The Student Room Group

The CIE thread 2010 (Results Day: 12 August)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
S-man10
It is the cheapest, in the sense that because it is not modular you pay a fixed rate no matter matter if you enter for AS/A2 i the same session. It is cheaper that way.

Others you have to pay by the paper or by module, which is your decision but comes at a higher price.

Uhh really? :s-smilie: I paid around 133 pounds per subject plus 75 pounds as the registration free.

and where I live, its different for AS and A2 :p:

Hmm true that. :yep:

I prefer modular better, this is too much of a burden :s-smilie:
Reply 41
-M$ Ultr@-
Uhh really? :s-smilie: I paid around 133 pounds per subject plus 75 pounds as the registration free.

and where I live, its different for AS and A2 :p:

Hmm true that. :yep:

I prefer modular better, this is too much of a burden :s-smilie:

Thats your place, are you doing it privately?
Reply 42
S-man10
Thats your place, are you doing it privately?

Nope. Registered from my school.
Reply 43
-M$ Ultr@-
Nope. Registered from my school.

Then your school is charging you way too much.... And its the first time I have heard that its separate for AS and A2. I am paying half that.
Reply 44
S-man10
Then your school is charging you way too much.... And its the first time I have heard that its separate for AS and A2. I am paying half that.

It is separate because at some schools u do AS at the end of year 12 then A2 at end of year 13 while at others you do everything at the end of year 13
Reply 45
S-man10

Erm, the charges for AS is seperate and A2 is seperate and then there is a complete charge for both AS and A2. I'm giving AS and A2 together at the end of the year so probably its more. :h:
Reply 46
heya guys
dis year CIE f up the paper i got BBCC{physics,math(P1 and S1),chemistry,biology} in As last year but this year the papers were hard as ever i studied the whole year i was able to chem P5 easily but P4 question 1 was kind of weird and Ksp,mass peak was difficult i guess rest was fine...physics p5 was eassy but got messed up in 2 nd question was suppose to take out ln of timeperiod (T)but at that time tried so much couldnt sort it out..and paper 4 of phy and paper3 of math i.e. p3 were orrible on same day and i was blank in both the papers..dint knw wt to write..
and p5 of biology was bad and p4 was easy though i h8 biology.i hold a conditional offer frm kings and i wont be able to make up this year very pissed withCIE,the cost of thr paper does'nt make alot of difference i am planning to give res in oct/nov for math ,phy n may be chem..if i dnt score well in res i m gna switch to edexcel board....i heard its easy.
And universities dont see which board is hard or not as they have so many students to finalize anyways i hope the threshold goes down and yea plzz lemme knw abt edexcel board
simi_kaur
heya guys
dis year CIE f up the paper i got BBCC{physics,math(P1 and S1),chemistry,biology} in As last year but this year the papers were hard as ever i studied the whole year i was able to chem P5 easily but P4 question 1 was kind of weird and Ksp,mass peak was difficult i guess rest was fine...physics p5 was eassy but got messed up in 2 nd question was suppose to take out ln of timeperiod (T)but at that time tried so much couldnt sort it out..and paper 4 of phy and paper3 of math i.e. p3 were orrible on same day and i was blank in both the papers..dint knw wt to write..
and p5 of biology was bad and p4 was easy though i h8 biology.i hold a conditional offer frm kings and i wont be able to make up this year very pissed withCIE,the cost of thr paper does'nt make alot of difference i am planning to give res in oct/nov for math ,phy n may be chem..if i dnt score well in res i m gna switch to edexcel board....i heard its easy.
And universities dont see which board is hard or not as they have so many students to finalize anyways i hope the threshold goes down and yea plzz lemme knw abt edexcel board

Interesting. P4 Chem was horrible, even those who get 80+ said so. P4 physics was perplexing. Surprisingly my college found M1 math tough but P3 doable. Do you do variant 41 or 42? We do 42.
Reply 48
-M$ Ultr@-
Erm, the charges for AS is seperate and A2 is seperate and then there is a complete charge for both AS and A2. I'm giving AS and A2 together at the end of the year so probably its more. :h:

I am giving some subject together and its the same fore one whos doing AS for the first time, and one who is doing only A2 after being satisfied with his AS results. For us, whether you are doing only only component or both, it is less.

Half of what you are paying.
Reply 49
Done with A Levels for life! :biggrin: (omg hopefully lol)

Hope I get to meet my offer of BBB in Chemistry, Maths and Physics for University of Toronto. Really hope I do. But Chemistry Paper 4 and Maths Paper 3 were disasters. If the thresholds drop (considering they went bad for everyone) I think I have a decent chance of scoring a good grade. God. :/

Oh well. Till then...I am going to enjoy these holidays. :smile:
Reply 50
S-man10
I am giving some subject together and its the same fore one whos doing AS for the first time, and one who is doing only A2 after being satisfied with his AS results. For us, whether you are doing only only component or both, it is less.

Half of what you are paying.

this doesnt make sense
Reply 51
ny2ko
It is separate because at some schools u do AS at the end of year 12 then A2 at end of year 13 while at others you do everything at the end of year 13

Yes I understand you. but I think what she was saying that even if you decide to do them all together in the same session, you would pay separate for AS and A2 regardless.
Reply 52
ny2ko
this doesnt make sense

I meant that I am giving a combined AS/A2 for some subjects. Therefore my fees is no different that one who is just doing AS or just A2.

Plus I think that you only had registration fees for the private candidates only?
Reply 53
S-man10
Plus I think that you only had registration fees for the private candidates only?

Not true.
Reply 54
S-man10
I meant that I am giving a combined AS/A2 for some subjects. Therefore my fees is no different that one who is just doing AS or just A2.

every1 pays those fees, then you gotta pay the centre where you are sitting too. gets really expensive
Reply 55
ny2ko
every1 pays those fees, then you gotta pay the centre where you are sitting too. gets really expensive

Maybe in your country, but for me I dont think I have paid the registration fees, maybe in a past session but I dont remember. You would have to pay the center, but since my school is my center. I dont need to.
Reply 56
S-man10
Maybe in your country, but for me I dont think I have paid the registration fees, maybe in a past session but I dont remember. You would have to pay the center, but since my school is my center. I dont need to.

I does depend whether you in the UK or not i guess but you gotta realise that CIE is done internationally more than any other and I think the only other is edexcel and those prices really aint cheap overall. How much do you pay per module??
Reply 57
ny2ko
I does depend whether you in the UK or not i guess but you gotta realise that CIE is done internationally more than any other and I think the only other is edexcel and those prices really aint cheap overall. How much do you pay per module??

80 per subject for CIE.

30 per module of Edexcel
Reply 58
S-man10
80 per subject for CIE.

30 per module of Edexcel

some subjects are cheaper, well in my school when you do sciences you gotta pay extra cause of using the labs. so overall then they are about the same then?? right??
Reply 59
ny2ko
some subjects are cheaper, well in my school when you do sciences you gotta pay extra cause of using the labs. so overall then they are about the same then?? right??

for CIE or edexcel?

I am not sure what you mean. For CIE, in my school, the price per subject is fixed regardless of the subject and the no of papers the subject has.

I dont know about edexcel, it may very well be more for the science but I am not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest