The Student Room Group

A levels that you found way more interesting/horribley boring compared to GCSE?

Hi
I was just thinking , how i'm pretty much basing most of my A level choices on/completley overlooking other subjects on content at GCSE rather than actual A level content (probabley not very clever)

So I just wondered if there were any A levels people had chosen that got alot more interesting at A level or alot more worse? or if it was just completley different?

Scroll to see replies

English Lit and Lang is horrible compard to GCSE for me.
Sociology at A Level is better then at GCSE I think.
Bio is **** in A-levels
ICT was totally different to a level.
English lit and History is fricking torture at AS. Seriously.
Reply 5
History, I had to drop it because it was so bad :smile:
They may have been good at GCSE, but English literature and History are ******* awful at AS.
Reply 7
I found History more interesting personally, as you get to study the topic in greater depth and look at different perspectives of an event. And I don't do sociology, but I know people who do & who took it for GCSE, they all say its so much more interesting at A-Level.
Sociology is better at AS than GCSE, same goes for Art.
Reply 9
TheMeister
They may have been good at GCSE, but English literature and History are ******* awful at AS.

I agree, I am still doing English Lit, but it is hardly my favourite subject :yep:
Reply 10
Chemistry is so so hard.
Biology is dull.
Maths is harder but more interesting, you need to do more work yourself.
History, easiest of my subjects. But very boring (we do a boring course though).

Just remember to stay on top of your work and don't underestimate it :smile:.
I've loved year 12. So fun!
Reply 11
Biology and Economics A level have got more interesting whilst Pe and Geography (well edexcel Unit 2 anyway) have got a lot worse although Pe is interesting its a lot harder than gcse
Reply 12
GCSE Chemistry was a pile of crap, boring and lame. AS Chem however is much more interesting and generally, I love it :tongue:

GCSE Biology was pretty good on the whole, I hate AS Biol.

GCSE Spanish seemed hard at the time, but I think I learnt more in the first month of AS Spanish than over the 2 years for sure. Very similar though, just with harder language, more complex structures etc. Harder but much more interesting.
English was SO dull in comparison to GCSE. I studied Catcher in the Rye and some poetry at GCSE, which I really really loved, and then come A Levels, we study the dullest stuff. It was up some people's street though, just not mine.

History was much better at A Level than GCSE, but really hard work.
Reply 14
English AS was hideous compared to GCSE, and words cannot describe the utter torture that is A Level Music when compared to GCSE.
A level further maths is MUCH more interesting that GCSE maths!
Personally, I like the AS biology course, or half of it (one of the modules) but that might just be because we have a really good teacher.
Reply 16
Maths for me got really boring after GCSE...but I did quite a lot of maths so think it was just the monotony of doing the same sort of thing for hours every day, I love A level Physics, but can't remember the GCSE, AS level Chemistry I think would have been more interesting than the GCSE, if I'd actually tried at it, but can't say for sure...think those were the only three that I did both a GCSE and an A/AS level in :hmmmm:
Chemistry - terrible at GCSE, really interesting/amaze at a level (more difficult though, just to warn ya)
Physics - TERRIBLE, don't be fooled by it being "fun/understandable/ineteresting" at GCSE, IT'S NOT. It may just be our syllabus, but everyone apart from the physics-nutcase boys regret taking it, all 60 of us.
History - bit more boring.
Maths - same ol' maths tbh
Reply 18
Yeah, Chemistry was boring at GCSE. Far more interesting at A-level. Particularly the organic stuff.
Reply 19
i think it depends on the course you're studying. you can study something reallyyy bad like american railways or something, or more interesting stuff. history's difficult, but really interesting i think. i'd say try and find out the syllabus you're going to be studying and see if you'd like it... but i guess history's history at the end of the day.

Latest