The Student Room Group

Major Panic About Uni!!

Ok well today I realised it's only about 3 months until I go to uni, and the thought of it made me have a bit of a panic attack. I haven't been in education or work for 2 years because of an illness, I was forced to defer my place twice, if I don't take it this year I will lose the place. I absolutely hated A levels although I got reasonably good grades but I just don't seem to enjoy studying at all. I'm really worried that going to uni will just be too difficult after such a long break, I just don't know how much preparation I should do, I'm scared that I won't manage the course, I'm scared that I'll struggle to make friends because of my medical problems and also that my health will make it even harder to do the course (I was healthy when i did A levels). But I don't think that there is any way that my family will accept me not going to uni, so dropping out doesn't seem to be an option, so I just feel totally trapped!
Reply 1
If you're concerned about how much work you should do at uni, remember it's always better to overestimate than underestimate. You should really focus 100% on getting a a 2:1 or a first and put everything else (like making friends) after. It is good to have friends but not absolutely necessary, after all you're paying to study a course that may have a huge impact on your career and life whereas friends can come and go.
Reply 2
Well at the moment I'm mostly concerned about how much I should do to just prepare for going to uni, some of my friends say I should completely relearn everything I did for A levels because its 2 years since I've done them, but some say this would be a waste of time because uni is different to A levels.
Reply 3
Read around your subject? Its hard to tell you how to prepare without knowing what your doing.
Reply 4
What degree are you looking to do?
Reply 5
Psychology
Reply 6
A couple of my flatmates did psychology...they had to work hard especially at exam times but they could also take time off!
Maybe speak to your family....going to uni is scary but fantastic once you get there....you will make friends...i dont know anyone who didnt...everyone is in the same boat so everyone is looking for mates :smile:
I had some bad times during uni and my mates were amazing!! :smile:
x
Reply 7
A lot of mature students will probably be in a fairly similar position to yourself. Im sure you will get back into the swing of things really quickly, its not worth panicking.
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies :smile:. I'm feeling a bit better about it today, I had a look at the course details and as A level Psychology isn't required, I'm assuming some students won't have done psychology before so i wont be expected to know loads before i go. i also spoke to my mum and she says i have to do at least one term but if after that i still havent settled in or if the course is too much for me to cope with then she would be ok with me dropping out.

Latest

Trending

Trending