The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Bart's Sports and Exercise Medicine iBSc 2022-23

Hi guys, I have recently accepted my offer to study my SEM iBSc at QMUL next academic year (2022-23).

I was wondering if there are any others (internals or externals) who would like to make a group chat or direct me to an existing one?

It might be nice to get to know each other before the course starts, and for externals like myself to organise housing with others :smile:
Original post by gj_gym
Hi guys, I have recently accepted my offer to study my SEM iBSc at QMUL next academic year (2022-23).

I was wondering if there are any others (internals or externals) who would like to make a group chat or direct me to an existing one?

It might be nice to get to know each other before the course starts, and for externals like myself to organise housing with others :smile:

Hi, I also recently accepted an offer for SEM at QMUL for next year! Like yourself, I am also an external student and am in the same position of looking for potential housemates. Do you want to exchange details or something? Also if you have found any groupchats i would be grateful if you could add me, thanks!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Ahh that's great news! I'll PM you so we can exchange contacts.

And as for group chats, I've been on the lookout but haven't found anything - I have found a couple of internals for SEM next year so maybe we could start a group chat of our own?
Original post by gj_gym

Congratulations on the offer! :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions about studying here at QMUL.

- Kavita (Student ambassador)
Reply 4
Hi,

I am thinking of applying to SEM iBSc, is there a chat room to talk with students currently attending the course?
Reply 5
Original post by swiberg1
Hi,

I am thinking of applying to SEM iBSc, is there a chat room to talk with students currently attending the course?

Not that I'm aware of. QMUL runs a webinar open to students thinking of intercalating where you can ask the different BSc course leads questions, but I can't remember at what point of the year this happens.

When I applied, I went off the information QMUL provides on their website and searched for people who are/were on the course on LinkedIn. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about the SEM iBSc here :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by gj_gym
Not that I'm aware of. QMUL runs a webinar open to students thinking of intercalating where you can ask the different BSc course leads questions, but I can't remember at what point of the year this happens.

When I applied, I went off the information QMUL provides on their website and searched for people who are/were on the course on LinkedIn. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about the SEM iBSc here :smile:

Wow thank you for replying so quickly! I was just wondering if you enjoy the course now and during the research project can you choose from a list of options or create your own?
Also I am currently writing the personal statement, and I am unsure what to include, would you have any words of advice? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by swiberg1
Wow thank you for replying so quickly! I was just wondering if you enjoy the course now and during the research project can you choose from a list of options or create your own?
Also I am currently writing the personal statement, and I am unsure what to include, would you have any words of advice? :smile:

Haha no problem, I didn't realise I had email notifications turned on!

To clarify, I did the course last year (have graduated now) and I really enjoyed it! The modules are super interesting, you get a really thorough introduction to research, you get a wide range of examination/coursework formats, and the staff are all really good. A couple things to be aware of that I wish I was told before applying:

QMUL say this is a mixed-methods learning degree (i.e. a mix of online and in-person). I would be tempted to say it is more of a remote degree. Each module (5 of them excluding the project) has only half a week of in-person teaching at Mile End split up as 5 half days, so you will be spending the vast majority of your study time behind a screen. It meant the cohort never really got to know one another, and most people decided to live at home (across the country) - at the little in-person teaching we did have, attendance was poor.

I stayed in student halls, and my contract ran out before the year ended! It meant I had to move mid-semester and commute for exams, which wasn't ideal.

I think we had the option of creating our own research project, but I don't know of anyone who did this - we were given a list to select from, but I think MSc students were encouraged to make their own.

As for the personal statement, I structured it a bit like UCAS - some background about myself and why I am interested in SEM, past relevant experiences that showed my interest and why I would be suitable (this should be the bulk), and then QMUL/course-specific points. The SEM iBSc is really focused on research, so be sure to touch on this in your statement.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by gj_gym

To clarify, I did the course last year (have graduated now) and I really enjoyed it! The modules are super interesting, you get a really thorough introduction to research, you get a wide range of examination/coursework formats, and the staff are all really good. A couple things to be aware of that I wish I was told before applying:

QMUL say this is a mixed-methods learning degree (i.e. a mix of online and in-person). I would be tempted to say it is more of a remote degree. Each module (5 of them excluding the project) has only half a week of in-person teaching at Mile End split up as 5 half days, so you will be spending the vast majority of your study time behind a screen. It meant the cohort never really got to know one another, and most people decided to live at home (across the country) - at the little in-person teaching we did have, attendance was poor.

I stayed in student halls, and my contract ran out before the year ended! It meant I had to move mid-semester and commute for exams, which wasn't ideal.

I think we had the option of creating our own research project, but I don't know of anyone who did this - we were given a list to select from, but I think MSc students were encouraged to make their own.

As for the personal statement, I structured it a bit like UCAS - some background about myself and why I am interested in SEM, past relevant experiences that showed my interest and why I would be suitable (this should be the bulk), and then QMUL/course-specific points. The SEM iBSc is really focused on research, so be sure to touch on this in your statement.

Hi!
Im also interested in applying to the same iBSC! Thank you for all of your advice and guidance on this thread. I didn't realise so much of the course would be online, I was wondering how your experience with that was? Is it a lot of prerecorded lectures or is it more like covid style zoom learning haha
I was also wondering if you would be comfortable sharing your PS? Im currently writing mine too :smile:

Thank you so much!!
Reply 9
Hi
I got an interview for this course and was wondering if anyone has any advice for interview prep?
Reply 10
Original post by gj_gym

Hi HiI got an interview for this course and was wondering if anyone has any advice for interview prep?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending