The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accepting of international students?

Hi everyone,

I am strongly considering UoN for a year's exchange in the middle of next year, and because it is a fairly new exchange programme for my university I'm not able to hear what returning students thought about it.

I am just wondering, are the Nottingham students, in general, accepting of international students? There is a tendency to be "cold" towards international students because they are only staying for a fairly short time thus don't put in much effort to get to know them. I will be staying in the catered halls so I'm hoping to make quite a few friends, but I'm worried this might not happen because people can't be bothered getting to know me!

Cheers.
Reply 1
We have a huge number of international students in Notts, on exchange programmes, full-time courses and year placements. If you want to intergrate, you will; if you'd prefer to stay with others sharing similar cultures, then you can find that too, so as long as you're willing, you'll meet plenty of people! The biggest barrier tends to be English language, but you seem to speak it well :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
DarkWhite
We have a huge number of international students in Notts, on exchange programmes, full-time courses and year placements. If you want to intergrate, you will; if you'd prefer to stay with others sharing similar cultures, then you can find that too, so as long as you're willing, you'll meet plenty of people! The biggest barrier tends to be English language, but you seem to speak it well :smile:

Haha, well I am from Australia so I'd hope that my English skills are up to scratch! Hopefully that might be a bit of an icebreaker too :P Although I've heard the English don't really like Aussies so :\
Reply 3
AussieE
Haha, well I am from Australia so I'd hope that my English skills are up to scratch! Hopefully that might be a bit of an icebreaker too :P Although I've heard the English don't really like Aussies so :\

lol it won't be a problem at all - if anything you'll have girls all over you for the accent :p: Bring something cool like a boomerang! :biggrin:

But yeah, you won't have a problem :smile:
Reply 4
DarkWhite
lol it won't be a problem at all - if anything you'll have girls all over you for the accent :p: Bring something cool like a boomerang! :biggrin:

But yeah, you won't have a problem :smile:

Haha, that would be brilliant except I'm a straight female. However I hope the British guys like Aussie girls too!
Reply 5
Are there any prejudices against American students? I'm studying abroad next semester and I'm definitely willing to integrate. I also heard British guys like to take advantage of American girls, is this true? lol
Reply 6
krober20
Are there any prejudices against American students? I'm studying abroad next semester and I'm definitely willing to integrate. I also heard British guys like to take advantage of American girls, is this true? lol

Lol where did you hear that.. :confused: .

Anyway, if you make the effort to integrate, you will get on fine, no one will just hate you because you are American! Just may be a bit of friendly US hating (as a joke) but it'll be fine.

I don't think British guys go out to take advantage of American girls, never heard that before.. I'm pretty sure they don't take advantage of girls based on their nationality lol..
Reply 7
lmao That's just what everyone has been telling me, but good to hear it's not the truth!

Latest

Trending

Trending