The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
My bad, post fail
Reply 61
Fat people can't give people around them cancer whilst eating, Alcoholics can't give people around them cancer whilst consuming alcohol, whereas smokers ...

I don't generally feel disdain towards all smokers, its the parents who smoke in cars with the windows closed and their children in the back seat ...the people who put others at risk due to their own habit, they are the ones whom I loath.
Isolate
How does smoking in an open area or in a private establishment such as a restaurant or pub affect you?

are you seriously asking me that question? It doesn't take a genius to figure it out...passive smoking...polluting the air...we breathe the air..

Isolate
You don't like the fact that they are smokers or you don't like them as people?

as smokers of course
Reply 63
satisfactionatlast
are you seriously asking me that question? It doesn't take a genius to figure it out...passive smoking...polluting the air...we breathe the air..

1 - Someone smoking in an open area (eg on the street or in the park) is not going to have a detrimental impact on your health.

2 - If a pub or restaurant owners doesn't have a problem with people smoking in their establishment, then you don't have to go to that pub or restaurant. It is not a big deal.
Lol.

The people who live in any city and not the countryside and complain about smokers 'polluting' the air are my favorites.

They're hillarious.

Also, the cost argument falls flat on it's face as has been mentioned before.
Reply 65
I feel much more disdain towards fatties if I'm completely honest. At least people who smoke don't try to make themselves look disgusting, like bloated toads waddling about.
Given that smokers pay more in taxes than they use through the NHS, I don't care about people smoking, providing they don't do it near me :smile:

Likewise with fat people, they probably pay a lot of money in VAT, and as long as they're not forcing cake down my throat I don't care.

The same with drinkers etc. I do drink myself, but certainly not had any drinking-related ilnesses and given that I don't regularly binge drink, I don't think I ever will.
Reply 67
I only dislike people who smoke when I am around. I hate the smell of smoke, but apparently they don't which is fine by me, so long as they take into account the fact that I don't want to be smoked all over.
Reply 68
OP does realise the drinking costs the nhs more than obesity?

Smoking and drinking both individualy cost way more than obesity and drinking is one contributy factor of obesity.

And no i feel disdain to neither smokers or faties. I miss the good ol' days of smokey pubs and fat blokes playing darts whilst downing a nice cheap pint.

Damn the smoking ban and alcohol taxes >:frown:
Isolate
1 - Someone smoking in an open area (eg on the street or in the park) is not going to have a detrimental impact on your health.

no, it may not in the short run. However, it pollutes the air and we breathe that air, and it is going to affect us in the long run
Reply 70
satisfactionatlast
no, it may not in the short run. However, it pollutes the air and we breathe that air, and it is going to affect us in the long run

Is there evidence that the pollution caused by smoking has a significant impact on air quality?
Reply 71
Personally I feel more disdain towards smokers than overweight or obese people. I think you can't say it is because smokers are more attractive that they gain less abuse because not all of them are.

Smokers harm other peoples health with second hand smoking and smell horrible [this is probably just my opinion because I am a non-smoker]. Smoking also affects appearance in many ways e.g. yellows teeth and nails. I think it is also bad for your skin.

Although I have not heard much geuine abuse towards smokers or the obese. Of the two I have heard more towards smokers, tbh. OP, maybe we just hang around in different crowds, lol.
Reply 72
satisfactionatlast
I don't like smokers in general. They're a bunch of selfish *****! All they care about is themselves! Smoke in your own house instead of polluting others with your filth! I don't like smokers. Period. And yes, that goes to my uncles as well! :huff:

Whilst Drivers are responsible and caring people? Because it is car fumes that are causing increases in lung cancer and asthma amongst non-smokers, not smoking.

Urban non-smokers are more likely to get lung cancer than rural person with a 10 a day habit.

Industrial pollution is killing you, not my cigarettes. But because you can't see exhaust fumes and gaseous industrial by-products people are more likely to get upset about ciggies.
Reply 73
RollerBall
I can, however, call them a burden to the NHS.

So are old people, young people, disabled people, people with chronic disease and genetic conditions.

Or maybe they're not 'burdens' at all but just sick people in need of care?
One million per cent yes. I hate them being around me and their......."aroma"......but I love the tax revenue they bring in :sexface:
Reply 75
Libtolu
OP does realise the drinking costs the nhs more than obesity?

Smoking and drinking both individualy cost way more than obesity and drinking is one contributy factor of obesity.

And no i feel disdain to neither smokers or faties. I miss the good ol' days of smokey pubs and fat blokes playing darts whilst downing a nice cheap pint.

Damn the smoking ban and alcohol taxes >:frown:

I remember those days. The days where a man could go for a swift half and a ciggie after work and not be considered some kind of disgusting pleb for it.

Nowadays it's off to the wine bar for a nice relaxing 'mohito' (essentially about 50p worth of alcohol mixed with some tasteless green crap and sold to you for a tenner) and a good old moan about all those smokers that you never see anymore (because their boozer had to close, or indeed has been turned into the soulless ********* we're now forced to inhabit).
Isolate

I can't believe you're actually arguing with me on that point! :facepalm:
Reply 77
satisfactionatlast
I can't believe you're actually arguing with me on that point! :facepalm:

As I've said before, is there evidence that the pollution caused by smoking has a significant impact on air quality?
tehjonny
So are old people, young people, disabled people, people with chronic disease and genetic conditions.

Or maybe they're not 'burdens' at all but just sick people in need of care?

We could ban smoking, and remove the burden. Do you propose we *ban* old people?

You cannot compare self inflicted illnesses due to smoking to other diseases. That's just plain moronic.
Reply 79
RollerBall
We could ban smoking, and remove the burden. Do you propose we *ban* old people?

You cannot compare self inflicted illnesses due to smoking to other diseases. That's just plain moronic.

What I meant is that you could term anyone a 'burden' - in that they are taking resources from the healthcare system.

Regardless, they can never be sure exactly what caused cancer in a certain individual - too many variables. Non-smokers get 'smoking related diseases' all the time - so they can hardly be purely smoking related can they? They even blame completely non-related illness upon smoking if the person in question is a smoker - even though that is not accepted as a cause of that given illness by any diagnostic criteria. I got Prostatitis a few years back - they tried to tell me smoking probably caused it. I mean, that came from a supposed 'Dr'. What he probably meant is that smoking reduces the immune system making infection more likely to occur. What he said was 'It is likely your smoking caused this infection'. Even a lay person knows that is complete *****. Smokers get ill, a lot of the time because of their habit. They quite often get ill for the same reasons everyone else does - blind luck.

What about someone who falls off a ladder? They chose to go up that ladder, they most likely fell because of their own cluminess/lack of attention.

They day we start turning people away from hospitals because their injuries are self-inflicted is the day this country sheds any last scrap of morality. It isn't up to you what other people do with their lives. Ban cigarettes and what - just one less thing for us to enjoy because the health stasi have decided they know better than the filthy plebs?

If you really want to see less respiratory and vascular disease I suggest you start lobbying for cars to be made illegal. That is the real cause of the mass rise of lung-cancer in our society - a huge rise in the levels of industrial waste being put into our air. My cigarette doesn't give Little Jenny her asthma - it is the 200 hundred exhausts she walks past on her way to school that do that I'm afraid.

Latest

Trending

Trending