The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

University of Derby Thread

Welcome to the University of Derby thread!

Are you looking to study at the University of Derby?
Do you need information about the university without searching through millions of threads?

Well this is the thread for you! Below is a list of the most important threads posted and discussed on The Student Room forum along with other important websites to help you make the right decision. Feel free to use this thread for general chat about the University of Derby and to ask any questions that you may have.

University of Derby Homepage
Click Here

University of Derby Virtual Tours
Click Here

General University Guide
Click Here

A students guide to the university
Click Here

'What Uni's' review of the University of Derby
Click Here

University accommodation
Click Here

Students thoughts of Halls of Residence
Click Here

Living in Derby
Click Here

FAQ's

1) Whats the Proportion of single sex and Mixed sex flats?

Not sure what the proportion is, but I applied for halls very late on and got my preferred choice of single sex accomodation. FYI, ground floor is all guys, 1st and 2nd is mixed and 3rd is all girls The chances are if you specify that you wish to stay in single sex accomodation you will most probably get it.

2) When is the best time to apply for digs?

Soon as they open so you get the best chance of getting first choice applications can be made from mid-Feb, so just keep checking the halls page on the website.

3)The Best bit of Uni life at Derby?

Everything! The student nights in town are epic, Walkabout has fancy dress most Wednesdays, Syn is brilliant for a more dancey/top 40 nightclub atmosphere, NoNo8 and BlueNote are really popular on Mondays too. The uni is excellent, the lecturers are very helpful and the amount of support available for students is huuuuge. Living in halls is awesome, you meet so many cool people and the halls are in great condition, they all look new and clean and I haven't heard anything negative.

4) The worst bit of Uni life at Derby?

Early morning/late night lectures, the late night ones are a killer as they last until 9pm but I honestly can't think of anything truly awful. Sorry

Thanks to 'LadyGaGa' for answering these questions.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any Derby postgrads on this forum? How are you finding it? I'm about to start there.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
I've been looking for future class/flatmates, and the buddy website has really helped!

http://buddies.derbyuni.uk.net/pg/dashboard
Reply 3
Moving in day is slowly creeping its way across the calender and just before it does I burst in to ruin its sorry excuse of an occasion.

Anyway, hi, I'm James =P Second Year at Derby Uni, second year at Nunnery Court. If you have aannnnyyy questions whatsoever that the lil guides don't answer don't hesitate to reply to me or pm me. Decent pubs? Cheap noodles? I know answers to them all. (p.s. No, for the last time, I don't know when Student Finance England will get their act together, ask a different question XD)
Reply 4
Hello James,

Glad there are more University of Derby veterans to help out the fresher's. More the merrier!

Any freshers have questions then post away and i hope you all had a great night last night, at the street party at Saddler Gate!
Reply 5
Ooh I have a couple of questions :-)

On UDo one of my modules isn't showing up, it's listed on the student centre bit that you get to via 'personal', but isn't on the 'course resources' page. Should I consider this a bad sign, or just a sign that the lecturer doesn't want to use blackboard? (It's the Rocks, Minerals one for stage 1)

Other question, I've looked on both the timetable thing on blackboard and looked for the actual physical noticeboard for one other module and I'm having trouble finding out the room. Physical noticeboard when I went on Thurs had only stuff for last year, and the online one lists 10 different rooms! On the online one I selected semester1 and just next week but I still ended up with about five different slots on the screen and all those very many rooms... Am I doing it wrong? And is there anywhere else rooms might be listed other than online timetable or physical noticeboard?

Thank you for any help :-)
Reply 6
Clotty
Ooh I have a couple of questions :-)

On UDo one of my modules isn't showing up, it's listed on the student centre bit that you get to via 'personal', but isn't on the 'course resources' page. Should I consider this a bad sign, or just a sign that the lecturer doesn't want to use blackboard? (It's the Rocks, Minerals one for stage 1)

Other question, I've looked on both the timetable thing on blackboard and looked for the actual physical noticeboard for one other module and I'm having trouble finding out the room. Physical noticeboard when I went on Thurs had only stuff for last year, and the online one lists 10 different rooms! On the online one I selected semester1 and just next week but I still ended up with about five different slots on the screen and all those very many rooms... Am I doing it wrong? And is there anywhere else rooms might be listed other than online timetable or physical noticeboard?

Thank you for any help :-)

Well hello there fellow Geologist.
Rocks, Minerals and Gemstones is run by Prof. Hugh Rollinson so I would suggest ringing his office extension as I assume you are in halls. It is (1786) if you can't get a hold of him then go to the programme leader, if your on HND its Lee Pridmore (01332 592156) if your on the BSc it should be Roger Suthren (01332 591734).
As RMG runs in semester 1 then it should be appearing on blackboard so give them a ring and they will put your mind at rest.

The online timetables usually show more than one room booked but at the same time. If you look at the timetable then say you have 5 rooms but one begins with T1..... thats the one you want as the geology department is based on the 1st floor of T-block and as a 1st year you will allways be around there. (Unlike us second years)

Hope I helped
Reply 7
Philster07
Well hello there fellow Geologist.
Rocks, Minerals and Gemstones is run by Prof. Hugh Rollinson so I would suggest ringing his office extension as I assume you are in halls. It is (1786) if you can't get a hold of him then go to the programme leader, if your on HND its Lee Pridmore (01332 592156) if your on the BSc it should be Roger Suthren (01332 591734).
As RMG runs in semester 1 then it should be appearing on blackboard so give them a ring and they will put your mind at rest.

The online timetables usually show more than one room booked but at the same time. If you look at the timetable then say you have 5 rooms but one begins with T1..... thats the one you want as the geology department is based on the 1st floor of T-block and as a 1st year you will allways be around there. (Unlike us second years)

Hope I helped

Yes you did thank you :smile:
Anybody on TSR going to the Derby open day on the 27th November? I'm quite intrigued by the Business Management course, and the Kedleston Road campus looked great on a video on the website, as did the accommodation nearby. I'm just going there to get a vibe for the place, and see what I can find out about the subject.
Reply 9
Sequoia Throne
Anybody on TSR going to the Derby open day on the 27th November? I'm quite intrigued by the Business Management course, and the Kedleston Road campus looked great on a video on the website, as did the accommodation nearby. I'm just going there to get a vibe for the place, and see what I can find out about the subject.

Might be up there as i'm part of the archery team and last year we shot up at ked road on saturday's about 1ish. So far we are getting together another venue whuch might end up being a private sports hall
Philster07
Might be up there as i'm part of the archery team and last year we shot up at ked road on saturday's about 1ish. So far we are getting together another venue whuch might end up being a private sports hall

Ah awesome. :smile: Just got my train tickets earlier, so it's almost definite I'll be there now. Leaving Newcastle at 6:21 and getting there 8:51. Leave Derby at 15:44.

Out of curiosity, how often does the shuttle bus run between the uni and train station? And is it free only to uni students or free for anybody?
Reply 11
Sequoia Throne
Ah awesome. :smile: Just got my train tickets earlier, so it's almost definite I'll be there now. Leaving Newcastle at 6:21 and getting there 8:51. Leave Derby at 15:44.

Out of curiosity, how often does the shuttle bus run between the uni and train station? And is it free only to uni students or free for anybody?

Well there are 3 services the university rubs the 4, 5, & 6. The 4 is free and runs between the campuses (IE ked road, Markeaton street & Britania Mill). The 5 Runs from Ked. road to the hospital and the 6 goes to the train station. (A single journey on either the 5 or 6 costs £1.60 (10p more than last year but still cheap)
Philster07
Well there are 3 services the university rubs the 4, 5, & 6. The 4 is free and runs between the campuses (IE ked road, Markeaton street & Britania Mill). The 5 Runs from Ked. road to the hospital and the 6 goes to the train station. (A single journey on either the 5 or 6 costs £1.60 (10p more than last year but still cheap)

Ah thanks, I'll be on the lookout for the 4 then. And they all run like outside the train station? Or is there a short walk?
Reply 13
Sequoia Throne
Ah thanks, I'll be on the lookout for the 4 then. And they all run like outside the train station? Or is there a short walk?

lol no no you have the wrong end of the stick, only the 6 goes to the station. The 5 goes to the hospital and the 4 only services the other campuses
Philster07
lol no no you have the wrong end of the stick, only the 6 goes to the station. The 5 goes to the hospital and the 4 only services the other campuses

Ah right so it's the 6 I need. :p: On the Derby website in the open day FAQs (http://www.derby.ac.uk/opendays/faqs) it says:

If you're coming to the Derby Campus

We provide a free minibus shuttle service which will take you to and from the train station. The first minibus leaves the station at 9am and the service continues until 4pm. It's a white minibus with our name on the side. At the station, look out for our friendly student helpers in bright orange University of Derby t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Is that talking about the 6? Or will it be a seperate service they put on?
Reply 15
Sequoia Throne
Ah right so it's the 6 I need. :p: On the Derby website in the open day FAQs (http://www.derby.ac.uk/opendays/faqs) it says:

Is that talking about the 6? Or will it be a seperate service they put on?

Ahh yea thats a separate service (us geologists use those minibuses for field excursions lol) for open days and then they might have it on move in day. (when u get to ked. road there are guided tours to the halls and essentially everywhere). If you get on one I lived in Sir Peter Hilton last year (very busy and good for an epic first year
Philster07
Ahh yea thats a separate service (us geologists use those minibuses for field excursions lol) for open days and then they might have it on move in day. (when u get to ked. road there are guided tours to the halls and essentially everywhere). If you get on one I lived in Sir Peter Hilton last year (very busy and good for an epic first year

Ah right thanks for clearing that up. And funnily enough, I'm thinking of Sir Peter Hilton, purely for the minifridge in my room. :p: How was it like in halls, what were the people like, etc?

I'm wanting to do Business Management, and the course looks good, so if I like the vibe about Derby and the campus then if I get an offer I'll probably firm it and apply for Sir Peter Hilton accommodation. :smile:
Reply 17
Sequoia Throne
Ah right thanks for clearing that up. And funnily enough, I'm thinking of Sir Peter Hilton, purely for the minifridge in my room. :p: How was it like in halls, what were the people like, etc?

I'm wanting to do Business Management, and the course looks good, so if I like the vibe about Derby and the campus then if I get an offer I'll probably firm it and apply for Sir Peter Hilton accommodation. :smile:

Most of the people you will meet in halls are cool and being in halls for your first year is pretty nice aswell. I mean going out the night before 9am lectures, ahhh that was the life.
But yea I mean if you need to do work aswell halls never really come alive until 7pm, the rest of the day is used for hangover recovery or work time :smile:
Last year I managed to go from social outcast right into the spotlight, almost.

As for Derby its a nice town, big enough to avoid people but small enough to make friends and meet them on nights out if you go out with another group of mates.

When you go to this open day you'll get bowled over by the university. I was went round Sheffield Hallam & Hull (Scarbough campus) but aa soon as I walked into the atrium at ked. road according to my parents I instantly lit up and was alot more interested in heading to university, in particular derby
Philster07
Most of the people you will meet in halls are cool and being in halls for your first year is pretty nice aswell. I mean going out the night before 9am lectures, ahhh that was the life.
But yea I mean if you need to do work aswell halls never really come alive until 7pm, the rest of the day is used for hangover recovery or work time :smile:
Last year I managed to go from social outcast right into the spotlight, almost.

Sounds great. I'm so excited for halls based on what my cousins who are at uni have said that like, my firm choice I want to be somewhere which I know I could get the grades to get in. The B&M course is 240 UCAS Points, and I got ABD which is 280, so I'm quite sure I'll get the grades this year. So this means that once I apply, if I get an offer I'll firm it and get applying for halls ASAP. :p:

Philster08

As for Derby its a nice town, big enough to avoid people but small enough to make friends and meet them on nights out if you go out with another group of mates.

When you go to this open day you'll get bowled over by the university. I was went round Sheffield Hallam & Hull (Scarbough campus) but aa soon as I walked into the atrium at ked. road according to my parents I instantly lit up and was alot more interested in heading to university, in particular derby.

That sounds great too. I mean just watching some videos on YouTube of Derby alone (especially Ked. Road) has got me pretty excited.

Thanks for the responses btw, I appreciate it. And now, I just have the waiting game to play. Need my references before I can send off my UCAS form, so hopefully this week they'll be done. :p:
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me what the offers were that they got? I'm wanting to do Education studies and drama joint honours, and it says the typical offers are 180-240, could people just tell me examples of their offers, because I think 180-240 is quite a large point range, and I want to know more specific offers people get. Thanks :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending