The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
When i was at kent there was a boy there who was not interested at all. His mum had dragged him to 4 open days and it was pretty obvious that Uni weren't for him. Not really weird but its all I've got
Reply 61
Only wierd thing I got was at Nottingham when an overly keen mother who used to go to Nottingham and a rather apathetic (but fit :smile:) daughter started arguing and bickering the whole time. Even when it was quite quiet.
Reply 62
I went to an open day (I hesitate to say which one because they might come and kill me) and the student guide, who was a great guy, pointed out a wierd society that had just met across the road. Apparently these guys would meet in the forest in the middle of the night and have swordfights :lolwut: . Anyway they were your typical goth/emos, and I turned to my dad and cracked the joke "I didn't know your friends were here!?". My Dad is Lebanese, and neither his English nor grasp of sarcasm is great, so he engaged in a 5 minute staredown with some wierdos.
Reply 63
psychocustard
Yes :smile: It's very casual, and people don't dress up here. You won't be the only one having to translate for your parents though, so don't worry :smile:

Okay, I'm glad of that.
How come? Well, anyway, I don't think my parents will ask me to translate everything, besides, my dad understands English (not British accent, but I won't tell him that until we get back :P), and my mum's dancing partner is British, so... besides, they both speak Spanish and French. Not the best really, but it helps.

Ok, so we dress casually, but... what about parents? (Besides, is it normal to go with parents or you go alone, or what?)

Sorry for all these questions, but I have to prepare a lot of things (hotels, train to Paris, the Eurostar, trains within England - my mum is scared of flying, so, no planes xD), and I'd like to know at least a bit about what I will find there (I am obviously more scared about Cambridge than Southampton... I guess I need not explain why).

Thanks. :biggrin:
SergioMZ
Okay, I'm glad of that.
How come? Well, anyway, I don't think my parents will ask me to translate everything, besides, my dad understands English (not British accent, but I won't tell him that until we get back :P), and my mum's dancing partner is British, so... besides, they both speak Spanish and French. Not the best really, but it helps.

Ok, so we dress casually, but... what about parents? (Besides, is it normal to go with parents or you go alone, or what?)

Sorry for all these questions, but I have to prepare a lot of things (hotels, train to Paris, the Eurostar, trains within England - my mum is scared of flying, so, no planes xD), and I'd like to know at least a bit about what I will find there (I am obviously more scared about Cambridge than Southampton... I guess I need not explain why).

You just tend to get quite a few foreign students with their parents who don't speak English - there were quite a few at the Portsmouth one, at least!

And the parents are the same. It's basically just a casual outing, if there's no interviewing or anything like that, so I wouldn't worry. You're not expected to go in suits! And it depends - most people will go with parents nowadays, but quite a lot of people will go on their own as they figure that they'll be at the uni by themselves, so they should go to the open day by themselves, too. It depends what you're more comfortable with :smile: Don't worry too much about it, and just try to relax and focus on the bits of each uni that you like :smile:
Reply 65
SergioMZ
Okay, I'm glad of that.

Parents are fine, most people go with them.
Reply 66
guy at mine had a huge afro, and looked so similar to that guy in superbad it was unreal, his hair was MUCH bigger though
and his dad just asks out loud, so ladies, what do u think of my sons hair?
followed by just silence, DAM i felt bad for him
Reply 67
I have to say myself, I was being quite wierd on open day at LSE. We were given seats in the theatre hall, and before the speakers started talking, they put on slide show of all the famous alumni and ex staff at the LSE. I was pretty much in awe when they showed Karl Popper and some other famous dude (I am wierd) so I thought I would whisper a quick prayer to saying "Oh please let me make my offers so I can go to LSE". I didn't notice the girl next to me was trying to talk to me, so when I regained my sense of conciousness I turned around to see the girl with the most startled face, probably thinking "what a NUTTER- chatting away to herself!"
Hahahahah :rofl: I didn't feel that embarrassed, even though she did know people from my school...
Reply 68
Antifazian
The weirdest people I saw were the parents sat in lectures frantically scribbling down everything the speaker was saying (why!?), and then asking pointless/obvious/already been answered questions at the end. :rolleyes:

If I went to open days, that would have been my mum. :h:
Subscribbbbed..

I've not had anything weird :frown: It's annoying when people ask already answered questions though!
Reply 70
at one of the accomodation days they had to send us into the rooms in 2 lots as there were so many of us. I went in first, and then we all had to shuffle out and stand in the corridors whilst the others went in. I was standing on my own at the end next to a girl and both of her parents talking very loudly, and opposite me were a girl and a boy constantly snogging and then pulling sad faces at each other (I think it was only one of them who was going). I did not know where to look. So I got my phone out and pretended to text someone...longest 5 minutes of my life.
Reply 71
Bettina <3
SOAS. It was the only place I saw people like that!

Oh s**t.
Reply 72
Me and my twin bro are probably some of the wierd extroverts that you guys are talking about :frown:

I hate open days when you get people latch on to you.At the UCL general open day, and at the Interview day, we had this girl sit wth us all day, telling me how we should both accept UCL as our firms, apply for the same accomodation and be best friends at uni... It was SO hard to shake her off.

I saw the wierdest people EVER at my Leicester open day. People looked terrible - greasy hair, awful. This one boy sat a few rows ahead of us sat there picking his nose, like properly dining out on the contents of his nose, all through the introductory lecture.So gross and it did leave a bad impression of the uni ( haa im so shallow)
some guy in the Q&A section of the nott med school open day with a strong yorkie accent belted out "SO WHATS THIS ABOUT NOTTINGHAM BEING THE GUN CAPITOL OF THE UK"
Bettina <3
I saw a guy with pigtails, and saw some girls dressed in that Japanese lolita style (pic below) with hello kitty handbags. If you think it looks weird on them imagine what it looks like on dumpy English girls.

I havent gone to any open days, but I just finished a foundation year, and at the first day there one of these girls showed up, all in black and pink. A couple of us just thought WTH... She turned out to be great fun hanging out with tho :rolleyes:
Haha, I went to a Warwick open day to study languages with my annoyingly vocal mother. :indiff: Though luckily I didn't visit Newcastle, so I'm in the clear. :wink:
Reply 76
eloise18
Haha I love this thread.
Definitely the scariest I've met are at Oxford, the ones that try to psych you out of applying because they ask your grades before your name :P
Though to be honest I was probably quite weird on the Oxford open day because I was relaxed! Got some serious evils for speaking to a proffessor, another girl (this is the weirdest thing) came up to us and said (i had made the mistake of telling her my grades) " I have 5 A's at AS, she only has ABD (pre-remark) so, umm YEAH" and the professor just looked at her and said "Oh that is nice dear" turned away and carried on talking to me.
Oh and one of the disability advisers and York is pretty odd too...mainly because she got totally the wrong end of the stick and thought I had or had had cancer...:s-smilie:!

at cambridge, this one really mean TEACHER tried to psych me out of applying :fangs:
MisaG
Oh s**t.

I know. There were normal people there too, just my eyes were drawn to the numerous girls with pink, lacy parasols and boys with naruto headbands and strange hair (they all had offers too). I'm sure they're lovely people. Just odd dressers and maybe a bit too "wapanese". They look like they'd get on my tits, but again I might be wrong, I didn't talk to any of them.

Did you go to an open day there and see anyone like that? (I presume you're going there from your response!)
Reply 78
infernalcradle
at the open day for SGUL....had some dude who recognised someone off TSR there....went up to him....

"Hi, I'm XXX from TSR...aren't you YYY?.....I loved your post on ZZZ"

:facepalm:

Loool! We must find this person XD
Reply 79
LongTallAlly
There was the mother who offered my colleague and I a holiday at her water mill in France if we could help her son get into our uni, she was quite memorable.

Did you take her up on the offer? :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending