The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BOMB!!!!

No, not really. But I do think that I probably wouldn't be able to have a normal conversation or be friends with her. It would be too weird.
OceanSoul
Well, I'm religious. I do the daily prayers, fast. I like learning as much as possible about the prophets' lives, the way they lived and try to follow hadith, some certain rules as much as I could. And I base my future plans on what God would be happy with. No, I don't wear the hijab, and although I know what is right and wrong according to religious law, I'm not going to lie about not following all the rules. I believe we are expected to follow rules as much as we could - as they are for our best. But most importantly, it is important to have a good character and be beneficial to others. I hope to have a good connection with God and not be mislead. I think I summed it up for you.

No, it is not obligatory to cover your face in Islam. Prophet Muhammad only said it is important to cover your hair, chest and body - only leaving out the face, hands and feet. Extremism in EVERY WAY is bad.

The Prophet peace be upon him never said that those that you mentioned SHOULD be seen. Just that they could be seen is the view in the light of the authentic sources. And btw, exclude the feet from your list.

It is approved, at the very least, if not obligatory.

Btw, extremes have two ends dont they?
Reply 62
I think: this person does not want to interact with others when outside.
Reply 63
want to kill her
Reply 64
Her body and she has freedom of religon however I do feel sorry for her.
I'm used to it :teehee:

Nah I'm not really fussed. Whatever butters your toast.
Reply 66
Tiberius
What do you think?

For example:

- Nothing at all, don't notice her because I am used to it.
- Glad she is taking her religion/culture seriously.
- Happy that she can wear what she wants.
- Sorry that she feels the need to wear it.
- Conscious that she is purposefully hiding herself from the likes of me (if male).
- That it is an affront to British culture and values.

i feel happy. I jump with a salama Alaikum with a grin.
Disgusted :sigh:
Reply 68
I have never walked past a woman who is wearing a burka which makes me think my life is incredibly unvaried. :o:

Obviously, I've seen them on TV and stuff but still... thinking about it, I'm surprised that I've never seen someone in a burka in real life.
Reply 69
Leto
I have never walked past a woman who is wearing a burka which makes me think my life is incredibly unvaried. :o:

Obviously, I've seen them on TV and stuff but still... thinking about it, I'm surprised that I've never seen someone in a burka in real life.

Would you like me to dress up and go on cam for you? :wink:
Saw a couple of burka-wearing women today and wondered how the hell they can cover everything apart from their eyes in this heat. Then one spoke to the other and I wondered how they can actually hear each other.

I then took a swig from my can of Lilt and continued walking on.
Reply 71
MJlover
i feel happy. I jump with a salama Alaikum with a grin.

So, why don't you wear one?
maybesBABY
In summer I think 'cor I'm wearing next to nothing and I wanna take this off, I wonder how she must be feeling' :frown:.

I've seen women wear it in Dubai and Egypt, I suppose you get used to the heat.

In all honesty getting through summer wearing a burka isn't all that hard in the UK though:p:
Reply 73
Tiberius
So, why don't you wear one?

Cos I don't feel like it.
Its not compulsory.
I used to be like WTF ... Now I am more like I feel sorry for the women of Islam, why should they have to suffer, especially now it is Summer, whilst the men get to whatever they want and it's almost like saying it's ok for men to stare at other women, no matter if they are married, it's almost as if to say it's the female's fault for not covering herself up.
Reply 75
Nadiiiiia
I've seen women wear it in Dubai and Egypt, I suppose you get used to the heat.

In all honesty getting through summer wearing a burka isn't all that hard in the UK though:p:

abaya is pretty good with summer, a loose one with light material. Wear minimal under, like shorts or something, its nice and cool.
I reckon a burka is a kind of psychological barrier as much as a visual one. It's just one of those things - if you can't see someone's face, you can't connect with them. That's why a burka can generate mistrust, like blacked-out windows on a car can make you think 'Oh, look, the drug dealers have arrived,' when in fact it's just a shy person.
People can wear what they like, but they should bear in mind the effect they have on people around them by hiding their true identity (which they are welcome to do, but might cause mistrust).
Reply 77
kiwietnana
I used to be like WTF ... Now I am more like I feel sorry for the women of Islam, why should they have to suffer, especially now it is Summer, whilst the men get to whatever they want and it's almost like saying it's ok for men to stare at other women, no matter if they are married, it's almost as if to say it's the female's fault for not covering herself up.

No, I wear abaya (like burka) in the summer and its less sticky compared to wearing trousers, the air goes in under and its better than having you skin out and getting it burnt.
Men are told in the Qur'an to lower their gaze. Looking at an unhijabed woman is a sin for the man, as is women checking out men.
They both earn the sin, one for looking, the other one for not covering.
Being uncovered is no excuse for a muslim man ogle.
Reply 78
.... wouldn't it be cool if that was really a ninja? Ninjas are cool. I wonder if I stood still for long enough I could fade into the background. That'd be awesome.

Or, in other words, on the offchance I even noticed, it would probably just trigger a random thought process that has nothing to do with the burqa or any implications of it.
MJlover
abaya is pretty good with summer, a loose one with light material. Wear minimal under, like shorts or something, its nice and cool.

I wear an jilbab all the time:smile: if it's warm then I'll just wear some summery clothes underneath it. You can also get some really nice maxi dresses:p:

I often get asked "Aren't you hot in that?" :rolleyes: No.

Latest

Trending

Trending