The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I complained recently as i bought a birthday cake in tesco and the base tasted funny (of chemicals/washing up liquid) and i got £15 worth of vouchers :p:
buttercuplizzy
it's a consumer sense of entitlement.

I reckon that kind of thing spills into your everyday life. I know a girl who used to steal from her friends, and then when she got caught tried to justify it by playing the victim because she wasn't as rich as them. You seem like the sort of person who would pull that kind of thing if they could get away with it and not even feel guilty.

Dishonesty isn't something to be proud of.
TickTockBoom
I reckon that kind of thing spills into your everyday life. I know a girl who used to steal from her friends, and then when she got caught tried to justify it by playing the victim because she wasn't as rich as them. You seem like the sort of person who would pull that kind of thing if they could get away with it and not even feel guilty.

Dishonesty isn't something to be proud of.

So it's not my right to complain if someone sits in my reserved seat or if I spend a lot on a meal out and it turns up cold and horrible? Seriously, surely thats better than the people who sit there whinging and doing nothing about it. I'm not some kind of common criminal! Jeez. also, maybe you should make sweeping assumptions before you know someone: "You seem like the sort of person who would pull that kind of thing if they could get away with it and not even feel guilty."
Reply 43
My dad complains about everything (mainly food in restaurants) and always seems to get freebies/vouchers, never thought of doing anything like that myself though.
Reply 45
most companies track complaints anyway under the excuse of "tracking problems with our products". But of course its used to check for people who abuse the system too. The supermarket where I work during the hols does it.
buttercuplizzy
So it's not my right to complain if someone sits in my reserved seat or if I spend a lot on a meal out and it turns up cold and horrible? Seriously, surely thats better than the people who sit there whinging and doing nothing about it. I'm not some kind of common criminal! Jeez. also, maybe you should make sweeping assumptions before you know someone: "You seem like the sort of person who would pull that kind of thing if they could get away with it and not even feel guilty."

You talked about complaining just to get freebies, of course there is nothing wrong with complaining if you have an actual reason. Can't believe you actually considered damaging something to get a discount though.
Reply 47
I feel bad after Reading this I complain about a lot of things but only once falsely ( yesterday :tongue:) I bought a £40 game at tesco and it was so boring so I took it back and got a refund and I said it didn't work :frown:

almost all companies give vouchers if you complain, I have had loads like £5 gu, £15 tesco, £10 superdrug etc but sennheiser are one company who don't give anything. My headphones broke after 6 months and they have a 2 year warranty - tesco wouldn't take them back as I didn't have a receipt and after 10s of emails to sennheiser including one from the uk director they still refused to refund - in the end all they said is they only honor a warranty without receipt if the item is over a year old. so my calender now has email sennheiser on it for this October :tongue:
Jrumsey
Tesco and yes i do start recognising the names theres one lady because she has complained about every shop shes ever had her shopping gets audited every time, and every time she still complains - stupid bitch cant work out that our department manager knows shes lying but customer service call center doesnt give a **** - i keep saying that the store should be allowed to deal with problems ie give us a chance to fix things so they dont have to complain or dismiss them when we know its ********!

can you not ban her? I work at Iceland, we do home deliveries in store, as in customer spends so much, they can have a free home delivery, so we bag up the shopping as it goes through the till, crate it up etc, so unless a whole crate(containing two bags usually) is forgotten and left at the shop, their delivery can't really be incorrect, as in two items randomly missing. But we still get folks complaining, thing is we have one copy of the receipt and they have the other, some folks are so dense they'll try and claim for items they didn't even buy! If someone complains every time we can simply refuse to give them home deliveries any more, as we can if someone arranges the time, but isn't in, and that becomes a constant pattern.
CJN
I feel bad after Reading this I complain about a lot of things but only once falsely ( yesterday :tongue:) I bought a £40 game at tesco and it was so boring so I took it back and got a refund and I said it didn't work :frown:

That's not so bad, complaining about a defective item isn't such a major thing, either they'll test it and see it works, and just re-sell it, or claim the money back from the wholesaler, who claims it back from their supplier..up and up to the manufacturer, who is going to expect a few dodgy disks.

However if you're complain concerns a particular member of staff, or concerns a scenario where a certain member(s) of staff was involved in your transaction, then that is incredibly wrong, as you could be costing that person their job.

Great example is when we get folks saying "I gave you a £20 note!", when they only gave ten. If the person on the till believes them, their till will now be £10 down and they'll get in trouble, probably not fired unless it happens often, but still very cruel.
Reply 50
Where I work, If you nag a manager 10 mins before their shift ends (21:50), then your quids in :wink: Not telling you where though :p:

EDIT: This reminds me of michael macintyre at the apollo. He phoned up sky saying he wanted to cancel his subscription thinking they would give him a better deal. but they didnt and he was left skyless lol.
Reply 51
joey11223
That's not so bad, complaining about a defective item isn't such a major thing, either they'll test it and see it works, and just re-sell it, or claim the money back from the wholesaler, who claims it back from their supplier..up and up to the manufacturer, who is going to expect a few dodgy disks.

However if you're complain concerns a particular member of staff, or concerns a scenario where a certain member(s) of staff was involved in your transaction, then that is incredibly wrong, as you could be costing that person their job.

Great example is when we get folks saying "I gave you a £20 note!", when they only gave ten. If the person on the till believes them, their till will now be £10 down and they'll get in trouble, probably not fired unless it happens often, but still very cruel.

Oh no I never complain about any people, only ever products so its fine really. No person is going to get in trouble over it.
I complained at Mcdonald's so they jizzed in my mayonnaise good times:smile:
Reply 53
CJN
Oh no I never complain about any people, only ever products so its fine really. No person is going to get in trouble over it.

I had that 'I gave you a £20' on my first day working at ikea checkouts, i checked the til because mine was always organised and I would have put it in the wrong place if that was the case, so i called the teamleader who counted it, the manager counted and a cash office supervisor counted it as well as by machine. The woman had to wait for an hour and it came back and found out i was missing 2p not had an extra tenner.

she looked so stupid in front of all the other customers!

joey11223
can you not ban her? I work at Iceland, we do home deliveries in store, as in customer spends so much, they can have a free home delivery, so we bag up the shopping as it goes through the till, crate it up etc, so unless a whole crate(containing two bags usually) is forgotten and left at the shop, their delivery can't really be incorrect, as in two items randomly missing. But we still get folks complaining, thing is we have one copy of the receipt and they have the other, some folks are so dense they'll try and claim for items they didn't even buy! If someone complains every time we can simply refuse to give them home deliveries any more, as we can if someone arranges the time, but isn't in, and that becomes a constant pattern.

no we cant as a store head office have to do it and yes ive had people complain before that their choc ices were melted - erm i dont think so because i picked them out of the freezer and it went in the crate which then went straight back in the outgoing delivery freezer so thats impossible unless they a) didnt put it in the freezer b) didnt get put in the frozen compartment of the van or c) the customer didnt put it in the freezer (or is making it up)
Reply 54
Wow.. I bought a 6-pack of crisps once from Tesco and they were out of date. I didn't do anything. How would you even go about complaining?
Original post by louiseyeah
As I'm a low-earning full time student, you can imagine I'm always on the lookout for how to get freebies, etc, and I came across a short article about somebody who complains everywhere he goes, and receives tons and tons of freebies. For instance, his example was when in McDonalds, he wrote to 'Head Office' and received £20 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: in vouchers for the restaurant.So It's got me thinking, if this guy can do it, why can't I? Have any of you ever done this? Or how would you go about it?Yeah, it seems morally wrong, but is it?, considering they are huge capitalist money makers anyway? :cool: :eek3:
Maybe McDonald’s is a big company, but restaurants are actually franchises, and I would imagine it isn’t McDonald’s head office that take the cost for a complaint against one of their franchises. Either way, yes it is morally wrong, not only are you defrauding a company, you are potentially jeopardising the job, or promotion possibilities of a person. Someone is responsible at every level for the smooth running of any business, and if said business is receiving a lot of complaints, this would reflect badly on the employees of that business, at every level. It’s totally irrelevant about you being a low earning student, you are most likely low earning due to the fact you are devoting most of your time to education, in order to help you get a better paying job in the future. Many of the employees you would be “complaining” about, might be in the exact same situation as you, and if not this is their job, and their livelihood, the fact that you think it’s acceptable to do this just reflects on what sort of a person you are.
Original post by Magicboots
this just reflects on what sort of a person you are.

Likewise digging up 13 year old posts to complain about them. Hardly a good use of your time, is it?

Latest

Trending

Trending