The Student Room Group

How important is the LNAT score for Cambridge?

Hi,
I took my LNAT a few weeks back and am applying to Cambridge. In hindsight, there is this one MCQ question which I answered correctly but at the last minute, I changed my answer to the wrong one. It's really annoying because I know LNAT scores often come down to the wire with 1-2 marks making or breaking an application, and I would hate it if that mistake costs me my place simply because I was one mark off. I understand law is a competitive course, which is why it is so worrying.

For Cambridge (and other unis too, but especially Cam) would a 1-2 mark difference in LNAT with another candidate really be a make-or-break factor? I know LSE etc. place an unreal emphasis on the test, but I was wondering whether the same is the case with Cambridge since they have interviews (and my college asks for written work too). More importantly, would something like a one or two-mark difference be a reason to not call a candidate to interview? I feel like I could do better at the interview, but am worried I might not make it.
@Peterhouse Admissions sorry to bother you during the admissions cycle - you wouldn't have insight on this by any chance?
Hi, did you ever find anything out as I’m struggling to find data online that discusses as to how much Cambridge weigh the LNAT score (perhaps because they used the CLAT for so long).

Original post by anaveragekid
Hi,
I took my LNAT a few weeks back and am applying to Cambridge. In hindsight, there is this one MCQ question which I answered correctly but at the last minute, I changed my answer to the wrong one. It's really annoying because I know LNAT scores often come down to the wire with 1-2 marks making or breaking an application, and I would hate it if that mistake costs me my place simply because I was one mark off. I understand law is a competitive course, which is why it is so worrying.

For Cambridge (and other unis too, but especially Cam) would a 1-2 mark difference in LNAT with another candidate really be a make-or-break factor? I know LSE etc. place an unreal emphasis on the test, but I was wondering whether the same is the case with Cambridge since they have interviews (and my college asks for written work too). More importantly, would something like a one or two-mark difference be a reason to not call a candidate to interview? I feel like I could do better at the interview, but am worried I might not make it.
Reply 3
Original post by Malinirena05
Hi, did you ever find anything out as I’m struggling to find data online that discusses as to how much Cambridge weigh the LNAT score (perhaps because they used the CLAT for so long).

Hi. Wow this takes me back to the panic I was in last year at this time, lol.

Personally, having gone through the whole process, I don’t think the LNAT score was as heavily weighed as the essay was, and it did seem they focused more on the essay section as that was brought up for me at interview too.

For reference, I got a 31 in the LNAT in the MCQ section but didn’t get a place at Cambridge, although I was placed in the winter pool (unsucessfuly).

The most important thing by far, I felt, was the interview and really that was my only stumbling block as my LNAT turned out pretty decent. If you’ve already sat the LNAT, don’t worry about it. Usually it turns out better than you think and Cambridge do seem to have a more holistic approach. Hope that helps, best of luck
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by anaveragekid

Hi. Wow this takes me back to the panic I was in last year at this time, lol.

Personally, having gone through the whole process, I don’t think the LNAT score was as heavily weighed as the essay was, and it did seem they focused more on the essay section as that was brought up for me at interview too.

For reference, I got a 31 in the LNAT in the MCQ section but didn’t get a place at Cambridge, although I was placed in the winter pool (unsucessfuly).

The most important thing by far, I felt, was the interview and really that was my only stumbling block as my LNAT turned out pretty decent. If you’ve already sat the LNAT, don’t worry about it. Usually it turns out better than you think and Cambridge do seem to have a more holistic approach. Hope that helps, best of luck

Hi there. 31 out of 40 sounds incredible and it is really unfortunate that they rejected you.

I am to sit the interview in 2 weeks time and Im feeling incredibly nervous. Having said that it was the interview which perhaps brought you down, what would be some tips or insights that you can share on the interview? (Literally living through panic mode rn)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi there. 31 out of 40 sounds incredible and it is really unfortunate that they rejected you.

I am to sit the interview in 2 weeks time and Im feeling incredibly nervous. Having said that it was the interview which perhaps brought you down, what would be some tips or insights that you can share on the interview? (Literally living through panic mode rn)

Original post by Anonymous #1

Hiya. Ah yes, very unfortunate indeed, but life goes on. I don't find much time to think about it now thanks to all the law reading that's part of my course! It was the interview which brought me down I'm afraid, although my scores were pretty good so I believe the exceptional competition probably didn't help. Bad timing to apply, lol

I actually sat 3 interviews at Cambridge so I have quite the experience. I'm afraid despite that I don't have any major tips to offer other than ones you've probably already heard. For the most part, I'd say take some time to think before you answer. One thing I've always struggled with is answering almost immediately after being asked a question (that comes partly from my experience in debates and stuff, I just answer instinctively). While that may seem like a good idea (and actually thinking in silence might seem agonising), it does mean you often blurt out half-baked ideas which you then get pushed into a corner with and end up struggling to defend.

Other than this, while you should be flexible and ready to change your view when it's pushed to absurdity, remember to have some confidence in your own reasoning. You've made it this far so your thought process is obviously capable enough of putting together a reasonably defensible answer; don't doubt it!

And don't let panic get the better of you. Think of it like a discussion. I did a lot of mock interviews and smashed them, but nerves really do kill you if you overthink it. I know it sounds cliche and rather high and mighty coming from me having gone through it, but try to think of it as a good chance to meet with some law tutors. If you get in, great! If you don't, the world won't crumble (although, believe me, I thought it would when I was in your position).

I wish you the best of luck. Send them my deepest hate (jk...partly 😉)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending