and Politics or Pyschology? Please be aware that I am not a fan of so-called 'Mickey Mouse' subjects (hence my school AS choices), and respect for the subject is important to me; although I'm not quite sure which would be the most credible. I'm thinking perhaps one of the Politics?

Please also be aware that I am hoping to study Law at University, or perhaps English Literature (Medicine possibly?), and thus subject choices (and grades!) are of the utmost importance. I'm also hoping for a top university, and perhaps Oxbridge. (I'm rather keen on Oxford).

I have heard, however, that universities prefer their Law students to not have an A-Level Law qualification, and as previously mentioned, I'd like the subject I choose as an extra to be as respected as possible.

Cheers for any advice.
Reply 1
Gov & Politics would go quite nicely with your others, it is a well respected A level, theres a whole unit on the judiciary which gives you a very basic insight into law, and politics itself is really little more than how laws are made and then enforced. So all in all, do politics, its great fun (well I thought so anyway) :smile:
Reply 2
Government and Politics. Totally.
Reply 3
To echo; Government & Politics.
Reply 4
do Government and Politics because its easy :biggrin:
Reply 5
I did Government and Politics at A-level, and Psychology too. I have to say that the former was most definitely not easy for me! I really enjoyed it though, revised lots and got an A :biggrin: I found psychology much easier to grasp and really interesting, for the most part. My advice would be to choose a subject you think you will enjoy, rather than one you probably won't but that seems "credible."
I'd go with government and politics. Law is not a good choice if you're considering it as a degree, psychology is not that respected and political history is kind of a crossover between politics and history, so since you're already doing history, you might as well do politics too.
Reply 7
Government and Politics is the most respected along with History and if you gain a good grade in either of these, people will look up to you, unlike the other subjects.
Reply 8
Ok people, thanks for the advice and opinions, I really appreciate it! The trouble is; there is a new dilemma! It turns out that my choice of subjects at my school sixth form clashed (dammit!), so I was only able to take English Lit, History and Biology at school with Chemistry taken outside of school at Liverpool's Community College. However, I have also been roped into taking Physics, instead of Chemistry, at school (whilst I am actually taking Chemistry at college!). This means I will be doing 6 AS-Levels, in total: English Lit, History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and General Studies. The latter isn't very hard, or important, I'm told, but the other five don't exactly look easy! Am I taking too much on? Please bare in mind also, that the Chemistry is only on one night per week; in a 3 hour Tuesday evening session.

By the way, the reason I didn't take Gov and Politics etc as an extra, was because I had to take Chemistry as a college extra, and my school does not offer any of the subject mentioned in the thread's title.
I'd ignore general studies, it's really not worth your attention, you'll be too busy.

To even consider those subjects you must be capable, so maybe you should do them all, but if it were me I'd be looking to drop one.

Is it really necessary to do a subject outside school time?
zhivago
Ok people, thanks for the advice and opinions, I really appreciate it! The trouble is; there is a new dilemma! It turns out that my choice of subjects at my school sixth form clashed (dammit!), so I was only able to take English Lit, History and Biology at school with Chemistry taken outside of school at Liverpool's Community College. However, I have also been roped into taking Physics, instead of Chemistry, at school (whilst I am actually taking Chemistry at college!). This means I will be doing 6 AS-Levels, in total: English Lit, History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and General Studies. The latter isn't very hard, or important, I'm told, but the other five don't exactly look easy! Am I taking too much on? Please bare in mind also, that the Chemistry is only on one night per week; in a 3 hour Tuesday evening session.

By the way, the reason I didn't take Gov and Politics etc as an extra, was because I had to take Chemistry as a college extra, and my school does not offer any of the subject mentioned in the thread's title.

My mate did the 3 hour Tuesday evening session for chemistry in liverpool community college aswell, he said they gave u little help for the subject in class, shoved you with past papers for homework that u weren't meant to give in for marking and then put u in for the exam unprepared. Imo 3 hours a week isn't enough to be doing an AS and 3 hours of it in one session can take it out of you mentally.
Reply 11
do you really need to take on 6 subjects? well, 5 really, sicne i can guarantee that you can walk into that exam and get top marks without having attended a lesson! Plus, if you're aiming for oxbridge, they don't accept it anyway :smile:

The 5 are an excellent combination, but will be a lot of work... are you prepared to take that on? You say you have been 'roped into doing Physics'....can you maybe study Eng Lit, History and Biology at sixth form, with the Chemistry at the college? Then, you can cover all of your potential course choices (law, english, medicine), and yet ease the pressure a bit with 'just' the 4 AS levels!

Although if you do continue with the 5, as long as you are organised and a hard working personn, there's no reason why you couldn't cope.
I would also say Government & Politics, but that's because I am not taking any of the others.
Reply 13
Gv. and Pol. is brilliant. But if you want to do medicine, you'll need the chemistry. Hmm...difficult.
Reply 14
I know! I really appreciate the input, guys (meaning girls too :p: ). Thing is, GS is compulsory in my school, so basically I'm only doing 5 but with GS as well (not much effort gonna go in there! :wink: ). I am worried that Chemistry won't be up to scratch, but oh well, I guess I'll just see how it goes, and if I'm getting stressed I can perhaps drop Physics, which I wasn't intending to take anyway - the only reason I agreed was to get out of the interview!

Oh, and I must have come across as some workaholic! I'm not actually at all like that, it's just I do want to do Chemistry quite badly. I was just the average student a few hours ago - 4 AS Levels with General Studies, which is standard for my school (and a lot of schools), it's only because I had to move Chemistry to outside school, and then my Physics teacher (who was also my interviewer) basically persuaded me to try Physics as a replacement in school - that's how I ended up with 10 billion AS levels!

I guess, I'll just try it out. Thanks again. I've got my first 3 hour Chemistry lecture on Tuesday so, fingers crossed! I hope it's not too bad, Oblivious!
Reply 15
zhivago
I know! I really appreciate the input, guys (meaning girls too :p: ). Thing is, GS is compulsory in my school, so basically I'm only doing 5 but with GS as well (not much effort gonna go in there! :wink: ). I am worried that Chemistry won't be up to scratch, but oh well, I guess I'll just see how it goes, and if I'm getting stressed I can perhaps drop Physics, which I wasn't intending to take anyway - the only reason I agreed was to get out of the interview!

Oh, and I must have come across as some workaholic! I'm not actually at all like that, it's just I do want to do Chemistry quite badly. I was just the average student a few hours ago - 4 AS Levels with General Studies, which is standard for my school (and a lot of schools), it's only because I had to move Chemistry to outside school, and then my Physics teacher (who was also my interviewer) basically persuaded me to try Physics as a replacement in school - that's how I ended up with 10 billion AS levels!

I guess, I'll just try it out. Thanks again. I've got my first 3 hour Chemistry lecture on Tuesday so, fingers crossed! I hope it's not too bad, Oblivious!

errrrr... :confused:

Latest