The Student Room Group

Which university offers Microeconomics at the doctoral level?

Hey Guys
I am an economics graduate. I completed my Masters's in Economics from the University of Karachi. After my master's, I started working as a lecturer in economics at a government college. Currently, I am applying for my Ph.D. in economics.
I want to pursue a career in academics and research. I am interested in microeconomic theory and applied econometrics. I am also interested in working on policy-related research projects. As many of my colleagues and class fellows are now applying for UK, USA, and Canada for their PhDs, I want to do the same. However, I am interested in studying in the UK. As you know, the UK is expensive, and applying for a Ph.D. is also very costly. I need your help in this regard.
I would be very grateful if you could provide me with some information regarding scholarships and funding opportunities for Ph.D. studies in the UK.
What are the eligibility criteria for a Ph.D. program in the UK?
What is the application process for a Ph.D. program in the UK?
Is any university offering full funding for a Ph.D. in Microeconomics?
As you know, I have to apply for Ielts and GRE, so please tell me about the process and the requirements for both tests. Also, where can I get coupons or discount codes for Ielts study material?
I would appreciate it if you could provide me with this information as soon as possible.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Original post by symakhan
Hey Guys
I am an economics graduate. I completed my Masters's in Economics from the University of Karachi. After my master's, I started working as a lecturer in economics at a government college. Currently, I am applying for my Ph.D. in economics.
I want to pursue a career in academics and research. I am interested in microeconomic theory and applied econometrics. I am also interested in working on policy-related research projects. As many of my colleagues and class fellows are now applying for UK, USA, and Canada for their PhDs, I want to do the same. However, I am interested in studying in the UK. As you know, the UK is expensive, and applying for a Ph.D. is also very costly. I need your help in this regard.
I would be very grateful if you could provide me with some information regarding scholarships and funding opportunities for Ph.D. studies in the UK.
What are the eligibility criteria for a Ph.D. program in the UK?
What is the application process for a Ph.D. program in the UK?
Is any university offering full funding for a Ph.D. in Microeconomics?
As you know, I have to apply for Ielts and GRE, so please tell me about the process and the requirements for both tests. Also, where can I get coupons or discount codes for Ielts study material?
I would appreciate it if you could provide me with this information as soon as possible.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

PhDs work a little differently in the UK from the way you suggest. Pretty much every university with an Economics department (and that's most of them) will offer the opportunity for PhD study.

There are no 'eligibility criteria' per se, you have to be competitive among a pool of applicants, and that invariably means having a strong academic background at undergrad and Masters and maybe some relevant work experience (but not always).

Applications are individual to each university. You have to research where you want to study (by which departments are strong in microeconomics in your case, and where the Supervisors you'd like to work with are). When you've got a list of 5-10 places, you consider making applications.

Funding is extremely competitive, and your first focus should be in your home country, there is precious little PhD funding and less for overseas students.

Sorry, haven't a clue about IELTS and GRE
Reply 2
Hello Everyone

A few days ago, I posted about the study in the UK. I posted some questions in my mind and asked if anyone had an answer. I am pleased to say that I have received wonderful advice and help from many people. I also searched for more information about UK studies and found some really useful information. Here I am sharing all of it with you.

1) The University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics and Political Science, the University of Oxford, and King's College London all offer doctoral-level programs in Microeconomics. Additionally, universities such as the University of Manchester, the University of Sheffield, and the University of Warwick also offer specialized programs.

2) To be eligible for a Ph.D. program in the UK, you must usually have an upper second-class honors degree (a 2:1 or higher) in economics or another related subject. You should also have evidence of potential to pursue research at the doctoral level, as evidenced by relevant experience and/or publications.

3) The application process for a Ph.D. program in the UK typically requires you to submit a proposal outlining your chosen topic and research methodology, as well as your resume, transcript, references, and other supporting documents. You will then be interviewed and assessed by faculty members before being accepted onto the course.

4) Some universities in the UK offer full funding for a Ph.D. in Microeconomics. Usually, these programs are competitive and require applicants to demonstrate excellence in academic credentials, research experience, and potential for future success. The specific requirements may vary from one university to another, so it is best to contact them directly for more information. Additionally, some universities offer partial funding, so it is worth looking into this option. In both cases, you will likely need to submit an application that includes a statement of purpose, research proposal, CV/resume, academic transcripts, references, and other supporting documents.

5) For the IELTS, you can register to take the test on their official website. The requirements for this exam are generally to have a passport and to be able to demonstrate proficiency in English. Depending on your country of origin or residency, additional requirements such as visa documents or proof of address may exist.

6) For coupons and deals on IELTS study material, you can check out following sites, which offer discounts and coupons on various materials. You can also look for deals and discounts on the official IELTS website.

https://www.couponbirds.com/codes/ieltsonline.com.au
https://www.retailmenot.com/coupons/ielts
https://www.coupongot.com/
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by symakhan
Hello Everyone

A few days ago, I posted about the study in the UK. I posted some questions in my mind and asked if anyone had an answer. I am pleased to say that I have received wonderful advice and help from many people. I also searched for more information about UK studies and found some really useful information. Here I am sharing all of it with you.

1) The University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics and Political Science, the University of Oxford, and King's College London all offer doctoral-level programs in Microeconomics. Additionally, universities such as the University of Manchester, the University of Sheffield, and the University of Warwick also offer specialized programs.

2) To be eligible for a Ph.D. program in the UK, you must usually have an upper second-class honors degree (a 2:1 or higher) in economics or another related subject. You should also have evidence of potential to pursue research at the doctoral level, as evidenced by relevant experience and/or publications.

3) The application process for a Ph.D. program in the UK typically requires you to submit a proposal outlining your chosen topic and research methodology, as well as your resume, transcript, references, and other supporting documents. You will then be interviewed and assessed by faculty members before being accepted onto the course.

4) Some universities in the UK offer full funding for a Ph.D. in Microeconomics. Usually, these programs are competitive and require applicants to demonstrate excellence in academic credentials, research experience, and potential for future success. The specific requirements may vary from one university to another, so it is best to contact them directly for more information. Additionally, some universities offer partial funding, so it is worth looking into this option. In both cases, you will likely need to submit an application that includes a statement of purpose, research proposal, CV/resume, academic transcripts, references, and other supporting documents.

5) For the IELTS, you can register to take the test on their official website. The requirements for this exam are generally to have a passport and to be able to demonstrate proficiency in English. Depending on your country of origin or residency, additional requirements such as visa documents or proof of address may exist.

6) For coupons and deals on IELTS study material, you can check out following sites, which offer discounts and coupons on various materials. You can also look for deals and discounts on the official IELTS website.

https://www.couponbirds.com/codes/ieltsonline.com.au
https://www.retailmenot.com/coupons/ielts
https://www.coupongot.com/

Hey, for GRE I think one should take help of academies instead of online websites. I did the same and failed two times but after joining the academy I got 168 marks in GRE and to be honest, I wasn't expecting such a high score but with the support of PassPyschometric(http://passpsychometric.com/exam-tutoring) I achieved this milestone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending